St James’ Park

Craig

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Option B is an optical illusion and would eat up half the pitch

Option C is what Spurs did, but they had to move to Wembley for 2 seasons to finish the ground off. We don't have that option

If we could squeeze 11,000 extra seats into option A it would give us the 2nd largest stadium in the league 😊

I think they’ll eventually build a new stadium. Fuck knows where. Hopefully not out of town

5 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s a nice video, but the last two options can’t happen- Leazes Terrace and Leazes Park are both listed. 

Leazes Park is only grade II listed so would likely be the problems there may not be insurmountable.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Leazes Park is only grade II listed so would likely be the problems there may not be insurmountable.

Yeh that's a problem. Working on ANY graded building is a fucking nightmare. Let alone a park that's a green space in the city.

the image of the ground in that video from 3.57 to 4.07 is how I remember it as a kid when me dad first started taking me. nowt remains of it now, just the footprint.

which is why I think all things considered I'd be at ease with them moving, although hopefully still somewhere within wobbling distance from the percy arms.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Leazes Park is a shit hole anyway. Not befitting of a major city centre park and is normally full of charvers and tramps. Saltwell Park is nicer imo

It’s grade II listed and there aren’t many parks outside London that are iirc. Leazes Terrace is grade I listed so that isn’t getting touched. So although it’s not Grade I listed, being a park and the rarity of that makes it less straightforward than if it was a grade II listed building. But I think you have a point with Leazes Park that could work in favour of the club. I think they would only have to slightly encroach on it by expanding the Leazes End. I would come at it from the approach of, if they were allowed to do that, restoring the rest of it to its former glory. And making it a green space people could use and is well maintained etc. You’re right about it being in proper poor condition 

Edited by Alex

Why not resurrect SJH’s plan to move on to castle Leazes? It’s not much further out of town and unlike Leazes park, it isn’t listed. Would just need to get it past the dog walking committee. You could build a state of the art 70k seater stadium there with all the corporate hospitality needed to compete with the big boys on match day revenue. We’d also be able to continue playing in sjp while the work was going ahead. 

The video animation, as exciting as it looks, appears to be the work of a fantasist, not an architect. 

I watched a local youtuber's take on this which made sense (Arena site development already started so not an option etc) and he reckoned the problem with Castle Leazes was some student accommodation blocks which are being demolished and replaced with an expanded scope which made it a non-starter. 

His conclusion was rebuild SJP post Euros but his suggestion of moving to a temporarily expanded Gateshead stadium during the build made it unlikely imo. 

• Like 1

I think we should build a new stadium out by the Airport and call it The Newcastle International Airport Stadium whilst renaming the airport Newcastle United Airport. Just for the fewm down the road obviously. The airport bars should also become "no away fans colours".

In seriousness, given we don't own SJP I have my doubts our benefactors would want to spunk hundreds of millions on something they don't own lock stock and barrel, I suspect a new stadium will be the result, feck knows where mind.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, NJS said:

I watched a local youtuber's take on this which made sense (Arena site development already started so not an option etc) and he reckoned the problem with Castle Leazes was some student accommodation blocks which are being demolished and replaced with an expanded scope which made it a non-starter. 

His conclusion was rebuild SJP post Euros but his suggestion of moving to a temporarily expanded Gateshead stadium during the build made it unlikely imo. 

yeah, i watched that series. he's one of the better newcastle youtubers tbf to him. you'd think a student housing redevelopment would be an easier obstacle to navigate than listed buildings or parks - partiularly as the work hasn't started yet. 

54 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I think we should build a new stadium out by the Airport and call it The Newcastle International Airport Stadium whilst renaming the airport Newcastle United Airport. Just for the fewm down the road obviously. The airport bars should also become "no away fans colours".

In seriousness, given we don't own SJP I have my doubts our benefactors would want to spunk hundreds of millions on something they don't own lock stock and barrel, I suspect a new stadium will be the result, feck knows where mind.

it's got to be the city centre. the youtuber NJS mentioned ruled out the arena site, because the brownfield land down there that is big enough is owned by three different people - the company that owns the arena site, some helicopter business and a site where work has already started for new residential buildings. so it won't be big enough were they to acquire the arena land.

i'd love them to knock sjp and rebuild a world class stadium on the existing site but i don't know where you play while that work is carried out so i suspect it's a non-starter. castle leazes seems the most obvious solution to me if you want a city centre location. 

failing that, the town moor maybe? again, our youtuber mate thinks not because of the cattle that is allowed to graze there. would take a lot of work with the freemen of newcastle and local environmental groups, apparently. 

