Eddie’s Broon Ale necking Black Garter Slags vs PaddockLad’s mates’ southern softy shandy-drinking la las.

Monkeys Fist

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Agreed, it was a terrible one for dubravka to concede.

Theres practically no danger at the time the shot is taken, hes being shown outside by burn, hes quite far out at a pretty narrow angle to take on a shot and it just...goes in. It wasnt exactly a rocket of a shot or curling or anything really. 

He got no "push" off the ground for the dive and was caught flat footed. He should have been on his toes and ready for the shot, but effectively just lay down to his right trying to save it (rather than diving) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toonotl said:

I can't really fathom that people are seriously questioning Howe's position. He has so much credit in the bank. And, like Holden mentioned, seventh this season (all things considered) would actually be a good result and improve his station in my opinion. And we're right in the race for seventh. That's fuckin miraculous considering where we were not too long ago with a lot of the same players (who weren't injured and playing on fumes for months on end).

Not calling you out Wyki. You're a reasonable voice on here. Just speaking to the question posed. It boils my piss a bit that gobshites on twitter are so hyperbolic. Prolly why I avoid the place. It'd drive me mental.

I would agree.  It's the bell ends on Twatter that seem to think this.

To get 7th (if we do) with the injuries we've had is superb.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I am fucking pig sick of Dubravka, mind. He’s done. Karius cannot be worse, I don’t believe it 

Dubravka has actually made quite a lot of good saves in the last month including two in this game, but when he does it's more of a shock than anything. Really don't have any confidence in him, I think it's his positioning that is most suspect as sometimes he's beaten like he's not there at all. Slipping over in this one was more unfortunate than anything, it was a questionable backpass combined with a slippery pitch.

Karius has looked ok in the limited times he has played, but I feel like Howe won't want to risk destroying Dubravka's confidence by dropping him when Karius is far from a sure thing. He's got to be taking advice and observing in training as well, but not every player who trains well plays well in games and the same can be true in reverse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OTF said:

Dubravka has actually made quite a lot of good saves in the last month including two in this game, but when he does it's more of a shock than anything. Really don't have any confidence in him, I think it's his positioning that is most suspect as sometimes he's beaten like he's not there at all. Slipping over in this one was more unfortunate than anything, it was a questionable backpass combined with a slippery pitch.

Karius has looked ok in the limited times he has played, but I feel like Howe won't want to risk destroying Dubravka's confidence by dropping him when Karius is far from a sure thing. He's got to be taking advice and observing in training as well, but not every player who trains well plays well in games and the same can be true in reverse.

With Dubravka, it’s clear that his back four have no trust or confidence in him whatsoever. Coupled with his complete lack of communication, it’s a disaster 

The pass for the first goal wasn't great but it's the sort modern keepers regularly deal with, yesterday was pretty much all on Dubravka. It wasn't a great performance overall, but he made 2 errors leading to 2 goals. 

If there is any room leftover after getting a forward, right winger and left back in the summer, a more able deputy for Pope might be a decent idea. 

6 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

This is not a defender showing an attacker “outside” this is a defender asking an attacker to have a go. BDB is miles away from Semenyo who has the whole goal to shoot atIMG_3514.thumb.png.5c53f2440989548d0103179444a76560.png

Yeah. That doesn’t happen on Trippiers side, although I still think Dubs should save it.

Not only is he deliberately being isolated every game now but his confidence is also pretty low. He’ll he shitting it every break away now.

• Like 1

True Faith did a live event at the weekend with journos on the panel. Luke Edwards was saying that when Howe was asked how Burn is coping with "the noise" around his recent performances, Howe firstly knew nothing about it and secondly couldn't understand why people were criticising Burn.

So aye. Might just be Howe's polite way of saying "I pick the team, I don't listen to anyone else, and especially not the fucking neck-ends that inhabit twitter".

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

20 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Also I'd like to add my thoughts about Dan Burn, I feel for him a bit as he's blatantly being targeted now and the blind faith Howe is putting in him is costing the team and Burn himself. Dan Burn is a solid defender and been a great servant for us but all players have their restraints/limits and a big lad like Dan it's always going to be pace. The fact he's got little to no protection in the current system Howe plays means he's like a sitting duck at Left Back and with so much space in the channels for speedy wingers every game it's the same story. It would actually be better for Dan Burn to play as the left side of a back 3 to be honest if Howe insists on playing him, that way there's more protection from a wing back and the system is much more compact. Otherwise Tino has to play at Arsenal if Howe keeps the same system, Tino's pace and reading of the game makes him the better left back for me and it cuts out that threat down the oppositions right wing.

Pope and Joelinton missing means our defence is not being protected from behind or in front. 

