Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Depends on the system but Bruno does have the flexibility to either play as a pair of 6s in a “double pivot” or as one of the number 8s in a three man midfield. 

Jesus titty wept - did i just post that? 

Yes ok, what about when we decided in general just the other day that the main reason we’re shite is because we’re fuckin knackered and major tactical tinkering is tricky half way through the season though? Or do you just want to repeat Dave and whatever pod cast you last listened to? :lol: 

For me, major tactical surgery can wait till Tonali is back because looking at it now that is what he was brought in for with the champions league very likely in mind. If Phillips or whoever is a success between now and the end of the season that may well see us playing with a two in midfield which apparently is immediately very popular this morning with Tonali being the other one :good:

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yes ok, what about when we decided in general just the other day that the main reason we’re shite is because we’re fuckin knackered and major tactical tinkering is tricky half way through the season though? Or do you just want to repeat Dave and whatever pod cast you last listened to? :lol: 

For me, major tactical surgery can wait till Tonali is back because looking at it now that is what he was brought in for with the champions league very likely in mind. If Phillips or whoever is a success between now and the end of the season that may well see us playing with a two in midfield which apparently is immediately very popular this morning with Tonali being the other one :good:

I don’t think major tactical tinkering is needed or will happen. I’m not convinced Howe wants to move to a 4-2-3-1, at least not in the short term. He would want to embed it in a proper summer pre-season. 

I think buying a proper DM in the modern sense is a must though. Not a ball-winning sideways pass merchant such as Batty or Ince because the game has evolved. And you don’t need to watch some stat twat on YT to see that. We all play out from the back now, right? So your number 6 has to be a technical player who can receive it under pressure, drop a shoulder and play it forwards. Bruno can play in that position but he’s the only player in the squad really capable of it. We really are fucked if he picks up an injury. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Honestly think Tonali was bought to play further up the pitch, I'm sure he can play ok as half of a double pivot, but his most valuable area of the pitch is surely 30-40yd away from their goal. Him and Bruno up there, and a DM behind them. sticking with the 4-1-2-3/4-1-4-1.

I suppose ideally the aim would be to have a versatile squad. Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff, Miley, Tonali, Willock are all able to play in midfield, but each offer a different threat. Powerful running from Joelinton and Willock, passing from Miley and Tonali, tenacity and discipline from Longstaff and Tonali, and of course Bruno is the most complete of them all. 

Willock and Joelinton could play as 8s who burst forward and wide, Miley and Tonali could play more intricate passing moves, and you could mix and match a runner, a passer and so on. 

What we don't have is a disciplined, defensive midfielder. Someone who can retrieve or receive the ball around our box and progress the ball to the attackers. Bruno isn't a DM, he wants to attack, he wants to get up the pitch.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly think Tonali was bought to play further up the pitch, I'm sure he can play ok as half of a double pivot, but his most valuable area of the pitch is surely 30-40yd away from their goal. Him and Bruno up there, and a DM behind them. sticking with the 4-1-2-3/4-1-4-1.

I suppose ideally the aim would be to have a versatile squad. Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff, Miley, Tonali, Willock are all able to play in midfield, but each offer a different threat. Powerful running from Joelinton and Willock, passing from Miley and Tonali, tenacity and discipline from Longstaff and Tonali, and of course Bruno is the most complete of them all. 

Willock and Joelinton could play as 8s who burst forward and wide, Miley and Tonali could play more intricate passing moves, and you could mix and match a runner, a passer and so on. 

What we don't have is a disciplined, defensive midfielder. Someone who can retrieve or receive the ball around our box and progress the ball to the attackers. Bruno isn't a DM, he wants to attack, he wants to get up the pitch.

Is Phillips the answer here then? Because from what I vaguely remember of him at Leeds was that he was very much like Longstaff, in that he was strong defensively but was always getting up the pitch to contribute to attacks too. 

I could be wrong with that, and think even if I'm not he's still worth a punt just to give us some rotation options. It'll allow Gordon to move to the right and Joelinton left and rest Miggy, or just Joelinton allowing Gordon a rest so it wouldn't be a bad signing even if he's more of the same until the end of the season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Is Phillips the answer here then? Because from what I vaguely remember of him at Leeds was that he was very much like Longstaff, in that he was strong defensively but was always getting up the pitch to contribute to attacks too. 

I could be wrong with that, and think even if I'm not he's still worth a punt just to give us some rotation options. It'll allow Gordon to move to the right and Joelinton left and rest Miggy, or just Joelinton allowing Gordon a rest so it wouldn't be a bad signing even if he's more of the same until the end of the season.

He has the physicality to break forward, but he's way more defensively aware and capable than Longstaff. He can break the press well either with a quick pass or through that strength on the ball. I think he was used by Leeds to support the attacks (and depending on the opponent he could get that license here too), but he's chiefly there to break up play and be that pivot at the base of a midfield three/diamond. 

He's definitely got the right profile for what we need. If we don't get him on loan, then we should 100% have other options lined up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Not according to Dave earlier. But then he changed his mind over the course of a fuckin novella of a post :cuppa: 

May be some miscommunication? Phillips would definitely free up Bruno. 

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I thought you akso said that he could play in 2 in front of the back 4 with Phillips 🤷🏻‍♂️

And he can, but signing someone like Phillips would free him up if we wanted to. 

Bruno could play as half of the double pivot, or we could play Phillips as a single pivot with Bruno further forward as an 8. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

And he can, but signing someone like Phillips would free him up if we wanted to. 

Bruno could play as half of the double pivot, or we could play Phillips as a single pivot with Bruno further forward as an 8. 

What about this season? Just replace Longy/miley with Phillips & Willock/Joelinton when fit?…

20 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If people are turning their noses up at Philips they need to look at our recent benches

I’d sort of agree. but if we want to make the most of this season we can’t afford to spend 7.5 mill on a player who maybe can’t play 90 mins till mid March iyam. 

Whats the Juventus thing? Are they genuinely interested or just being used to elicit an offer? :cuppa: 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

What about this season? Just replace Longy/miley with Phillips & Willock/Joelinton when fit?…

Yeah, set up with either;

Trippier Schar Botman Livramento

Bruno Phillips

Miley

Almiron Wilson Gordon 

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Phillips

Bruno Joelinton

Almiron Isak Gordon 

Or some variation

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

Didn't Phillips play for England during the last break? 

If he did that would suggest a modicum of fitness... 

I could play for England if I could get my tongue up Southgates hoop quick enough.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, set up with either;

Trippier Schar Botman Livramento

Bruno Phillips

Miley

Almiron Wilson Gordon 

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Phillips

Bruno Joelinton

Almiron Isak Gordon 

Or some variation

Miley as the number 10 in front of the double pivot? 

Go On Reaction GIF by MasterClass

• Haha 3