Eddie and Mad Dog's still shite but slightly better, it was only Brentford FFS, Geordie Boys v Sandro Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Sandro Use To Room On The Second Floor, Meelan

sammynb

Agree with Strawb. We can do these at home. 

Not the easiest performance to watch. I was surprised how early we seemed to tire compared to last season. Not used to playing every three days I guess. Maybe need add a new dope doctor to the back room staff. Pogba’s doctor might have an opening. 

I don’t think Milan bossed the game by any means. They just did more with the ball when they had it. Our defence looked a little panicked at times and we lacked creativity when we got near the box. 

Great point on balance and a clean sheet 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

One thing that's got me scratching my head. Isak. How do we get him firing again? 

He was coming a bit deeper looking the ball but, like all strikers, it’s incredibly difficult to score if you don’t have the service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

He was coming a bit deeper looking the ball but, like all strikers, it’s incredibly difficult to score if you don’t have the service.

He wasn't his usual in possession either though. 

He's class, players dip in and out of form. It just happens that they've all dipped at the same time..

• Like 1

Good result. People should get a grip. We were still playing a major European side not some unwashed 5-a-side from down the road.

I did only really watch the second half and thought our players were struggling with the size of the pitch and positional awareness. Milan were tactically astute and more comfortable with the ball. Some of our players are struggling with confidence, fitness and form. Winning a point away is even better and if we can raise the intensity in games at home then we will see better performances and results.

• Like 2

I mean, Howe needs to grow into managing at this level too, I'm sure he'd be the first to say the same. But he works so hard, he's so committed that I'm personally prepared for it to take a bit of trial and error, some rough patches here and there, to be able to allow him to get to the point where he's got it all nailed down.

We don't need to be the team that smashes elite clubs around in the CL yet - in fact I almost don't want us to be because it's going to be way more satisfying later having had to grind through the levels and really earn it.

• Like 5

Great point but i echo the sentiments that we look a different team to last year. I think it’s the midfield lacking intensity and player positioning. We are getting cut up to easily (even villa could have had 3) and not creating anything. 

It could have easily been 4 or 5 nil tonight. Hopefully eddie has the answers. And hopefully Big and Little Joe are back soon.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

We don't need to be the team that smashes elite clubs around in the CL yet - in fact I almost don't want us to be because it's going to be way more satisfying later having had to grind through the levels and really earn it.

The teams we face in the group aren’t any better than we’d face in the PL. The problem is that all three would be top 6 level in our league. 

What was worrying tonight for me was the lack of energy, Dan Burn being exposed and a complete absence of attacking fluidity.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

The teams we face in the group aren’t any better than we’d face in the PL. The problem is that all three would be top 6 level in our league. 

What was worrying tonight for me was the lack of energy, Dan Burn being exposed and a complete absence of attacking fluidity.

A couple of players look off the pace at the moment. Burn is getting overrun a lot these days, either because he is getting targeted or lost a yard or both.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Fair but we'd take 0-0 away against a top 6 side too IMO. Also you need to factor in the sense of occasion somewhat. City were arguably the best team in Europe for several years before they won the CL because the the mental barrier they had to overcome to establish themselves.

But yes, lack of energy is fair and a bit surprising. I get Tripps being tired by the end cos he was playing just the other day. Isak though is a bit of a confusing one. The press has fallen away somewhere in the mould, idk if we're trying to take up a new style or what but there is something to look at there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

A couple of players look off the pace at the moment. Burn is getting overrun a lot these days, either because he is getting targeted or lost a yard or both.

I thought burn was excellent defensively. The whole back 4 were really. They are just getting over run from midfield. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

I thought that was a fantastic point and the way we defended, albeit aided by Pope in the first half, was bordering on heroic. I don’t think you can underestimate how vital that kind of result, and more importantly, the clean sheet will be to a team that has had some poor results and hasn’t been able to keep two clean sheets in a row for months. That’ll be huge to everyone. I thought we grew into the game as a whole and that bodes well for the rest of the groups. We stood up to our first test, in the group of death no less, and came out with a result. You can argue the specifics of the attacking performance but I honestly think it’s secondary to the wider picture here. Fucking excellent result. The season starts now 

• Like 7

I’d imagine off the back of a point at the San Siro, Mad Dog has a table booked at the local pizzeria and some filthy hookers for later with Eddie. 

Granted, we didn’t make the most of the very few chances we had. 

We got very lucky in the first half with AC’s profligacy in attack. 

But… they ran out of ideas and steam. 

If that game had gone on for 10 more minutes, there was only one side looking likely to win it. 

It was neither a satisfying nor particularly enjoyable but, we didn’t embarrass ourselves and we certainly have positives we can build on for the return leg. 

Not many teams will go there in their opening CL game and get a point. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I thought burn was excellent defensively. The whole back 4 were really. They are just getting over run from midfield. 

I only watched half the game but thought that Burn was very good at clearing balls going into the box or long balls to their right wing but look quite exposed and slow when players were running at and easily past him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Or he’s not getting protection for the left side of midfield. Gordon will give 100% effort but I’m not sure he’s got the footballing intelligence for the top level.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

One thing that's got me scratching my head. Isak. How do we get him firing again? 

He has to play on the front foot, trying to get in behind. He's no good dropping deep for the ball all game, it not only leaves us short up front it's very easy to defend against for their centre halves. He's dangerous putting their defenders on the back foot.

• sammynb changed the title to Eddie and Mad Dog's still shite but slightly better, it was only Brentford FFS, Geordie Boys v Sandro Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Sandro Use To Room On The Second Floor, Meelan