Eddie and Mad Dog's still shite but slightly better, it was only Brentford FFS, Geordie Boys v Sandro Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Sandro Use To Room On The Second Floor, Meelan

sammynb

10 hours ago, Chaser said:

Look at Ten Hag. Comes in, spends a small fortune and they still don't look any better than what they were under OGS. No one is calling for his head because they want the board out. 

Eddie came in when we were rock bottom and turned this club from Championship contenders to Champions league in less than 18 months. Thats an absolutely unfuckingreal turnaround. 

He's become the victim of his own success now as a result as it's now the 2nd sticky patch in all of that time. I remember only too well how there was too much criticism of Bobby before we pedalled him and after that the whole gig went to ratshit. Eddie has shown that he knows how to play superb high intensity football. He just needs to work out why we aren't doing it right at this moment. 

Has anyone criticised Howe?

11 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

I think we looked like bairns staring ate2 Cliff Richard with his cock out. Our form leading up to this reminded me of our form leading up to the League Cup Final. We didn't deliver then either.

I'm not a knee jerker but I do think Howe can't take it past the threshold he wants to. He's too nice and it's a shame cos I like him.

@ewerk aye 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ewerk said:

Gordon will give 100% effort but I’m not sure he’s got the footballing intelligence for the top level.

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think ASM would have been well up for that tonight. I understand why we flogged him but he would have been a good option off the bench tonight with 20-30 to go.

Friends Hug GIF by MOODMAN

LTA has joined the conversation :smile:

• Haha 4

Just by way of context...

17 April, 2022, we beat Leicester 2-1 at SJP which took us to 37 points, which would turn out to be enough to avoid relegation that season.

19 September, 2023, we leave the San Siro with a point in our first Champions League match for 20+ years.

Less than 18 months. That is fucking ludicrous. It's a Ted Lasso plotline.

Aye, our press doesn't seem anywhere near as intense as it did last season, and we seem to have lost something going forward, but that's maybe 100 steps forward, 7 steps back in terms of our progress.

It's not gonna be linear, we were that good last season, so we should be this good this season.

We need to chill out and actually enjoy what's going on a bit. It's absolute madness where we've got to so quickly.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It was a great result but we didn’t play our best. We seem to have lost our intensity in the press. This is magnifying our turn over rate. Last season when we gave the ball away our press worked so well we won it back very quickly. This season we have lost that completely.

It’s the lack of balance in the midfield. Bruno worked in the 6 role last season with longstaff, Willock and Joelinton helping him out. But it hasn’t clicked so far. 

hindsight is a wonderful thing but I can’t help but wonder if we should have signed Diaby and Alvarez instead of Livramento and Barnes. They cost about the same and would have better addressed the issues we have in the squad now.

I love Jacob Murphy and was buzzing for him last night. But should he be starting that game? We had £80m worth of full backs on the bench who can’t get a look in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

17 April, 2022, we beat Leicester 2-1 at SJP which took us to 37 points, which would turn out to be enough to avoid relegation that season.

19 September, 2023, we leave the San Siro with a point in our first Champions League match for 20+ years.

Aye, our press doesn't seem anywhere near as intense as it did last season, and we seem to have lost something going forward, but that's maybe 100 steps forward, 7 steps back in terms of our progress.

It's not gonna be linear, we were that good last season, so we should be this good this season.

We need to chill out and actually enjoy what's going on a bit. It's absolute madness where we've got to so quickly.

Spot on. anyone calling for Howe’s head after how far he’s taken us in less than 18 months need to give their head a wobble. 

I thought we played reasonably well in patches last night. We just missed the cutting edge in the final third and Milan had loads of chances but they mostly came in a 5-10 minute spell in the first half and the final ten minutes when we were hanging on a bit.

I was welling up watching them line up as they played the champions league music last night. It’s surreal that we’re even in the position to be critical about an away performance at the San Siro. 

Having said all that, we definitely haven’t gelled yet this season. The press that worked so well last season has spluttered. But it’s also worth remembering we’re only 6 games into the new season and we’ve played three of the toughest teams in Europe!

