General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I like my job in general but post-lockdown I despise commuting after we moved to 4 days in the office last year. 

They cite "collaboration" but it's nonsense - if I could be at all arsed I'd look for a more remote based job.

In September I'll finish my mortgage and I hope it spurs me into doing something as my paranoia demands not rocking the boat till then. 

I saw something written a while ago saying better health into older years was a godsend as it meant we'd be able to work longer which to me got it completely wrong - we should all be looking to finish earlier. The con known as pensions is the reason why I think. 

• Like 3

I don’t mind my job at all but I’m fully aware I kind of lucked into it. I’d be sick as a fucking chip if I was still in the role I started in the civil service nearly 5 years back. In truth I hated the job I had before that. But I was comfortable and quite well paid and the company were nice enough too. Until I was made redundant anyway :lol: 

20 minutes ago, NJS said:

I like my job in general but post-lockdown I despise commuting after we moved to 4 days in the office last year. 

They cite "collaboration" but it's nonsense - if I could be at all arsed I'd look for a more remote based job.

In September I'll finish my mortgage and I hope it spurs me into doing something as my paranoia demands not rocking the boat till then. 

I saw something written a while ago saying better health into older years was a godsend as it meant we'd be able to work longer which to me got it completely wrong - we should all be looking to finish earlier. The con known as pensions is the reason why I think. 

Civil service has recently made the arbitrary move to everyone (except in certain circumstances) having to work 60% of the time in the office. It suits me but it’s ludicrous for a number of reasons. The best one being they don’t actually have the office capacity anymore post-covid. Yet another ministerial decision imposed on a whim with absolutely fucking zero thought put into how it would be implemented. 

Start at the new place a week on Monday. I'll get back to you. 

On paper it's the same job I've done the past 5 years, which has been alright. If I'm honest though, I'm basically fully focused on retiring 12 years from now. That's the goal anyway. Any jobs I have between now and then are about ticking the years off, and not much more. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Start at the new place a week on Monday. I'll get back to you. 

On paper it's the same job I've done the past 5 years, which has been alright. If I'm honest though, I'm basically fully focused on retiring 12 years from now. That's the goal anyway. Any jobs I have between now and then are about ticking the years off, and not much more. 

I hope it goes well or, at the very least, has scope for serious loafing opportunities 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like Rents, used to enjoy my job more because of the people. Now it's very much a way to pay for the things I do enjoy. 

Don't have the luxury of a civil service/NHS pension waiting for me so going through the motions for another couple of years. 🙂 

We're a happy bunch 😂

I'm quite lucky. I do 4 day weeks and that makes such a big difference. Since changing to it I feel a lot more relaxed in work on a whole. I enjoy the work and we have a canny team. The bairns we have recruited recently too want to work and they're coming on leaps and bounds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We're a happy bunch 😂

I'm quite lucky. I do 4 day weeks and that makes such a big difference. Since changing to it I feel a lot more relaxed in work on a whole. I enjoy the work and we have a canny team. The bairns we have recruited recently too want to work and they're coming on leaps and bounds. 

Do you spread your time (eg 37.5 hrs) over the 4 days or is it just a smaller amount of hours?

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Do you spread your time (eg 37.5 hrs) over the 4 days or is it just a smaller amount of hours?

I do 38h days. So effectively do 85%

Serious question. Do the people on here that speak about loafing and doing fuck all at work  actually mean it?

Im a "work to rule" type of bloke. I work hard all day, every day for 37.5hrs a week. I vary from some of my colleagues though, who beast themselves everyday and are still sending emails at 9pm etc. Fuck that. I work to live, not the other way round.

I also have colleagues whose mantra is "get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible" which I struggle to stomach tbh. They just make everyone else's job harder which just impacts on patients ultimately. The same cunts have a week off sick every other month.

I dunno, maybe it's a public vs private sector thing? I just feel like if no-one ever actually puts any effort in at work then the country will end up even more on its arse than it is now. 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Serious question. Do the people on here that speak about loafing and doing fuck all at work  actually mean it?

Im a "work to rule" type of bloke. I work hard all day, every day for 37.5hrs a week. I vary from some of my colleagues though, who beast themselves everyday and are still sending emails at 9pm etc. Fuck that. I work to live, not the other way round.

I also have colleagues whose mantra is "get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible" which I struggle to stomach tbh. They just make everyone else's job harder which just impacts on patients ultimately. The same cunts have a week off sick every other month.

I dunno, maybe it's a public vs private sector thing? I just feel like if no-one ever actually puts any effort in at work then the country will end up even more on its arse than it is now. 

Have you seen the number of posts on here during the day :lol:  

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Yes. I used to work 50hr weeks (plus being woken up in the middle of the night regularly for calls…then expected to be in the next day) and with young kids and mrs that works full time. 

i moved jobs a couple of years ago to get out of that. I’m now in a job where I can literally pick the kids up at 3pm and if I didn’t come back nobody would care. As long as the work gets done (and it can fluctuate from busy to nothing). t literally took me about a year to get my head around this mentality. I’m looking to get back into something more challenging but everything would be a pay cut at the mo.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Like CT said look at the posts on here during the day :lol: 

Joking aside though, I do graft and get my deadlines done and dusted.  If one of my colleagues I see is struggling I like to think I will help out, that's what sort of team we have.  Like Holden, I have been there and done that with the mad hours and fuck all reward.  During '08 / '09 the industry was fucked.  I was doing 50+ hour weeks and got fuck all OT, fuck all flexibility and at Christmas got a bottle of wine.  Meanwhile shareholders got massive bonuses, fuck that.