Dubravka can't play sweeper keeper, so a higher line is exploited by balls over the top, and the midfield aren't as physical so can be more easily played through.

Burn is a lot slower, and less agile than Trippier, so his side is being targeted more. He's not a bad footballer, he's just unfortunate that that flank is our weakest right now. 

My preference would be Tino and Trippier as wingbacks either side of a trio of CBs. The 3 centre mids ahead of them and Gordon and Isak as mobile forwards. We'll lose a lot of the creativity, but hopefully we won't be so open.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

Pope and Joelinton missing means our defence is not being protected from behind or in front. 

Dubravka can't play sweeper keeper, so a higher line is exploited by balls over the top, and the midfield aren't as physical so can be more easily played through.

Burn is a lot slower, and less agile than Trippier, so his side is being targeted more. He's not a bad footballer, he's just unfortunate that that flank is our weakest right now. 

My preference would be Tino and Trippier as wingbacks either side of a trio of CBs. The 3 centre mids ahead of them and Gordon and Isak as mobile forwards. We'll lose a lot of the creativity, but hopefully we won't be so open.

I agree on the wingbacks and centre backs. I think Tripps and Tino bombing up and down the wing will make us very dangerous going forward aswell.

I just wonder how long Howe will give it before he tries something different. Whether its Tino coming in or a change in system as the Fish says. He's sticking with Burn but unless Joe is making a miraculous recovery our midfield problems aren't going away this season are they?

Does he think Willock or Anderson coming back will make a difference? They'll certainly provide the energy but not Joe's physical presence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I just wonder how long Howe will give it before he tries something different. Whether its Tino coming in or a change in system as the Fish says. He's sticking with Burn but unless Joe is making a miraculous recovery our midfield problems aren't going away this season are they?

Does he think Willock or Anderson coming back will make a difference? They'll certainly provide the energy but not Joe's physical presence.

They'll be an improvement on Miley and allow us to bring more fresh legs on but other than that I agree. Tonali can control a game better as well.

I really like Anderson but he never seems to get a break.

4 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

They'll be an improvement on Miley and allow us to bring more fresh legs on but other than that I agree. Tonali can control a game better as well.

:smile:

13 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Willock will make a big difference to our pressing intensity and defensive cover. I imagine we'll see bruno go back to DM and Willock come back in for Miley. 

I don't see Howe changing system or dropping Burn

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I think Anderson might be a bit of a victim of the system Howe prefers. Although it’s a shame he was injured too as, given the other players out, you’d think he’d have had plenty of opportunities this season 

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Anderson might be a bit of a victim of the system Howe prefers. Although it’s a shame he was injured too as, given the other players out, you’d think he’d have had plenty of opportunities this season 

His return could allow us to play more variations during the game. If we're on top, but not making real in-roads, swap out Longstaff or Miley for Anderson and play him in the hole?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, The Fish said:

His return could allow us to play more variations during the game. If we're on top, but not making real in-roads, swap out Longstaff or Miley for Anderson and play him in the hole?

Howe never plays that system though, even when we're chasing he game, which might explain why we never bid for Madison, or why those rumours linking us to MGW might be "wide of the mark" (Alan Oliver™)

Anderson seems destined to play either out wide or as one of the two number 8s. Whether either of those are are his best position remains to be seen, but I like what I've seen of him in glimpses so far. He certainly would have had loads of chances to impress and I could have seen him have the same kind of impact Miley has this season if it wasn't for that freak injury.  

What was it anyway that could keep him out - a stress fracture to his back? Does that usually sideline a player for 5 months (and counting)? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Howe never plays that system though, even when we're chasing he game, which might explain why we never bid for Madison, or why those rumours linking us to MGW might be "wide of the mark" (Alan Oliver™)

Anderson seems destined to play either out wide or as one of the two number 8s. Whether either of those are are his best position remains to be seen, but I like what I've seen of him in glimpses so far. He certainly would have had loads of chances to impress and I could have seen him have the same kind of impact Miley has this season if it wasn't for that freak injury.  

What was it anyway that could keep him out - a stress fracture to his back? Does that usually sideline a player for 5 months (and counting)? 

You're right, he doesn't. But I would.

Happy Indiana Pacers GIF by NBA

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

We played that system once or twice chasing a game last season, Brentford a prime example. He stuck Isak in the no 10 and we battered them second half.

I don't think it's his preference, but I don't think he's opposed to it when it tactically suits the game when we're losing.

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

We played that system once or twice chasing a game last season, Brentford a prime example. He stuck Isak in the no 10 and we battered them second half.

I don't think it's his preference, but I don't think he's opposed to it when it tactically suits the game when we're losing.

He tried it in Carabao cup final as well.