It was always going to be a big test for Howe. This is all new for him. He’s a tracksuit manager and does all his work on the training pitch. Last season we had five days to prepare between games and he could play the same side week in week out. This season he gets one or two days with them between games  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s the lack of balance in the midfield. Bruno worked in the 6 role last season with longstaff, Willock and Joelinton helping him out. But it hasn’t clicked so far. 

hindsight is a wonderful thing but I can’t help but wonder if we should have signed Diaby and Alvarez instead of Livramento and Barnes. They cost about the same and would have better addressed the issues we have in the squad now.

I love Jacob Murphy and was buzzing for him last night. But should he be starting that game? We had £80m worth of full backs on the bench who can’t get a look in. 

They’ll get chances so I’m not worried about the fullbacks, as far as signings who’s to say they would come. Maybe we tried and they said no thanks. I agree I’m hopeful for the Joes to come back.

Seeing a lot of criticism of Gordon, or Isak, and Burn, but the issues are 100% the central midfield. Sort that out and everything else will fit into place nicely. Bruno's form is improving and yesterday he was closer to what we expect from him, calm under pressure, linking up with Longstaff, breaking their press with a pass or a move. Much better. However, him, Tonali and Longstaff just don't have the familiarity to play the way we di last season with Joe/Joe, Burno and Longstaff. Tonali is a different kind of player and that's taking a while to dovetail with the other profiles. I'm sure had Longstaff not been injured Tonali would have been eased into the side as is Howe's usual approach. 

The other issue is that teams are avoiding our high press by clipping the ball over it to the flanks. This is where we need a more front foot left back and a more cohesive central midfield. Last season, so many of our goals came from our wide men or striker putting pressure on their fullbacks and centre backs and forcing errors high up the field. So our creative play was beginning 25-30yds from their goal. We need a way to either lure them into playing to their fullbacks, or develop a creative pathway from deeper. Without a true blue number 6 I think we have to play Longstaff as his endeavour and understanding with Bruno makes Bruno + A.N. Other much much better. 

Our defence was solid last night, but our midfield and attack were misfiring. This is partly due to confidence, partly familiarity and partly due to injury disruptions. We'll be fine.

Anyone even suggesting that we should be considering peddling Howe is a fickle prick. We've pasted Villa, competed with Man City, were unlucky against Liverpool, got pasted by Brighton, put in a professional performance against Brentford and, most importantly, gone drew with Milan. In the club's first CL game in 20yrs. 5 players making their CL debut. Several players making their European debut. Without some key players available. Away from home. At a famous old club. To last season's semi finalists.

Yes they had 25 Shots but, of those, only 8 were on target, with an xG of 2.2 and a Post Shot xG of 1.2. In other words, they took a load of hit and hope shots, from not particularly optimal positions, and Pope didn't have to make any world class saves to keep us in it. Our best player was Trippier or Longstaff, their best player was Timori. By a mile. Leao was very ASM-like. Calabria didn't know what to do with Gordon and was hooked at half time because he 100% would have got another yellow if he wasn't. 

Once we get the midfield more confident, assured, and when we get players back from injury or out of poor form, we'll be a much better prospect. We'll do 'em in the return leg. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm wondering whether this intense press is always feasible going forward, with the number of games we have. It worked miracles last year, but I wonder if for the next step we need to make the next transmission to become a side that dominates and holds posession, and beats teams through shear skill and creativity rather than work rate. So we've gone from an ineffectual counter-attacking side, to a side that operates an intense press and punishes opposition into making mistakes, but now we need to evolve further in the model of the great teams of the recent past and present. A great manager can probably pick and mix these style depending on his opponents. I am 100% behind Howe to be this man. The issue is, to become a truly great team, you need world class players. FFP is going to make this very difficult. 

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Seeing a lot of criticism of Gordon, or Isak, and Burn, but the issues are 100% the central midfield. Sort that out and everything else will fit into place nicely. Bruno's form is improving and yesterday he was closer to what we expect from him, calm under pressure, linking up with Longstaff, breaking their press with a pass or a move. Much better. However, him, Tonali and Longstaff just don't have the familiarity to play the way we di last season with Joe/Joe, Burno and Longstaff. Tonali is a different kind of player and that's taking a while to dovetail with the other profiles. I'm sure had Longstaff not been injured Tonali would have been eased into the side as is Howe's usual approach. 

