Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

27 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I cannot see them getting more than £40m for him

Aye they say 50 million now but theres no chance they get it. 

Championship, bad finances already, no relegation wage drop clause and only one year left.

They can't afford to keep him.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Hold on a second. You’re from Pakistan, currently living in the US and you go out of your way to listen to a British radio station that annoys you?

Heads up, @wykikitoon you have a challenger.

The Youtube algorithm has picked up that NUFC fans are all of a sudden desparate for content, it will feed me just about anything. I think I listened to about 5 minutes of Goldbridge or whats his name the other day. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

If you think 50m for Maddison is a bit much, Southampton supposedly set the starting price for Ward Prowse at 52m 😂

Can't blame them for trying :smile:

5 hours ago, Polarboy said:

If you think 50m for Maddison is a bit much, Southampton supposedly set the starting price for Ward Prowse at 52m 😂

They have set a starting price and are waiting for an auction to reach almost those terms. And if they get that interest, they may sell it for expensive prices.

We sold Sissoko (30) Wijnaldum (25) after being relegated almost 10 years ago when the economic power of the teams was not so high.

Burnley sold Collins (21) and Cornet (18) last year after falling out.

Ake was sold by Bournemouth for just over 40 million.

And I remember in recent times movements that are quite high for players who come out of the Championship. Bellingham, Joao Pedro, Watkins, Buendía, Pickford, Ramsdale, Sessegnon, Godfrey... All at prices between 25 and 30 million. Even Maddison himself left Norwich for almost 25 million to join Leicester.

There are teams like Aston Villa or Wolverhampton that seem willing to make money. Others like Everton who will have to rebuild so as not to experience the same relegation problem. West Ham could be forced to participate in this auction if Rice leaves. Even Tottenham could be an option. We'll see how Arsenal does if they don't get Caicedo.

If Southampton and Leicester get two or three teams to fight for them from a fair starting price that could be around 25-30 million... Perhaps they are close to one of them raising the bet to 40 million and approach those 50-52 who say they ask.

• Like 2

£50m for maddison is a more than fair price in today's market. he scored 10 goals from 30 games last season for a poor Leicester team. 

18 goals the season before that, 11 the season before that. 9 the season prior. 

he guarantee goals from midfield. 

90min having mentioned Sosa the Croatian left back as an option for us. He apparently has the same agents as Pope and a few other players at the club. He could be a great shout. He's 6'1 so could perhaps do that three man defence when we're out of possession or Trippier is bombing forward that Burn does, and he's an assist machine himself. Although having looked at his stats he'd perhaps need extra coaching from Howe to improve the defensive part of his game. 

If Caulkin over at the Athletic is to be believed players like Diaby and Szoboszlai are out of our price range this window. Or rather it's probably the case that if we're to fill all the positions we need we can't blow significant chunks of our budget on one or two players. Which is why we're being linked to players from relegated clubs. I suppose if we can get Maddison for 45m instead of the 61m for Szoboszlai that would make sense. There was some debate over who would ask for more wages but perhaps Szoboszlai asked for higher wages than we anticipated. It has been reported that he and a few others have asked for really high wages. It probably doesn't help that the crown prince of Saudi is currently flashing the cash for the likes of Benzema,  Kante etc. It will become much easier when the ad/CL tv revenue starts rolling in, we build a decent squad, and are able to go after just a couple of players per window, and obviously trade players at big prices compared to what we paid initially consistently. 

Personally I’m not paying much attention to what the press are saying, I think we’ve constantly played down how much we can spend each window. People are saying Szoboszlai is out our price range but we bought Isak for similar after narrowly avoiding relegation and having dog shit sponsors, and still brought in a number of others (Botman, Gordon, Targett, and Pope). If the discussion is £50m for Maddison and £60m for Szoboszlai that’s a fairly negligible price difference for FFP over a 5-6 year contract. 

We will be smart as we always are but these articles about us shopping the scrap heap of relegated sides is disrespectful iyam, Maddison I can accept but links to players like Tyler Adams, Kyle Walker-Peters etc are a joke. We’ve signed Botman, Trippier, Bruno, Isak, etc during relegation fight/near miss seasons I really don’t think we’re going to be heavily investing in the pool of relegated players tbh, our focus will be on quality players. 

• Like 2

Caulkin is usually pretty accurate comparatively to other journos though. As for what we've done in the past there's a few things which might explain why we won't be paying over 50m for a single player this window. One reason being that we have already spent quite a bit in other windows, another being that we need to build out a squad with greater depth and numbers as opposed to concentrating on two or three players, and lastly we likely need to keep an eye on our yearly wage bill and those more premium players will obviously be asking for premium wages. My attitude is to have relatively low expectations, and then I'll be pleasantly surprised if we manage to get a Szoboslzai, Veiga, etc.  

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

If Caulkin over at the Athletic is to be believed players like Diaby and Szoboszlai are out of our price range this window. Or rather it's probably the case that if we're to fill all the positions we need we can't blow significant chunks of our budget on one or two players. Which is why we're being linked to players from relegated clubs. I suppose if we can get Maddison for 45m instead of the 61m for Szoboszlai that would make sense. There was some debate over who would ask for more wages but perhaps Szoboszlai asked for higher wages than we anticipated. It has been reported that he and a few others have asked for really high wages. It probably doesn't help that the crown prince of Saudi is currently flashing the cash for the likes of Benzema,  Kante etc. It will become much easier when the ad/CL tv revenue starts rolling in, we build a decent squad, and are able to go after just a couple of players per window, and obviously trade players at big prices compared to what we paid initially consistently. 

yeah, i can't see that impacting our budget. the only thing constraining us is FFP. 

As the owners have been careful so far in terms of trying to stay within the constraints of FFP they might think there’s a good chance we won’t get too 4 again next season, with Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool not being in the CL and Villa looking like a good outfit going places, Brighton knocking on the door etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Spurs have opened talks with Leicester over Madison, according to Talksport

Signing for us in the next couple of days then 

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season