Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Where do you get those players? Theres no guarantee that a player from abroad is going to get up to speed immediately and decent PL players playing regularly now are hard to get.

Yeah, not arguing. Just thinking about Jan 22 though when we got precisely what we needed… it may be possible to get others who slot straight in…

I haven't seen phillips play in fucking ages, because he hasn't, I don't really remember what he's like.

In my head he isn't what we need though, he'd be more like our 8s rather than a more defensive minded midfielder who will sit at the base and allow bruno time to rest/more license to get forward, am I wrong?

Aye Phillips is a very typical holding midfielder. I’m not his biggest fan but he’s the type of player we need to give our midfield balance, as at the moment we have Bruno, Miley, and Longstaff all going forward as 8’s with no one hanging back and teams are just walking right through midfield. Even with Joelinton and Willock there it’s still a type of player we needed, it’s just their all action pressing style helped mask it more. It’s similar to Liverpool getting Endo really, he’s not that great but he does his role and helps the rest of midfield keep pressure on. 

I agree with PL on the keeper tbh, Dubravka doesn’t seem to make a save nowadays he was canny a few years ago but sometimes he doesn’t even seem to move as shots fly in. Think DM, GK, and obviously the right wing are priorities this window. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Aye Phillips is a very typical holding midfielder. I’m not his biggest fan but he’s the type of player we need to give our midfield balance, as at the moment we have Bruno, Miley, and Longstaff all going forward as 8’s with no one hanging back and teams are just walking right through midfield. Even with Joelinton and Willock there it’s still a type of player we needed, it’s just their all action pressing style helped mask it more. It’s similar to Liverpool getting Endo really, he’s not that great but he does his role and helps the rest of midfield keep pressure on. 

I agree with PL on the keeper tbh, Dubravka doesn’t seem to make a save nowadays he was canny a few years ago but sometimes he doesn’t even seem to move as shots fly in. Think DM, GK, and obviously the right wing are priorities this window. 

I think in the next window or two we might need to upgrade on miggy but not sure if you'll agree on that one, don't shoot me if you don't? :good:

• Haha 2

We need another CF as well as a DM. When players return we can put Joe back out wide left or Barnes and move Gordon to the right so we don’t have to use Miggy every game. I don’t trust Wilson and Isak to get through the rest of the season injury free and don’t want to see us use Gordon as CF again - he’s wasted there but can do a job with on either flank. A new RW would be great but I don’t think we’ll be able to do it all in this January window 

Getting another CF or a GK, while they'd serve us well would be short term measures, unless we find someone really surprising who is affordable, available and good enough to provide proper competition to Pope or Isak. I can't see either happening.

A number 6 and a RW are both longer standing issues in the squad who we can actually upgrade long term with a more likely january deal. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Howay said:

I wonder if that's partly because when he was regularly playing under Benitez, the system forced opponents to gamble on lower percentage shots, so he looked like he made lots of saves and his stats were inflated a bit. In reality they were mostly straight down his throat from 25yds+. Now, under Howe because of injuries and fatigue, our more open style means the chances we're giving up are easier?

• Like 1

Dubravka hasn't been good for us since his initial loan spell IMO. I think people remember the first six months when they talk about remembering how "good" he is/was.

He was a half decent shot stopper, but his rashness when rushing out has cost us shit loads of goals down the years. I personally always thought Darlow was a better goalie, although still not good enough for where we wanted to be post takeover.

A goalie has to come in Jan, with Pope out for pretty much the remainder of the season. An LB too if Howe is certain Hall isn't ready.

I am still not convinced by an out right CDM, we didn't need one last season and we were doing fine without one until the injuries piled up. I'd prefer a natural 10, someone that allows us to go 4231 at times and not square peg round holes when we're chasing a game.