We Are United

Christmas Tree

It's very corporate video, isn't it? That episode is about how important a new sponsor is, right? Really handy to have footage of Staveley in the back of a black cab 'just after the League Cup Final' saying "Man United were just better on the day, because they've spent a fortune, which is why a new sponsor is vital". Because that's 100% candid camera stuff. Fuck off man :lol: 

There's a lot of stuff that makes my pinko commie heart throw up, but it is what it is, I guess. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Isegrim said:

No because I would need to subscribe to Amazon Prime UK. My German account isn’t working. I use a VPN and am actually in the heartland of Brexidickheads (Buckinghamshire) at the moment.

Plenty on google

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's very corporate video, isn't it? That episode is about how important a new sponsor is, right? Really handy to have footage of Staveley in the back of a black cab 'just after the League Cup Final' saying "Man United were just better on the day, because they've spent a fortune, which is why a new sponsor is vital". Because that's 100% candid camera stuff. Fuck off man :lol: 

There's a lot of stuff that makes my pinko commie heart throw up, but it is what it is, I guess. 

Your pinko commie heart has killed over 100m, keep it out of wor docrimentry, reet?

Anyway I thought episode 2 was shit as well. Just boring.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Corporate brochure is exactly what spring to mind after episode 1. But I’ll still watch the rest and think it gives a bit of insight. Also agree with HMHM how it was good not to have the usual rent a gob (shites) ‘representing’ the fanbase 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

Your pinko commie heart has killed over 100m, keep it out of wor docrimentry, reet?

Anyway I thought episode 2 was shit as well. Just boring.

im not sure what you’re expecting from it. There will be no real controversy or anything revealing  as the club will have the last say on the final edit. 

• Like 1

I'm enjoying it well enough but one thing I think it underlines more than anything is how incredibly competent we are at the board level. Yes it's all likely staged, yes it's very corporate, agree with all of that - but the depth of talent available to us at the executive level relative to what we'd previously been stuck with is incredible. At some point in the first episode Stavely is on a video call with some fella who was the Head of European Investments for PIF - and he was talking about what the club needed to do with clearly some awareness of the situation. I honestly feel like we're going to be really dangerous in the long run not just because we can throw money at the team, but because we're going to have the most skilled and competent people running it.

• Like 6

Aye. The highlight of the Mourinho/spurs documentary was Danny Rose asking for a transfer.

I didn’t get through all of Man City’s as it was dull because they win all of the time.

Unless it’s an epic failure by our favourite comedy neighbours then it will be very light on scandal.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

For it to be particularly entertaining, there'd need to be some kind of turmoil or comedy shitness. Just ask the mackems.

I watched the first 3 episodes of the Fury documentary last night. I can't believe they signed off on it. He comes across like a complete bell end

9 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

that’s his persona to be fair. People had a little bit sympathy for him after the comeback but he has never changed really.

Have you watched it? I don't mean he's full

of himself. You can forgive that. The way he treats his wife is awful though. She deserves a medal 

23 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Have you watched it? I don't mean he's full

of himself. You can forgive that. The way he treats his wife is awful though. She deserves a medal 

I haven’t. I’m tempted but I don’t particularly like the guy so I’ll probably just watch Forest game tonight. 

Edited by Holden McGroin

This is all together too polished from the boardroom/PR side with hardly anything of note on the coaching/playing side. I can scarcely believe that they’re actually trying to convince people that these are the real sponsorship meetings that we’re privy to. Mandy’s enthusiasm seems very genuine but everything else can get in the bin. Howe being so protective of his methods and, in general, being very walled up has made this a pretty dull PR exercise with generic editing and a shoehorned narrative

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

This is all together too polished from the boardroom/PR side with hardly anything of note on the coaching/playing side. I can scarcely believe that they’re actually trying to convince people that these are the real sponsorship meetings that we’re privy to. Mandy’s enthusiasm seems very genuine but everything else can get in the bin. Howe being so protective of his methods and, in general, being very walled up has made this a pretty dull PR exercise with generic editing and a shoehorned narrative

It's shite but I'm glad there's nowt going out there for others to latch on to and beat us with.

Apart from the obvious, of course.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

They did say from the beginning that this was more a financial documentary viewpoint rather than the football side.

I would have preferred the football side but is it sad that I'm enjoying the financial side too :lol:

It's nice to get an insight in some small way.

• Like 1

There's definitely too much polish and not enough substance. It could have done with more of a walk down memory lane to give us a stronger identity prior to the takeover. The last two episodes should be more enjoyable with the run home, it's definitely better seeing the games rather than the surface level 'for the cameras' behind the scenes corporate stuff. That content pretends to give some sort of interesting insight but mostly ends up being a case of when buying less is better, when selling more is better. That really only works if you're a bunch of desperate chancers working on a shoestring budget ala Sunderland 'til I die.

There'd be loads of actual interesting content behind the scenes, particularly around the likes of the owner related sponsorship rules that were brought in as a direct response to our new owners, just none of which could be said in front of a camera. Nor could they really accurately cover off how some of the clubs voting have chequered pasts (Chelsea) with Man City's abstinence telling.

