Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Diego21 said:

From what I have been able to find out, what the Arabian Super League is proposing is the proposal for a wild card invitation for the 2024-2025 season. I don't know if for one or more teams.

That would allow them to play in the Uefa Champions League without having to change the confederation or the country, or the clubs, or anything. It is something similar to what has happened some times in which teams like Qatar or Japan have participated in the Copa América. Even in 2015 they invited Spain, and we rejected it.

Regarding the level of the championships, what they are studying to enter one of the 10 best leagues in the world is simply the market value of the squads.

The study was done in January (done by a British sports intelligence agency called Sport Twenty Group) and the Saudi Arabian Super League was ranked 58th in the world.

I don't know which are the 10 most powerful Leagues, but I imagine that the Championship will possibly be in the 7th or 8th position.

I cannot see how UEFA will be able to get a Saudi wild card through, there would have to be a majority support from the National associations and honestly there is nothing in it for them or the clubs involved with the Champions League.
Copa America is different, it's a tournament held over a number of weeks and is a competition of national teams, no different to a WC or Confederation Cup. BTW Australia was meant to play the year of the pandemic but pulled the plug on that once the plague took hold.
The CL is held over 4/5's of a season. To include team(s) from another continent means more travel costs and no additional revenue to UEFA, the middle east already pays a small fortune for the TV rights. Plus how could you include the ASL winners in Pot 1, the rankings would be a joke.

@Diego21 I don't doubt you but I just have to question why it would make it past being laughed out of the room.

Australia compete in the EUro Song Contest, so anything is possible.

16 minutes ago, sammynb said:

I cannot see how UEFA will be able to get a Saudi wild card through, there would have to be a majority support from the National associations and honestly there is nothing in it for them or the clubs involved with the Champions League.
Copa America is different, it's a tournament held over a number of weeks and is a competition of national teams, no different to a WC or Confederation Cup. BTW Australia was meant to play the year of the pandemic but pulled the plug on that once the plague took hold.
The CL is held over 4/5's of a season. To include team(s) from another continent means more travel costs and no additional revenue to UEFA, the middle east already pays a small fortune for the TV rights. Plus how could you include the ASL winners in Pot 1, the rankings would be a joke.

@Diego21 I don't doubt you but I just have to question why it would make it past being laughed out of the room.

Australia compete in the EUro Song Contest, so anything is possible.

I think every club in Europe would benefit in some way from having Saudi Arabia on their side. All the clubs have some direct relationship with the Emirates and want to do business there because that is where the money is.

Barcelona is sponsored by Qatar.
Real Madrid is sponsored by Emirates, has several schools in various countries there and continues to negotiate a project to create a sports city there.
Atlético is sponsored by Saudi Arabia.
The Spanish Super Cup is played in Saudi Arabia, so the teams have to agree to go there.
Manchester City is sponsored by Etihad
Arsenal is sponsored by Emirates
Chelsea (Bhoely) have strong business with PIF and surely their next sponsor could be Riyhad.
Manchester United has been negotiating in recent years with PIF to be able to have a sponsorship and sooner rather than later it will come.
We are directly from PIF.
The Italian Super Cup is played in Saudi Arabia, which pays the teams a lot to play there, so the Italian teams, as in Spain, are conditioned.

NUFC twitter will be queuing round the block to post “Good servant, sad to see him go, he could have done a job”. 

Sadly no money in but at least it’s some wages off the books. 

• Like 4

Wonder whether he might have offered something as a squad player in the Longstaff mould had Howe had the opportunity to work with him when he first arrived but that ship has long since sailed. Good luck to him 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Nope he's shite.

hayden is too limited a player for where we are now and it's right to move him on, but i thought the same about longstaff and joelinton before eddie got to work with them. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

hayden is too limited a player for where we are now and it's right to move him on, but i thought the same about longstaff and joelinton before eddie got to work with them. 

Longstaff had at least shown something under Rafa and was looking extremely promising until Bruce turned up.  Joelinton it's hard to say he'd looked promising although all his team mates seemed to rave about it.  Hayden never had anything other than getting stuck in.  I think it's telling that Howe immediately wanted nothing to do with him.  He's a good coach but he can't do anything with players of that standard.  I've seen next to nothing of Luton but I can't imagine he'll get much game time for them.   He's not a premier league level player at all and with the injuries he's had the last couple of season I can only imagine he's getting worse.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Just pay him off FFS

Say he is on £40k a week. Thats £4m in wages. Say we offered 2m in settlement. Depending on his injury (and I’m just guessing he failed a medical) he might not get another team so he’d be throwing away £2m of personal wealth. 

If he is fit enough then we might as well just keep him in hope someone takes him in loan for next 2 seasons until his contract expires. 

Edited by Holden McGroin

Hoping there's a chance for a CB loan deal somewhere still. With the number of games this season can we really expect to cross our fingers and hope Schar and Botman stay fit? 

Many of us including myself thought Burn would be reasonable cover at CB with Hall in. I'm a bit less confident about that after Sunday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Cucurella off to Man Utd on loan. £2m seems like decent deal if they can get him playing well. 

Chelsea on the other hand….must be desperate to trim wage bill. 

Briefly caught a transfer show on sky yesterday. A few lads on there were Chelsea fans and they said that most Chelsea fans wanted him gone. But this lad seemed level headed and said there is definitely a player in there. Me personally glad we didn't go for him on his haircut alone. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season