Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Craig Hope is saying that our transfer budget is between £70m & £80m with the posibility of increasing it to £100m based on sales this summer or expected next.  That last bit makes no sense to me unless it's something like players being loaned out for this season with a guaranteed sale next year.  He also says that the caveat is that we've gone beyond our budget in previous windows.  Chicken nonce levels of covering his back there!

Not a lot that is it tbh with the amount of work we still need to do.  Maybe just keeping fans feet's on the floor.  Plus, who really goes out and says they have a budget of x? 

i'd be amazed if we spend less than we have in the two previous windows given the imminent influx of champions league and commercial revenue. 

• Like 2

it may be that the club are using the likes of hope and edwards to tell selling clubs we won't be having the piss taken out of us. 

tbh, i see us spending north of 150m, possibly close to 200m

• Like 2

Aye I can't see it being accurate and the likelyhood of them letting reporters know a budget seems extemely slim to me.  FFP is obviously a concern but surely they know what we have is way short of where we need to be to play in the champions league and compete for top four again next season.  Surely they will be able to pick up more commercial deals over the next year to cover FFP.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it may be that the club are using the likes of hope and edwards to tell selling clubs we won't be having the piss taken out of us. 

tbh, i see us spending north of 150m, possibly close to 200m

Assuming he isn’t making it up, that’s the only feasible option. Because why would the club tell a journalist their actual budget? Especially the way we’re ran these days 

• Like 2

Aye this is what I’m meaning, it’s clearly what the club want everyone to think rather than being truthful. We’ve got far higher revenue coming this season, including a huge increase in sponsors, even an increased wage bill wouldn’t explain a budget half what we had when we were battling relegation. It’s the same as when Edwards was being told £50m was all we had. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Tbf, I could see Walker-Peters just because of his ability to play both sides to a good level but he’d basically be an expensive utility player. Especially if Tierney came in to be the outright LB

Aye that’s along the lines of where I could see it being a possibility, but it’s not what these reports imply - a £70m budget would mean Walker peters would be our starter :lol: I don’t buy it for a second tbh. 

As for Caulkin he’s a decent journalist but I wouldn’t say he’s more accurate than others? He’s more an opinion piece type than being right about breaking news. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye that’s along the lines of where I could see it being a possibility, but it’s not what these reports imply - a £70m budget would mean Walker peters would be our starter :lol: I don’t buy it for a second tbh. 

As for Caulkin he’s a decent journalist but I wouldn’t say he’s more accurate than others? He’s more an opinion piece type than being right about breaking news. 

hope is about as reliable as anyone for accuracy

49 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

hope is about as reliable as anyone for accuracy

Agreed, we do seem to have this exact same discussion about budget every window before splashing north of 150m mind :lol:. Additionally the Hope story states we have a 75m budget then proceeds to list a bunch of midfielders that would cost 75% of that or more :lol: 

As Alex mentioned the club would never put out a figure. That’s why I agree with your point that it’s likely smoke and mirrors. There’s a lot of gaming you can do with FFP, if we’re so restricted by it that we can only sign the likes of Tyler adams and Kyle Walker peters we can forget competing tbh :lol:.

We’re also about to drop £7m on a youth prospect, so already down to the mid£60m range :(. Makes you wonder how we were okay in the prior 3 year period if we are so strapped for this one despite the massive increases in TV and sponsor money

Edited by Howay

Per these reports then if we hadn't finished 4th we'd have a budget of around $20M this summer? Righto. 

Nobody knows shite. I think the club will have a list of minimal targets to get, and some to be monitored if a good deal becomes available like Isak last summer. We're probably looking at 2 top quality players like Maddisson and 2-3 decent ones to boost the squad and upgrades the likes of Burn/Murphy/Miggy. That sounds like $150M at least. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, i can't see that impacting our budget. the only thing constraining us is FFP. 

I meant that players will look at the wages in the Saudi league and expect a certain level, while obviously not on that level, still at a premium level. I didn't mean that the Prince is suddenly going to run out of cash. 

3 hours ago, Howay said:

Well I think he's less likely to talk shite if he hasn't got a clue. 

https://sportwitness.co.uk/newcastle-preparing-make-staggering-offer-midfielder-club-will-make-good-use-money/

L’Equipe are suggesting that we're going in with a big offer for Szoboszlai soon. It apparently affects RC Lens in that Leipzig are after one of their players as a replacement, and if we give them a big fee they'll be able to make a good offer to Lens. Hopefully L’Equipe are more in the know than Caulkin et al. 

Someone on twitter posted this:

Newspaper Transfer Budgets v Actual Transfer Spends

January 2022: £50m v £85m

Summer 2022: £60m v £120m

January 2023: £20m v £48m In other words...they don't have a clue!

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 3

Probably another bullshit rumour but interesting nonetheless, he really caught the eye in the last Euros but I think suffered a bad inury this season. From what I remember him playing for Italy seemed to have tons of pace and energy, can't say I've seen much of him for Juve.

• Like 1

Chiesa is a risk As he had a pretty bad injury, though when he was fit he was well worth watching out for. . Is rabiot available on a free? Think he’s out of contract. Could be useful?

Edited by tinofbeans
Typo

i on't understand this mindset. surely you'd go to the club with the best chance of winning the leauge and and the champions league. he's not getting either if he goes to man u

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i on't understand this mindset. surely you'd go to the club with the best chance of winning the leauge and and the champions league. he's not getting either if he goes to man u

In fairness to him, the scoring record keeps him remembered for longer. If he wins the La Liga most people would forget that in a year or two. If he overtakes Shearer then IMO he'd be somewhat relevant for maybe 3 years before Haaland goes past him :cuppa: 

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season