If they spent a moment going through the spending after Chelsea were bought by Abramovic or City by Mansour it would have given interesting context to the financial fail play impacts that are the most interesting part of our transformation and why what Howe and co have achieved thus far is so impressive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

For it to be particularly entertaining, there'd need to be some kind of turmoil or comedy shitness. Just ask the mackems.

I’m sure we’ll get that in episode 3 when they show the highlights against Tottenham. 

11 hours ago, OTF said:

There's definitely too much polish and not enough substance. It could have done with more of a walk down memory lane to give us a stronger identity prior to the takeover. The last two episodes should be more enjoyable with the run home, it's definitely better seeing the games rather than the surface level 'for the cameras' behind the scenes corporate stuff. That content pretends to give some sort of interesting insight but mostly ends up being a case of when buying less is better, when selling more is better. That really only works if you're a bunch of desperate chancers working on a shoestring budget ala Sunderland 'til I die.

There'd be loads of actual interesting content behind the scenes, particularly around the likes of the owner related sponsorship rules that were brought in as a direct response to our new owners, just none of which could be said in front of a camera. Nor could they really accurately cover off how some of the clubs voting have chequered pasts (Chelsea) with Man City's abstinence telling.

If they spent a moment going through the spending after Chelsea were bought by Abramovic or City by Mansour it would have given interesting context to the financial fail play impacts that are the most interesting part of our transformation and why what Howe and co have achieved thus far is so impressive.

Agree with this. I was trying to cast my mind back to how I felt when Chelsea and Man City were taken over, which both pissed me off. But it wasn't the nature of their owners, it was the fact that they had unlimited funds to distort the game. Now they've pulled the drawbridge up and FFP has put paid to this. There are issues with this and its clearly intended to preserve the status quo, making it hard for NUFC to break through. I think this documentary is chronicling the process quite well and highlights how good the board is.but for me it's a bit dry and boring.

Footage from STID series 3, showing Man with Beanie hat watching WaU:

[mackem] A see rhey hold their board room maytings in Annick castle marra. Fick jawdee bastards divent knar those Percys was crusaders marra! Ha ha FTM. How Julie, ya got me cheese slice eady for the Rotherham gayme? [\mackem]

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Agree with this. I was trying to cast my mind back to how I felt when Chelsea and Man City were taken over, which both pissed me off. But it wasn't the nature of their owners, it was the fact that they had unlimited funds to distort the game.

And we're somehow suffering for their sins. The common belief, perpetuated by virtue signalling media, is that we've bought our success. Whilst our purchases have been key to our continual improvement, not one of them in isolation was outside the price range of a midtable premier league team, let alone one easily selling out 50k+ seats, and critically none of them are players at the top end of premier league wages. Having qualified for the champions league we still haven't moved away from that highly disciplined approach, making astitute purchases of emerging stars who aren't at the peak of their abilities and earnings. We're building a team, not buying one.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, OTF said:

And we're somehow suffering for their sins. The common belief, perpetuated by virtue signalling media, is that we've bought our success. Whilst our purchases have been key to our continual improvement, not one of them in isolation was outside the price range of a midtable premier league team, let alone one easily selling out 50k+ seats, and critically none of them are players at the top end of premier league wages. Having qualified for the champions league we still haven't moved away from that highly disciplined approach, making astitute purchases of emerging stars who aren't at the peak of their abilities and earnings. We're building a team, not buying one.

Agreed, and I think this is the motive for the series from NUFC pov, and it does it quite well - counteracting MSM misperceptions and peopaganda. Doesn't makes scintillating telly like STID did though.

We are all desperate to win a cup ASAP, but if we want any chance of competing with City in the long run, the we need to be aiming for another top 4 finish this season. Champions league brings in around £45mil iirc, which saves you having to sell players for peanuts (ASM) to bring more transfers in next Summer.

Back to back CL campaigns also gives you more leeway to ask for big money from Adidas/Nike/Puma and SELA to further boost the balance sheet. That puts the club in a position to start offering big money to the next Haaland and De Bruyne's of the world like City, Real, Barcelona etc.

We've hit lucky with a good management and astute signings so far, but that only takes you so far. 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

I

15 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We are all desperate to win a cup ASAP, but if we want any chance of competing with City in the long run, the we need to be aiming for another top 4 finish this season. Champions league brings in around £45mil iirc, which saves you having to sell players for peanuts (ASM) to bring more transfers in next Summer.

Back to back CL campaigns also gives you more leeway to ask for big money from Adidas/Nike/Puma and SELA to further boost the balance sheet. That puts the club in a position to start offering big money to the next Haaland and De Bruyne's of the world like City, Real, Barcelona etc.

We've hit lucky with a good management and astute signings so far, but that only takes you so far. 

Financially this is true but don't underestimate the effect failure to win trophies has had on the collective psyche of NUFC. Until we win something we're losers. Coming 4th isn't winning anything. I'd take a cup win over the CL every day of the week. 

• Like 2