Scabs vs Eddie’s Weetabix Haired Scargill Supporters.

Monkeys Fist

7 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I think is seeking a simple answer to a complex problem. Neither Burn nor Trippier are actually playing as traditional full backs, and in reality we are actually playing 3 4 3. I'd rather have Burn than Liv in that formation

that’s the point though innit. When Tino was playing left back we looked like we had a balanced back four with a threat down both flanks. Whether Howe actually wants to play like that is another matter. His reluctance to use Tino or Hall ahead of Burn suggests otherwise 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I think the point about not changing things is further driven home by our not really looking troubled after Howe made the change to a back 3. 

We also didn't press with such a high line at that point which compressed their space a lot, suddenly turning Burn from a liability to an asset.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You’re unwilling to accept Howe’s selections. I am. That’s it 🤷🏻‍♂️

erm, I accept that he’s the manager and he makes the selections. I absolutely love Howe but he’s not above criticism. 

I’m questioning his continued loyalty to a player clearly out of form (and arguably out of position) because this is a Newcastle supporters  message board. 

I mean sure, he’s a pro manager and I’m bullshit artist, but what else are we going to talk about? 

• Haha 5

I normally stick up for the lads that get targeted every week (Almiron, burn, Ciggy) as they all give 100% and that’s all we can ask as a supporter. There is no reason to ever get on their backs. We all want a team that tries, hey.

Having said that Howe has an issue here. The midfield are too weak without Joe/Tonali so that’s leaving Burn to be targeted. I’ll leave it to Eddie to decide the action. If he feels swapping Burn out would help than I’m fine with that. If he wants to spend extra time on the training ground working on the midfield pressing properly. Also fine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Mind, Gibbs-White had yet another good game, I thought. He was playing lethal balls to set them away. Antony Gordon would love him in the midfield…

That ball he played for their first goal, if that was KDB they would be wanking all over it.  It was a right ball.

• Like 1

I've virtually written off this season because of the difficulties we've had to put up with so in the cold light of day I'm not going to really call anyone, obviously a bit different if I'm in the house having a few beers watching it but other than that it is what it is. I'm sure I saw someone say only five points worse off than at this stage last year which seems mental and a credit to the effort the uninjured are putting in. The trajectory should be up, learn some lessons, make notes of the cunts trying to stop us and hopefully rub their noses in it in the future. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've virtually written off this season because of the difficulties we've had to put up with so in the cold light of day I'm not going to really call anyone, obviously a bit different if I'm in the house having a few beers watching it but other than that it is what it is. I'm sure I saw someone say only five points worse off than at this stage last year which seems mental and a credit to the effort the uninjured are putting in. The trajectory should be up, learn some lessons, make notes of the cunts trying to stop us and hopefully rub their noses in it in the future. 

Yeah. I’m 50/50 whether a Europa/Conference spot would be good. We should be able to put out B side and see off the poor teams.  It would be good for the likes of Anderson/Miley to continue their development in that competition. 

Howe wanted to play the same XI for both CL and PL which is completely understandable but we won’t necessarily need to do that with a lesser competition. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Yeah. I’m 50/50 whether a Europa/Conference spot would be good. We should be able to put out B side and see off the poor teams.  It would be good for the likes of Anderson/Miley to continue their development in that competition. 

Howe wanted to play the same XI for both CL and PL which is completely understandable but we won’t necessarily need to do that with a lesser competition. 

I thought the same but it sounds from some quotes I read with Bruno somewhere on Twitter that he  wants at least Europa league. If that’s what it  going to take for him to hang around I’m fully up for finishing 6th, or even better - winning the FA cup

We should absolutely be hoping for Europe next season and planning a transfer window to significantly bolster the squad for it. 

Failing to make Europe will affect what we can sign in the summer. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Mind, Gibbs-White had yet another good game, I thought. He was playing lethal balls to set them away. Antony Gordon would love him in the midfield…

Fully agree, I've been impressed with him this season and he had a good game last night.

6 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I normally stick up for the lads that get targeted every week (Almiron, burn, Ciggy) as they all give 100% and that’s all we can ask as a supporter. There is no reason to ever get on their backs. We all want a team that tries, hey.

At this stage of our 'evolution' I think there should be a balance, in terms of recognizing that these players have been important in turning around our fortunes and laying a solid foundation to now push on; but they're also the most limited ones in the starting eleven now and need to be improved on if NUFC want to get to the top. Add Wilson to that list too. No reason they can't continue to be part of the story from the bench, the ones that stay.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

At this stage of our 'evolution' I think there should be a balance, in terms of recognizing that these players have been important in turning around our fortunes and laying a solid foundation to now push on; but they're also the most limited ones in the starting eleven now and need to be improved on if NUFC want to get to the top. Add Wilson to that list too. No reason they can't continue to be part of the story from the bench, the ones that stay.  

I think every nufc supporter in the world can see these 3 are due upgrades. That’s not my point. They work their balls off for the team and  deserve a bit more imo. It’s upto Eddie to decide who play and who should be taken out of the firing line. If he had unlimited funds i’m sure they’d all be upgraded already. 

• Like 4

Getting angry at Gloomy's perceived inability to tolerate that Howe has a difference of opinion has to be some sort of irony world record tbh.

I also had no idea that Gloomy had been down the training ground demanding answers from Wor Eddie. Bit over the top. But I respect it. After expressing your opinion on the Toontastic Message Board there's only one place to go from there to raise the stakes and that's directly to Howe to demand answers.

It's becoming obvious that Howe is just one more in a long line of question avoiders in the history of Toontastic. His silence has NOT gone unnoticed!

• Haha 7

The comedowns/hangovers are crossing timezones here like, snarky fuckers. 

Everyone can watch the same game of football and come up with different opinions, it’s why we all still watch. 

You are all wrong btw, I’m right. 

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, strawb said:

The comedowns/hangovers are crossing timezones here like, snarky fuckers. 

Everyone can watch the same game of football and come up with different opinions, it’s why we all still watch. 

You are all wrong btw, I’m right. 

I disagree 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

If we play Tino we're less susceptible to pacey wingers in a straight race, but are more susceptible to powerful wide men and we're more likely to be left shorthanded whenever we're hit on the counter because Tino will be further up the field. 

If we play Burn we're able to switch to a fairly solid back 3, but are more susceptible to pacey wingers.

Stick Joelinton in the midfield and both players' weaknesses are mitigated somewhat. 

Maybe the answer isn't dropping Burn, but changing the way the midfield operate? Or pulling Gordon further back to provide defensive cover? Changing formation to a 5-3-2, with Burn and Tino on the left hand side, the only 3 midfielders we've got in front of them and Isak/Wilson and Gordon up front?

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think a straight swap of left backs is the panacea people appear to think it is. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

We should absolutely be hoping for Europe next season and planning a transfer window to significantly bolster the squad for it. 

Failing to make Europe will affect what we can sign in the summer. 

Huh?

:huh: