Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

€10,000,000 more? I think something has been lost in translation. Even that as a net salary works out at £162k pw post tax.

Most likely the ten million more is in add on's to the transfer fee as opposed to the wages. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

In all honesty I reckon a lot of these Italian journalists are full of shite most of the time 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s daily newspapers there devoted purely to sport but mainly to football and it’s the close season so, aye basically 

• Like 1

Newcastle can sign player with £103m release clause for almost £70m less (tbrfootball.com)

Supposedly we're interested in Darwin Nunez's understudy/former striking partner. His stats on first sight don't look at all impressive, given he only scored seven goals and had one assists in 29 appearances, but 12 of those appearances were fairly short subs on, and he scored those goals once he was starting and had a consistent run in the side. Regardless though if his price really is thirty odd million then it's far too much for someone who's just come on the scene and didn't even play consistently for a full season. Although I suppose the same could be said for Ekitike. It's a risky game the club seem to be playing, as in they're attempting to get players right before they start fulfilling their potential, but I suppose that's the game that sides like Leipzig, Dortmund etc play. There's also the fact that Benfica don't need to sell after getting the fee for Nunez. 

Newcastle offer for signing could reach €20-25m - Youngster has 'pulverised' records - Sport Witness

There's also another story about this Roger Fernandes kid from Braga. That's a lot of money to pay for someone who they'd supposedly have to loan back to Braga given he's still only 16. If it's Ashworth's call he must have extremely high hopes for this kids development. 

Edited by Polarboy

26 minutes ago, Tom said:

In all honesty I reckon a lot of these Italian journalists are full of shite most of the time 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s like the size of their salsiccias who will vary a lot depending who they want to impress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

apparently ekitike is back on and is close to agreeing personal terms

Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Jimbo's telly or I'm out 🙂

Edited by RobinRobin

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

apparently ekitike is back on and is close to agreeing personal terms

Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

It’s his agent fucking about I reckon. The lad is hugely ambitious but he’s the type that wants to play and show what he can do - which is pretty unlikely given PSG’s attackers, by all accounts up until this RMC report he was more than happy to sign and the only thing holding up the deal was agent fees. His agent is probably trying to tempt other offers, or saying he’s heard of interest to get our lot to up the agent fee in a panic to get Ekitike in. 

I think the Botman situation is similar, a lot of this is new to us as we’ve basically been signing rubble for 15 years and now we are aiming for high profile players who are starting to attract (or have) interest from CL teams so we’re in that weird middle ground where the players will come due to the ‘project’ but the agents see a massive pot of money and want to extract as much as they can so they play these games. 

• Like 2

I think this guy isn’t the most reliable source but I’ve seen tweets from other spots on this so maybe something in it. It definitely seems like they’re working hard to improve our youth playing staff, the two defenders they’ve brought in so far, linked to this lad and a Brazilian youth player as well.

The fee is high but I’m not sure how youth players factor into FFP? I remember seeing youth and women teams mentioned as exemptions in some way but I can’t remember if that was just for infrastructure rather than player fees. 

Edited by Howay

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Tbh it's boring now 

Then, and it's just a thought, stop posting every single transfer rumour update from spurious twitter accounts?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Then, and it's just a thought, stop posting every single transfer rumour update from spurious twitter accounts?

I was thinking similar. I'm finding myself shaking my head at people, not necessarily on here, but on other forms of social media who are taking the stance "fuck Ekitike/Botman! We don't fucking want them anyway!"

None of us have any idea how accurate the links are or indeed if they are, how the negotiations are progressing. 

We have to be mindful that the primary attraction to overseas footballers when it comes to playing in England is London & Manchester/Liverpool. That isn't any bias away from other areas of the country, including ourselves, it's just fact. And if we choose to not recognise that, then we're being extremely ignorant. 

Representatives for the players will likely be looking through social media channels to see what the reception is. If they see likes of the comments above, why in the world would they ever recommend their client to consider playing there?

I'm really not getting the argument about why people cannot accept that AC Milan (for Botman) or PSG (for Ekitike) may be more attractive propositions that they at least want to explore. Milan were the Italian champions with a rich history of top Dutch players on their books - Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard. PSG were the French champions with some massive names in the squad and are the biggest club in Ekitike's homeland. Both clubs are in the Champions League. We can't offer any form of European football. Would you expect both these players to sign for West Ham, Leicester, Brighton or Wolves (all of which finished above us) without exploring the possibilty of major European clubs who have shown an interest?

I'd actually be concerned about their ambitions if they DID NOT want to know if a deal was a possibility in both these cases. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Not Happening No Way GIF

• Haha 3

Newcastle United monitoring Bristol City prospect after Under-23s breakthrough | BristolWorld

Supposedly we're interested in a 16 year old attacking mid off Bristol City. Ashworth isn't fucking about in his attempts to overhaul our youth set up if all these links are true, added to the young Irish and Scottish lads we've already brought to or are in the process of bringing to the club. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season