2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

Just now, Gemmill said:

I'd like to see us keep him locked out of transfer activity til summer 2025 tbh. Also I'd make him ask to be excused every time he needs the toilet. That one runs to Jan 2026.

Insist he sits as well. 

9 minutes ago, NJS said:

Does the nature of the job mean that gardening leave is prone to be abused? 

How would you prove that he wasn't directing things in a low key manner - maybe that's why they're supposedly relaxed about the waiting period. 

Aye definitely prone to abuse, but football is so fucking leaky that you'd have to think it would probably get out.

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

In one of the responses to this he says that he's been told that our negotiating start point is actually north of £20m.

Not expecting them to pay that, but it is going to be "a very expensive appointment" for them.

Offff '25 is still a long way off :lol: 

That said, respect works both ways. If Newcastle continue to take the piss with their valuation then we have every right to make life more difficult for them too. Hopefully common sense will prevail and both teams will come to an acceptable compromise.

The IRONY :lol:

Respect chat from the cunts who are trying to poach our staff and have been briefing their mates in the media since before they were in charge that they wanted to do it.

As for making life more difficult for us...how exactly? We have the thing they want, and we have a price. These spoiled cunts just don't understand not being rolled over for.

Its the same when a player is moving, the press and clubs talking about Declan Rice last year was a case study of it. Completely taken for granted by all involved that West Ham were simply going to give him up for nowt and then actual offence taken when they demanded their price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

If the fat one was still running things Ashworth would be having a cup of tea at Old Trafford right now.

He'd have taken him there in his helicopter.

• Haha 1

I think Newcastle's FFP is worse than ours, they cannot afford to stretch this out as much. This is just a hunch though, I can imagine the snapdragon sponsorship & Ratcliff's investment boosts our FFP, together with some very sellable assets in the window.

More not understanding the rules. Do these idiots not realise that if owner investment boosted FFP then WE HAVE THE RICHEST OWNERS IN FOOTBALL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

More not understanding the rules. Do these idiots not realise that if owner investment boosted FFP then WE HAVE THE RICHEST OWNERS IN FOOTBALL.

Sellable assets :smile:

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Are directors' salaries related to PSR? 

I thought they weren't, so we could pay £100m to break a contract and it'd come straight from the back pocket of the Saudis, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Sellable assets :smile:

Aye :lol: players who’ve failed on massive wages and long contracts are a doddle to offload 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

@wykikitoon Talksport have Pardew and Souness on discussing Newcastle if you want to bring on your inevitable massive coronary.

My guess (because I'm not listening to that shit) is Pardew is surprisingly complimentary of the club and the fans and Souness is Souness.

• Like 2

Pretty much, plus Pardew's bullshit about how quickly the fans can turn against you and how any manager is only one game away from coming under pressure.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Pretty much, plus Pardew's bullshit about how quickly the fans can turn against you and how any manager is only one game away from coming under pressure.

we turned against him because he was a one-season wonder and spent the rest of his time as manager fanking mike for being such a supportive owner 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Can we employ his replacement whilst he’s tending the begonias?…. 

Yep. We'll be paying for two people in the same post, but not the end of the world.

• Like 2

Good to hear Eales mention that we’re searching, this dispels any of the Man U fans wet dreams that it impacts us. It’s similar to how it’s handled with managers on the continent really, they don’t sack them they just put them on gardening leave so they continue to be paid for essentially doing nowt. 

I know the Man U fans are all dreaming that Ashworth could work while on leave, of course he could try and get around it but if they were to get caught doing something like that it would be a massive court case and likely something outside of football, I can’t see Man U or Ashworth risking it tbf. At the very minimum I can’t see us letting him have any impact in the summer window, and possibly next January neither.

People don’t seem to be understanding we hold all the cards here :lol:. They pay the contractual amount and he sits on leave for 20 months as stipulated by his contract or they give us whatever we demand. We have no real need for money here, and the other options besides paying us the rate and have him sitting for 20 month is he spends his entire contract out of footy as he’d still be employed by NUFC. The bloke is likely on around £1m a year so I’ve no clue why Man U fans keep bringing FFP up as his cost is negligible regardless of it counts to ffp or not. 

Agree fully with Gemmill that the way Man U have conducted themselves is a fucking disgrace. You’re dealing with a club you’ve had history big timing (see the Lingard deal) so how is the right approach to act like there’s a new party to the relationship to approach only the director himself, along with leaking the approach through limpets like Romano and Ornstein? NUFC still haven’t been approached for their employee, and it’s at the point where his position is completely untenable, yet the press and Man U fans are expecting us “to be reasonable” :lol:. In complete contrast when we made our approach for Ashworth we went to Brighton, dealt with them and accepted their terms. I can see a lot of disgust from our side just from Howe’s responses to the situation so I can only imagine how people like Al Rummayyan will be receiving this type of treatment. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Howay said:

Good to hear Eales mention that we’re searching, this dispels any of the Man U fans wet dreams that it impacts us. It’s similar to how it’s handled with managers on the continent really, they don’t sack them they just put them on gardening leave so they continue to be paid for essentially doing nowt. 

I know the Man U fans are all dreaming that Ashworth could work while on leave, of course he could try and get around it but if they were to get caught doing something like that it would be a massive court case and likely something outside of football, I can’t see Man U or Ashworth risking it tbf. At the very minimum I can’t see us letting him have any impact in the summer window, and possibly next January neither.

