Alexander Isak

Anorthernsoul

"He's a canny kid, ah lap him up really and he always sticks up for the toon on sky but he's playing with fire here, like. If ah say he's going to play then you don't poke the tiger with a stick by saying ahm talking shite. There's a couple of lanes in the toon and Downie needs to get into his fucking sharpish if he knows what's good for him."

132228477_Lee-Ryder(1)__01.jpg.ba9abaf322e5224628cd6c89414d7b82.jpg

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

any word on Elliot Anderson? i'd love to see him given a start if ASM is only fit enough for the bench 

Late call apparently

Didn't say, so far. Sounds like Wilson will be in the squad - he's trained for 10 days uninterrupted. 

Hope reckoned Anderson's injury was a minor one when he was missing v Bournemouth so hopefully he'll be in the squad. 

I feel like I'm alone in not being that bothered about the start. We're playing ok, only lost to Liverpool, creating a decent number of chances, defending all right and when the big guns come back, we'll be better.

Zen

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I feel like I'm alone in not being that bothered about the start. We're playing ok, only lost to Liverpool, creating a decent number of chances, defending all right and when the big guns come back, we'll be better.

Zen

we've put in some v good performances so far, particularly against the bigger teams who try to play on the front foot. our lack of depth was exposed when key players were injured and we were asked to break down bournemouth's a deep lying defence. we don't yet have the quality to brerak down the well drilled "low block" - at least, not when missing some of our better attacking players. 

shame decisions and results haven't gone our way. feels like we should have at least 3-5 more points than we do, but it's also clear we're a work in progress and this season will be a transitional one unless we go nuts in the january window. an 8-12th finish is looking more likely than top 6 at this stage. nothing wrong with the former btw. it won't happen overnight 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we've put in some v good performances so far, particularly against the bigger teams who try to play on the front foot. our lack of depth was exposed when key players were injured and we were asked to break down bournemouth's a deep lying defence. we don't yet have the quality to brerak down the well drilled "low block" - at least, not when missing some of our better attacking players. 

shame decisions and results haven't gone our way. feels like we should have at least 3-5 more points than we do, but it's also clear we're a work in progress and this season will be a transitional one unless we go nuts in the january window. an 8-12th finish is looking more likely than top 6 at this stage. nothing wrong with the former btw. it won't happen overnight 

I think this part is really important. ASM starts against Liverpool, Palace and Bournemouth, I think we get between 5 and 7 pts, which would have us 4th. 

I'm fully expecting us to go on a run of form where we string together a few wins and some good performances. Isak will be important when he settles a bit, but that task has been made more difficult by us missing key players in his early games. Him and ASM should cause defenders no end of bother and even if neither of them score, they'll create spaces and opportunities for others to get in on the act.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't think that Howe will have reached the point where he's questioning his loyalty to the starting XI that has largely got us to this point in the season. Isak would be closer to starting than ASM as I see it as nothing would be lost in terms of defensive effort. But I think Wilson will be shown loyalty for his early season form (and probably rightly so at this stage). Howe has said that he's mindful that Wilson has lacked training ground time in recent months owing to the WC and the illness he had when he returned from Qatar. I think this is a hint that Howe backs Wilson to get a goal and get back to his early season form. I think that Wilson deserves such a show of faith for previous performances.

I especially don't think we'll see ASM into the starting lineup away from home in such an important game. Howe talks a lot about 'not disrupting the balance of the side' when it comes to making changes and I think this largely relates to his view that it isn't worth sacrificing our defensive shape and workrate for a more aggressive formation or the introduction of the flair of ASM (at least not yet) and I tend to agree with him. The return leg at home may be another story, especially if we need a win.

The players that have been starting have earned Howe's patience and loyalty. And I would argue they've earned the same from us as supporters. We're third in the league for crying out loud with a team that is playing above themselves and playing largely without support from a full squad given the lack of depth that we have in the 25-man group. I think solidarity with the starting XI is the best course of action at the moment.

• Like 4

I’ve been impressed with ASM’s cameos. He’s working hard to make an impression and is pushing for a start alongside Isak.

I would be tempted to rotate Wilson for Isak and Willock or Longstaff for ASM. Big Joe back in LCM doesn’t necessarily weaken us defensively as he can still help Burn out from that position. 

• Like 3