but money talks so fuck knows if it's a nonstarter 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It’s grade II listed and there aren’t many parks outside London that are iirc. Leazes Terrace is grade I listed so that isn’t getting touched. So although it’s not Grade I listed, being a park and the rarity of that makes it less straightforward than if it was a grade II listed building. But I think you have a point with Leazes Park that could work in favour of the club. I think they would only have to slightly encroach on it by expanding the Leazes End. I would come at it from the approach of, if they were allowed to do that, restoring the rest of it to its former glory. And making it a green space people could use and is well maintained etc. You’re right about it being in proper poor condition 

Leazes park is run down but is one of the only green areas in the city centre. Also not sure what J69 thinks Saltwell Park has to do with it? Really that highlights Newcastle's deficits. 

Surely though this grading could be overcome if the current footprint of SJP was preserved as a landscaped pocket park, wrapped around to the remaing park and if necessary landscaping Hunter's moor. In fact this would arguably promote Leazes terrace as it could open up onto the park front and back. Things change, but if its undeniably for the better, why not?

The main issue with that option, besides cost, would be where to play in the 1 or more likely 2 seasons it would take to develop. Just can't see an answer to that. A mackem gorund share would be the most logical but football rivalry isn't logical. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

rownfield land down there that is big enough is owned by tree different people

Fucking hate those people.

ents GIF

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

A mackem gorund share would be the most logical but football rivalry isn't logical. 

But they've already started decorating the ground for us?

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's got to be the city centre. the youtuber NJS mentioned ruled out the arena site, because the brownfield land down there that is big enough is owned by tree different people - the arena, some helicopter business and a site where work has already started for new residential buildings. so it won't be big enough were hey to acquire the arena land.

i'd love them to knock sjp and rebuild a world class stadium on the existing site but i don't know where you play while that work is carried out so i suspect it's a non-starter. castle leazes seems the most obvious solution to me if you want a city centre location. 

failing that, the town moor maybe? again, our youtuber mate thinks not because of the cattle that is allowed to graze there. would take a lot of work with the freemen of newcastle and local environmental groups. 

but money talks so fuck knows if it's a nonstarter 

There's cattle that grazes on the Castle Leazes site as well though I am sure. pretty much every patch of enclosed field has cows on it from Nuns Moor to the Town Moor.

On a purely selfish note, I'd gladly see a stadium built on the Town Moor if it meant I never had to waste a fortune on the kids at the fucking hoppings again. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Renton said:

Leazes park is run down but is one of the only green areas in the city centre. Also not sure what J69 thinks Saltwell Park has to do with it?

Saltwell Park has nowt to do with it. I'm just saying it's better looked after and nicer to visit than Leazes Park. 

I agree with Alex. Promise to invest and upgrade the remaining 75% of Leazes Park if we can pinch 25%.

Still doesnt solve the issue of where we play for 2 seasons during the build though. Gateshead stadium is miles off meeting PL criteria. SOS is a no go. We could groundshare with Boro but it holds 18k less than SJP so not sure how you decide which fans miss out.

The other option is to build a whole new stadium at the back end of the park and then incorporate the old SJP footprint into a new Leazes Park. Would be a nicer view for Leazes Terrace!

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The other option is to build a whole new stadium at the back end of the park and then incorporate the old SJP footprint into a new Leazes Park. Would be a nicer view for Leazes Terrace!

This gets my vote like. It would actually draw the park closer to the town and up and coming areas like the Helix. Any further out than that though, such as Castle Leazes or Hunters moor/town moor, you're not really in the city centre any more, it would massively impact on residents, and there would be major transport issues. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Saltwell Park has nowt to do with it. I'm just saying it's better looked after and nicer to visit than Leazes Park. 

I agree with Alex. Promise to invest and upgrade the remaining 75% of Leazes Park if we can pinch 25%.

Still doesnt solve the issue of where we play for 2 seasons during the build though. Gateshead stadium is miles off meeting PL criteria. SOS is a no go. We could groundshare with Boro but it holds 18k less than SJP so not sure how you decide which fans miss out.

What about that stadium the Qataris used made of shipping containers that could be taken down and easily rebuilt elsewhere?

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What about that stadium the Qataris used made of shipping containers that could be taken down and easily rebuilt elsewhere?

Maybe that's what they're really building in front of the metro station? 

I all seriousness, just building that stack seems far from trivial to me. 

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Stadium 974

If you look at the historical imagery on google earth it looks like it took over 3 years to put that thing up.