Other Games 22/23

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There's no chance he stays that long though. He'll be at Man City for a few years then off to Real Madrid.

Doesn't he consider Man City 'his club' though? Like Shearer did with Newcastle? 

I know he was born in Leeds, but he's always associated Man City with his old man. I wouldn't be surprised to see him staying for quite some time. 

Nah, just because there a few pics of him in a Man City shirt when his dad was playing for him doesn't mean it's his club. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a clause in his contract similar to the one he had at Dortmund saying that he can go for a certain price during a set timeframe in the future.

Caught an interesting debate on the radio yesterday - which 3 teams do you reckon are likely to be relegated? In most seasons, 3-4 teams jump out as obvious contenders but this season the 3 could come from a wide range. 

I think Bournmouth will definitely go and my instinct is Forest's gamble will falter as the season progresses. The remaining team for me could be any from Leicester, Villa, Everton, Palace, Brentford, Southampton or Fulham.

I think Leicester could be in trouble this season. You look at the squad and it certainly looks to have enough about it to stay up comfortably but after the start they've had and only adding one player in the window their morale will definitely be low and only a run of good results can resolve that. Tielemans' form fell off a cliff in the second half of last season and they're relying on a 35 year old Vardy and James Maddison to get the goals for them. I like Rodgers as a manager but they're going to be really up against it this year.

I know it's fashionable not to like him but he got Swansea promoted and finished 11th in their first season in the PL. He took Liverpool from 8th to within a Gerrard slip of the title. At Celtic he repeatedly won everything there was to win (I know this one doesn't count) and at Leicester he took them from mid table to twice very nearly qualifying for the Champions League.

He isn't everyone's cup of tea but he does consistently improve teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I know it's fashionable not to like him but he got Swansea promoted and finished 11th in their first season in the PL. He took Liverpool from 8th to within a Gerrard slip of the title. At Celtic he repeatedly won everything there was to win (I know this one doesn't count) and at Leicester he took them from mid table to twice very nearly qualifying for the Champions League.

He isn't everyone's cup of tea but he does consistently improve teams.

Except Leicester

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Except Leicester

They’ve won one fa cup in their history and he was the manager. He’s absolutely in love with himself but he’s definitely a decent manager. Not many managers (virtually none) have sustained success at a club. That’s just football. There’s no guarantee Howe is still making progress here even a couple of years down the line. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Except Leicester

Last season no but you can't argue that he didn't in previous seasons. Given that he has a net spend there of £8m over four years he's done quite well. I can see that coming to a screeching halt this season though.

• Like 2

Yeah he comes across as an arrogant self-loving prick, but there's no denying he's a decent manager. Had he been the owner's choice back in November, there's few would have been complaining.

Whatever is going on at Leicester at the moment, I don't think he is the cause.

16 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Except Leicester

There's more afoot at Leicester than just Rodgers. 

Their owner said last night that they can't afford to spend money on transfers because they're at their limit in terms of FFP/P&S. 

They've had a few expensive gambles fail to bear fruit and that's had a knock on effect. Now they've a swollen squad with overpaid average players that nobody wants to pay good money for, and fewer want to match the wages the players are on.  Personally, I would have cashed in on the likes of Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans, Fofana etc. As has been said, this is a weird season with plenty of teams at risk of the drop. They could surely have used the cash injection by selling those top players to build a squad good enough to survive this season while making a profit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

They’ve won one fa cup in their history and he was the manager. He’s absolutely in love with himself but he’s definitely a decent manager. Not many managers (virtually none) have sustained success at a club. That’s just football. There’s no guarantee Howe is still making progress here even a couple of years down the line. 

Alright, that's taught me not just to think current league position 

• Haha 2