Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

54 minutes ago, ThatGinolaVolley said:

Isn’t it worth keeping them around for european squads, as they are homegrown?

They are the weakest of our midfielders and it's not like we are short of homegrown players.

Longstaff's main problem at the minute is that he's wrecked. I'm not saying he's not a limited player who will need to eventually be upgraded, but it's not that long ago that he was seen as a huge miss in the midfield, when he was out injured.

• Like 8

I read on Twitter that he has been playing injured for a couple of months now. He needs injections to get through games and an operation in the summer.

if that’s true then admire him for not wanting to let the team down. Playing injured is a thankless task as his performances will get picked apart and there is nothing he can do.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I read on Twitter that he has been playing injured for a couple of months now. He needs injections to get through games and an operation in the summer.

if that’s true then admire him for not wanting to let the team down. Playing injured is a thankless task as his performances will get picked apart and there is nothing he can do.

I don't doubt this for a moment. He's a player who has built his game on the humility of pure effort. He's limited. I whinge about him as much as anyone. Well almost. But I do love him.

I would be incredibly sad to see Longstaff sold. The club needs a core of local players for host of reasons, not least of which is the custodianship of the club's identity and connection of the team to its support base. To sell Longstaff might make sense in raw numbers and in terms of bringing in players with more ability. But there is something to be said for a player who will happily play his career out for the club and do so with every inch of effort and energy and soul that he has in him. In a certain sense, the likes of Longstaff, Burn, Miley and Anderson as first team regulars are the tangible link between club and community on the pitch. There's a magic to that that I'd hate to see lost. There's a romance to Newcastle United that attracted me in the first place. I'd hate to see that go away too soon as we make only measured and calculable steps towards the top of the pile. I'd prefer that romance remained and we did things in the way that made us love this club in the first place.

In saying all that, I reckon we should hoy the tea lady to Chelsea for megabucks. She's the best in the business. Don't make us put her on gardening leave!

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 7

A bit like Burn, I think Longstaff is a victim of how quickly the squad has developed. He was an integral part of the starting XI last season, but compared to Bruno, Gordon, Tonali, Isak etc. he looks like a championship player at times 

• Like 2

He fits in well with some midfielders and not with others, and it also depends on the other team. If there's someone pressuring the opposing team Longstaff can be well positioned to take away passing options. When we have the ball he loves to break into the right side of the box where he often has space. If he is carrying an injury it would explain why he has been less effective of late, however if that was the case with Willock back fit you would think Howe would give him a break. I guess we'll see in the coming games.

• Like 2

He’s a good enough squad player for now and gets through loads of work off the ball when he’s not injured but he’s not technically good enough for where we want to be in the future.

I’d be looking to sell if a bid north of £25m came in 

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Anderson has a higher technical ceiling and is worth keeping on

He's worried he may be sold (genuine ITK)

The problem with both is that they don't possess that elite footballer brain so any fast flowing, pass and move, attack is likely to break down when they receive the ball. The likes of Bruno and Tonali are always a few passes ahead so know exactly where they're putting the ball before they even receive it. 

• Like 3

Everything said above is true and yes it is a wonderfully romantic notion to have as many local players in the squad but we cannot keep them all.

When it comes down to it do you want Brunos and Big Joes or Longstaffs and Andersons (I don't think EA has the legs/speed to be a Howe first team player).

And honestly, are they going to be happy being second or third choice for the position they play?

Perfect world we have some locals in the stiffs, that will never be better than mid-table PL or Championship club players that Ashworth's first job at Man U is to over pay us for them and the leftovers are off to Forest.

But we currently don't and are a long way off, having that conveyor belt of academy players.

34 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

He's worried he may be sold (genuine ITK)

Would he be happy to be 2nd or 3rd choice?

That's what will happen if he stays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Longstaff is, Anderson isn’t 

KCC, if you were to look at our midfield and order them strongest to weakest, where do you honestly place Anderson?

I don't see who besides Ciggy that I would place him in front of?

Bruno>Tonali>Big Joe>Little Joe>Miley>Anderson>Longstaff - you could possibly swap 2nd to 4th in the order of your preference, same with 5th to 7th but for me Miley at 17 has a lot more potential.

Those last three are worth more to the club in FFP value than their betters.

Just trying to look at this from a business sense from the club's perspective.

• Like 1

Say, for argument’s sake that we wanted to keep Anderson. But FFP meant that any half decent bid would see him likely sold. Then wouldn’t that be a fucking ridiculous state of affairs? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OTF said:

He fits in well with some midfielders and not with others, and it also depends on the other team. If there's someone pressuring the opposing team Longstaff can be well positioned to take away passing options. When we have the ball he loves to break into the right side of the box where he often has space. If he is carrying an injury it would explain why he has been less effective of late, however if that was the case with Willock back fit you would think Howe would give him a break. I guess we'll see in the coming games.