People don’t seem to be understanding we hold all the cards here :lol:. They pay the contractual amount and he sits on leave for 20 months as stipulated by his contract or they give us whatever we demand. We have no real need for money here, and the other options besides paying us the rate and have him sitting for 20 month is he spends his entire contract out of footy as he’d still be employed by NUFC. The bloke is likely on around £1m a year so I’ve no clue why Man U fans keep bringing FFP up as his cost is negligible regardless of it counts to ffp or not. 

Agree fully with Gemmill that the way Man U have conducted themselves is a fucking disgrace. You’re dealing with a club you’ve had history big timing (see the Lingard deal) so how is the right approach to act like there’s a new party to the relationship to approach only the director himself, along with leaking the approach through limpets like Romano and Ornstein? NUFC still haven’t been approached for their employee, and it’s at the point where his position is completely untenable, yet the press and Man U fans are expecting us “to be reasonable” :lol:. In complete contrast when we made our approach for Ashworth we went to Brighton, dealt with them and accepted their terms. I can see a lot of disgust from our side just from Howe’s responses to the situation so I can only imagine how people like Al Rummayyan will be receiving this type of treatment. 

Excellent post

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WHEN Manchester United needed a new defender, they quite happily paid Leicester City £80m to sign Harry Maguire. A midfielder? Why not spend £82m to prise Antony from Ajax? A new centre-forward? Here’s £75m to sign Romelu Lukaku from Everton. And that was back in 2017.

None of the above helped address the long-term malaise that has set in at Old Trafford over the last decade or so, so rather than blow the budget on yet another big-name player, Sir Jim Ratcliffe has sensibly decided that his first move as part-owner of Manchester United should be the acquisition of a world-class sporting director capable of overhauling the club’s entire transfer policy. 

If he’s deemed to be that important, though, it’s surely only logical that Ratcliffe will have to pay top dollar to get him. If an error-prone centre-half is priced at £80m, what is the value of someone who can ensure that similar sums are not wasted in the future? Twice that? Four times as much? That’s not the sporting world we live in, but it makes the point.

All of which brings us to Dan Ashworth, and the current stand-off between Newcastle United and Manchester United over the former’s sporting director. Manchester United want Ashworth to be the driving force behind the INEOS-led restructuring of the club’s recruitment operation.

Ashworth wants to be allowed to swap St James’ Park for Old Trafford.

So far, so simple. But, understandably, Newcastle’s executive team do not really want to lose the figure they entrusted to lead their own rebuilding project. And if he is to go, they want to ensure they are properly compensated for the inconvenience of having to recruit a second new sporting director in the space of two years, not to mention the possible damage caused by the departure of someone with detailed knowledge of the club’s transfer policy to a leading rival.

Newcastle are understood to be demanding compensation of more than £20m, but the initial indication is that Manchester United’s new owners regard that as much too high.

Really? Is upwards of £20m too much to pay for someone who is being appointed in the hope of completely transforming the way an entire club operates? Pay £100m for a striker, and you might get a few goals over the course of the next couple of years.

Appoint a world-class sporting director – and for all that his record at Newcastle is chequered, with major question marks hanging over the summer signings of Sandro Tonali and Lewis Hall, that is how Ashworth is regarded within Premier League circles – and you have the potential to supercharge your club’s fortunes for decades.  Newcastle are right to dig their heels in over Ashworth, not least because a large compensation fee potentially has major repercussions when it comes to the club’s ongoing attempts to stay on the right side of the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules. 

If Newcastle receive more than £20m for their sporting director – the vast majority of which will be entered as profit on the P&S balance sheet – it potentially negates the need to sell a big-name player in order to fund purchases this summer. Allow Ashworth to leave for £5m, and you might be waving goodbye to Bruno Guimaraes at the end of the season. Bank £25m instead, and you might be able to sign a new striker while still keeping the Brazilian midfielder on the books. 

And who are one of the clubs consistently championing the current FFP rules, largely because it enables them to retain their own privileged position as one of the Premier League’s biggest spenders? Manchester United, of course, desperate to keep upstarts like Newcastle in their box while they continue to outspend pretty much every team in the league even though they have not really challenged for the title since the days of Sir Alex Ferguson.

Having made a set of rules that encourage clubs to hold out for the maximum possible fee for anyone that leaves them while under contract, it is disingenuous of Manchester United to start wailing and moaning just because they are having to live by them. 

One more figure to throw into the mix. £14.5m. That is the sum, comprised of a loan fee and a Premier League survival bonus, that Manchester United were demanding when Newcastle wanted to sign Jesse Lingard on loan for the final four months of the 2022-23 season. £14.5m for four months of football from a fringe winger who left Manchester United as a free agent five months after Newcastle were quoted that figure, and who is now plying his trade in the South Korean league with FC Seoul. 

That was an outrageous attempt to overinflate the value of an employee who was wanted by a Premier League rival. Newcastle’s demands for more than £20m for Ashworth are anything but.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Spot on. As it stands, this bloke's contract puts him on gardening leave for the thick end of 2 years. It's entirely up to Man United whether they want to pay to shorten that, but it's no skin off our nose if he stops in the house for the next two years, so they WILL have to pay a sum that we're happy with or wait until 2026.

If they refuse to pay, our lot will be all over the possibility of him working for them while we're paying him.

• Like 3