Other Games 22/23

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Aye but transfer fees are different, you can expense those over the duration of the player's contract. I think managerial pay offs (and all the coaching team) have to be taken in one big hit. Given that they're bound to already be close to breaking FFP I'm not sure they can let Potter go.

That's what they've done on the latest cash spunked out, 7 and a half year contract to spread the cost for FFP. Be such a fucking shame if he doesn't work out.

Edited by Toonpack

45 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Are we all agreed that we want Man City to pump Chelsea tonight. The more of the "Big 6" that can be removed from the Top 4 conversation, the better.

Obviously if you're daft enough to think we're in the title race, this will have you in a real fucking pickle, but for those of us still thinking logically, what do we say? 

100% rooting for a Man City win. Why wouldn't you? Top 4 is our aim, not the title.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Obviously if you're daft enough to think we're in the title race, this will have you in a real fucking pickle

If I were you @Dr Gloom I wouldn’t take this shit :cuppa:

To answer your question hopefully Man City twat them :good:

i'd prefer chelsea to lose too.

i always said we are in the title race but long shots. man city have always been the obvious favourites. i think arsenal's arse will fall out imminently, thanks in part to us putting a massive dent in their confidence, and i for one am relishing the impending implosion on arsenal tv.

top 4 is the more realistic target, so the first priority (after winning the league cup) should be securing champions league football for next season - it would still be a massive overachievement 

I think Man City will win the league and I expect Arsenal to maintain 2nd place.

3rd and 4th are up for grabs realistically between us, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United & Liverpool. Therefore we need those four to land flat on their arse at each and every opportunity - even against the 2 teams above us.

And 3 of them still need to come to SJP. 

• Like 4

My viewpoint is Man City and Arsenal are red hot favourites for 2 of the 4 CL spots. Anything that improves our chances of taking one of the other two places is a bonus. I fucking hate Chelsea as well 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If we get top 4 this year it'll be very premature, we probably weren't expected to be in the running till next season at the earliest. 

The idea it'll unlock all kinds of new revenues that will sustain our spending & allow further spending is very encouraging. 

Basically I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if we don't pull it off this year, we've got a good squad but nothing close to that of recent top 4 teams. 

I'm just enjoying these conversations & enjoying the ride :lol: 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tom said:

If we get top 4 this year it'll be very premature, we probably weren't expected to be in the running till next season at the earliest. 

The idea it'll unlock all kinds of new revenues that will sustain our spending & allow further spending is very encouraging. 

Basically I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if we don't pull it off this year, we've got a good squad but nothing close to that of recent top 4 teams. 

I'm just enjoying these conversations & enjoying the ride :lol: 

Totally agree with all of this. Anyone reasonably sound of mind will be satisfied with top 6 and delighted with top 4. If it doesn't come off then it's progression on the previous season and that needs to be seen as an achievement. 

The last home game of the 2003/04 season against Wolves is still etched painfully in my memory. We expected too much, viewed 5th as relative failure and the house of cards started which effectively lasted 17½ years. 

• Like 3

even top 6 is an overachievement when you look at where we were this time last year and the relative strength of the squads competing for those places. it's all down to howe's coaching and very little to do with being "money bags newcastle" given we've barely got started splashing the cash yet and half our team is comprised of players who looked mostly shite for bruce. 

despite all that, it would still be disappointing if we do fall away. if we keep up what we've managed for almost 12 months now, and there's no reason to think we can't do that, we should finish in the champions league spots.

a slump in form is inevitable at some point, particularly if we have some bad luck with injuries, but we've been flying since february so i'm still dreaming. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

I think most of us have always maintained we want a team that tries. And this lot, from manager down to the last player try their best in every sense. From effort on the pitch to making a connection witht the fans and understanding the history and ambitions of the club. We could hardly ask for more. Top 4 would be great fun but it will have been a fantastic season even if we finish 6th. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It's difficult to overstate just how much of a boost it would be to us financially. Not just the TV and prize money but it would allow us to justify some huge commercial deals from the Saudis. This is a couple of years old but look at the gap in commercial revenue between us and even a small club like Spurs. Qualifying for the CL could be worth over £100m a year to us over a four year period if new deals were suddenly struck in the summer.

E9dDNM9WUAM0Sbs?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's difficult to overstate just how much of a boost it would be to us financially. Not just the TV and prize money but it would allow us to justify some huge commercial deals from the Saudis. This is a couple of years old but look at the gap in commercial revenue between us and even a small club like Spurs. Qualifying for the CL could be worth over £100m a year to us over a four year period if new deals were suddenly struck in the summer.

E9dDNM9WUAM0Sbs?format=jpg&name=small

Should be enough incentive for the club to splurge a bit in January to boost those chances then.

16 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Mind, it’ll probably require a decent squad revival in the summer. Can’t be going away to Inter Milan with Murphy, Wood and Lascelles still about 

The spiritual successors to Brian Kerr and Steven Caldwell. Every bench needs its mascots.

A draw for me please.

Chelsea are out of the top 4 this season and a point tonight would put them on the same points as Brentford. City only getting a point keeps us nice and close to the top 2.

When European football starts again I would still like to see us in a similar position to now, only with the benefit of a prime Izak and a new signing or two.

Winning the title obviously would be wildest dreams territory, but I don’t want City or Arsenal opening up a big lead just yet.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

A draw for me please.

Chelsea are out of the top 4 this season and a point tonight would put them on the same points as Brentford. City only getting a point keeps us nice and close to the top 2.

When European football starts again I would still like to see us in a similar position to now, only with the benefit of a prime Izak and a new signing or two.

Winning the title obviously would be wildest dreams territory, but I don’t want City or Arsenal opening up a big lead just yet.

You're who Sunak is thinking about when he wants to keep people learning maths til they're 18.

• Haha 6