The other issue is that teams are avoiding our high press by clipping the ball over it to the flanks. This is where we need a more front foot left back and a more cohesive central midfield. Last season, so many of our goals came from our wide men or striker putting pressure on their fullbacks and centre backs and forcing errors high up the field. So our creative play was beginning 25-30yds from their goal. We need a way to either lure them into playing to their fullbacks, or develop a creative pathway from deeper. Without a true blue number 6 I think we have to play Longstaff as his endeavour and understanding with Bruno makes Bruno + A.N. Other much much better. 

Our defence was solid last night, but our midfield and attack were misfiring. This is partly due to confidence, partly familiarity and partly due to injury disruptions. We'll be fine.

Anyone even suggesting that we should be considering peddling Howe is a fickle prick. We've pasted Villa, competed with Man City, were unlucky against Liverpool, got pasted by Brighton, put in a professional performance against Brentford and, most importantly, gone drew with Milan. In the club's first CL game in 20yrs. 5 players making their CL debut. Several players making their European debut. Without some key players available. Away from home. At a famous old club. To last season's semi finalists.

Yes they had 25 Shots but, of those, only 8 were on target, with an xG of 2.2 and a Post Shot xG of 1.2. In other words, they took a load of hit and hope shots, from not particularly optimal positions, and Pope didn't have to make any world class saves to keep us in it. Our best player was Trippier or Longstaff, their best player was Timori. By a mile. Leao was very ASM-like. Calabria didn't know what to do with Gordon and was hooked at half time because he 100% would have got another yellow if he wasn't. 

Once we get the midfield more confident, assured, and when we get players back from injury or out of poor form, we'll be a much better prospect. We'll do 'em in the return leg. 

i think sheffield uinited are getting a pasting at the weekend and that result kickstarts our season 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think sheffield uinited are getting a pasting at the weekend and that result kickstarts our season 

I think we put in a 'thoroughly professional' performance against Sheffield, compete with Man City in the League Cup, then turn our baleful gaze to Burnley and raze the club to it's very foundations. Epic poems will be written about the torment and suffering those muggy little Lancashire goblins endure.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You can say what you like about Mussolini but at least...

I walked from the centre of Milan to the San Siro is 36 degree heat, whilst stopping to take photos of architecture etc and it took me 1h 15.  Slow cunts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think Gemmill’s point re progression not being linear is correct. It would be true anyway but it’s doubly so given the trajectory of the last 18 months. This is further exacerbated by (for whatever reasons) not being able to strengthen in a couple of key areas (LB / CM). On top of that there are injuries to key performers from last season, the two Joes. This has disrupted things, cut down the options the manager has and has probably meant integrating Tonali more quickly than he’d have liked. 
As an aside ASM went because Howe doesn’t rate him and didn’t trust him. The notion that he’d have gotten a 30 minute cameo in that situation last night is fanciful. 

• Like 6
  • Jaysus... 1

31 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You can say what you like about Mussolini but at least...

There was our entire 4k and about 1k Rossinieri trying to get on to the metro, chaos, no barriers for queuing or anyone taking charge, only fully kitted up Carabinieri looking for a ruck. Of course, some smart cunt chucked a bottle at one of them :lol:   instead of battering fuck out of us they shut the station and told us all to fuck off , of which 99% did. We hung around and they re opened it about 20 mins later :D 

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Gemmill’s point re progression not being linear is correct. It would be true anyway but it’s doubly so given the trajectory of the last 18 months. This is further exacerbated by (for whatever reasons) not being able to strengthen in a couple of key areas (LB / CM). On top of that there are injuries to key performers from last season, the two Joes. This has disrupted things, cut down the options the manager has and has probably meant integrating Tonali more quickly than he’d have liked. 
As an aside ASM went because Howe doesn’t rate him and didn’t trust him. The notion that he’d have gotten a 30 minute cameo in that situation last night is fanciful. 

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

He was sold to give us more wriggle room to pick up players due to ffp and us not having anyone else that could be sold for good coin. 

ASM putting this club on his back one last time

black-jesus-scafa2.jpg?v=1626923804

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

Spot On Mel B GIF by America's Got Talent

• Haha 2