Thing is, I think we have Longstaff's natural replacement at the club already. Miley is already showing that he's at least as good as Longstaff and really it's only the physicality where he falls short and that will come with age.

If you overlay Longstaff and Bruno, then Miley and Bruno you see that Miley is the better partner.

image.png.368430792356f9fa7cc147745044b5bf.png   image.png.5d281788624862fb34d7d1992b433d0f.png

But Joelinton is the best

image.png.a320638f8771d0bd1d48645515f6fed4.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Say, for argument’s sake that we wanted to keep Anderson. But FFP meant that any half decent bid would see him likely sold. Then wouldn’t that be a fucking ridiculous state of affairs? 

It's kind of where the club is though, isn't it?

Ashley left the squad in such a state that any glimmer of local talent, is currently worth more as a saleable asset.

Think of the shite that are still on the books and worth nothing: Hayden, Hendrick, Fraser, Lewis - only Hendrick is off the books at the end of this season.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Thing is, I think we have Longstaff's natural replacement at the club already. Miley is already showing that he's at least as good as Longstaff and really it's only the physicality where he falls short and that will come with age.

If you overlay Longstaff and Bruno, then Miley and Bruno you see that Miley is the better partner.

image.png.368430792356f9fa7cc147745044b5bf.png   image.png.5d281788624862fb34d7d1992b433d0f.png

joelinton's looks a bit like a dmt crystal.

48 minutes ago, MrBass said:

The problem with both is that they don't possess that elite footballer brain so any fast flowing, pass and move, attack is likely to break down when they receive the ball. The likes of Bruno and Tonali are always a few passes ahead so know exactly where they're putting the ball before they even receive it. 

i agree regarding longstaff, who is a hard-working but limited player.

it's too soon to say that about anderson. i've been impressed with the glimpses we've seen of him so far. i also get the sense he is playing within himself - he has been instructed to keep it simple, to play for the team and retain possession, but technically he looks a level above longstaff.

we've only see it in flashes given his limited minutes with the first team but he has ability on the ball to go past a man, which longstaff doesn't, and he looks like he has vision too. i feel really sorry for him with his injury this season as he would have had loads of opportunities to show us what he can do. i'd give him another season or two to see how he develops. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It's kind of where the club is though, isn't it?

Ashley left the squad in such a state that any glimmer of local talent, is currently worth more as a saleable asset.

Think of the shite that are still on the books and worth nothing: Hayden, Hendrick, Fraser, Lewis - only Hendrick is off the books at the end of this season.

The other thing to consider is that we've put hype onto Anderson. He's not really shown enough to make me think selling him is a bad idea. Under Ashley he looked like a huge prospect but that's because we were grading him against who we had in the first team; Hayden, Shelvey, Hendrick, Longstaff. Now he's fighting for a place against the likes of Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali, Willock, Longstaff, and Miley. I'm not writing him off, he's only played 826 minutes in the top flight, Miley has more than that this season alone.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i agree regarding longstaff, who is a hard-working but limited player.

it's too soon to say that about anderson. i've been impressed with the glimpses we've seen of him so far. i also get the sense he is playing within himself - he has been instructed to keep it simple, to play for the team and retain possession, but technically he looks a level above longstaff.

we've only see it in flashes given his limited minutes with the first team but he has ability on the ball to go past a man, which longstaff doesn't, and he looks like he has vision too. i feel really sorry for him with his injury this season as he would have had loads of opportunities to show us what he can do. i'd give him another season or two to see how he develops. 

If you were in charge, what would be the lowest bid you'd let him go for?

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

longstaff isn't impressive on the ball. he always seems to need a touch or two more than our other midfielders.

you can't knock the amount of work he gets through - his running off the ball was invaluable to our pressing structure last season and we missed him when he wasn't starting games. he also makes some great forward runs into the box and arguably should have loads more goals if he was a better finisher. 

but he's at the age where he isn't going to suddenly get loads better at the more technical side of the game. i like him as a squad player. i don't think the plan was for him to be an almost ever-present this season. but if there's one player to shift from the squad to accommodate a new midfield signing, he's the one. 

i agree that miley looks like he has the potential to be a upgrade on longstaff once he physically matures as he's streets ahead technically already. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Fish said:

If you were in charge, what would be the lowest bid you'd let him go for?

longstaff? not sure, we're into football manager territory now, but you'd expect at least £20m in this market for an english player with his amount of PL experience wouldn't you?