I do reports at home sometimes as I prefer to do them like that.  I help the grads a lot at work and find it difficult to get my head down to do them in the office.  These are done in my own time, but I am not up until midnight doing them.  I clock off at 20:00 that's my rule.  Plus, its only like 2 reports a month and I can live with that.  When I was at uni I had a senior guy who put a lot of time into grads and that stuck with me.  He was a mag too which helped.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Like CT said look at the posts on here during the day :lol: 

Joking aside though, I do graft and get my deadlines done and dusted.  If one of my colleagues I see is struggling I like to think I will help out, that's what sort of team we have.  Like Holden, I have been there and done that with the mad hours and fuck all reward.  During '08 / '09 the industry was fucked.  I was doing 50+ hour weeks and got fuck all OT, fuck all flexibility and at Christmas got a bottle of wine.  Meanwhile shareholders got massive bonuses, fuck that.

I do reports at home sometimes as I prefer to do them like that.  I help the grads a lot at work and find it difficult to get my head down to do them in the office.  These are done in my own time, but I am not up until midnight doing them.  I clock off at 20:00 that's my rule.  Plus, its only like 2 reports a month and I can live with that.  When I was at uni I had a senior guy who put a lot of time into grads and that stuck with me.  He was a mag too which helped.

Aye. My previous job got taken over by American shareholders and they just expanded, expanded, expanded. I was literally one of 3 keeping the company going 24x7. One of others was worn into the ground and almost had a mental breakdown and had to take time off for mental health. 

Their reaction was to get rid of him as they thought he was trying it on. Luckily my boss stuck up for him and he kept this job. Utter pricks. Everything is about pure profit to them.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 3

I get all my stuff done but I wouldn't say I'm flat out all day. But it's cos I've put loads of time into working out how to make my life easier by automating things. Like a report that would have taken me half a day, now taking me 20 minutes, things like that. 

But you just don't tell people that it now takes 20 minutes - they don't care, they get their report regardless and I get time to automate something else or to piss about. 

I'll be back to square one at the new place for a bit, but I'll be looking to do the same thing again over time. 

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Only an idiot would keep going back and asking for more work to fill their day if they're already doing what's asked of them. 

I work with people who are fucking shite at using the tools at their disposal and have no interest in getting better at it cos "this is the way it works for me". They're the ones still online at 7 at night. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I get all my stuff done but I wouldn't say I'm flat out all day. But it's cos I've put loads of time into working out how to make my life easier by automating things. Like a report that would have taken me half a day, now taking me 20 minutes, things like that. 

But you just don't tell people that it now takes 20 minutes - they don't care, they get their report regardless and I get time to automate something else or to piss about. 

I'll be back to square one at the new place for a bit, but I'll be looking to do the same thing again over time. 

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Only an idiot would keep going back and asking for more work to fill their day if they're already doing what's asked of them. 

I work with people who are fucking shite at using the tools at their disposal and have no interest in getting better at it cos "this is the way it works for me". They're the ones still online at 7 at night. 

Like I say, maybe it's a private vs public sector thing. I'm not sure I'd be breaking my back to get paid the same whilst making someone at the top richer.

No-one joins the NHS to make their fortune though. The people that benefit from hard graft are patients and your colleagues more often than not 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye. I’m reasonably tech savvy and in the job I was doing over Covid I was a sort of unofficial ‘go to’ person for helping people out with spreadsheets and getting new team onboard with the google software suite. We had loads of new people coming in and out if the team as it was a sort of ‘emergency response’ area of work and they’d often have come from a department where everything was Microsoft. Most people were receptive to help but you’d have a few who were of the attitude of ‘this is how I’ve always done things’. As you know I’m far from a pushy individual so I came at it from a pov of being there to help rather than ‘this is the way you must do things’. We had one fella who didn’t trust spreadsheets so insisted on doing calculations on a pen and paper. I tried telling him it was making his life harder as well as inviting errors. He wouldn’t have it. The grade he was on plus the amount of year’s service meant he must have been on c. £50k a year. He was stressed to fuck whilst being about as much use as a chocolate teapot. 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

I post on here loads during my working day. My job is project-based, so I have a deadline every 6-8 weeks or so. I’m pretty good at managing my time and am the most productive person on my team, completing more projects than my colleagues every year.

I reckon this is precisely because I don’t work all hours of the day flat out. I alternate between getting my head down and rewarding myself with little bursts on here or twitter. I think I’m undiagnosed adhd, because I struggle to focus on a single thing for too long. If I didn’t give myself little rewards after burst of work, I’d get bogged down and would be less productive. I’m convinced of that. 

I tend to post less when I’m out in the field reporting and as I’m nearing deadline. I don’t look at posting on here or scrolling through Twitter as slacking though. I always hit my deadline and I will work in evenings and weekends as I near my deadline if I need to. 

There was a period when I wasn’t enjoying my role so much but it’s changed a lot in the past 4 years or so and I’m in a good place at the moment.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. I’m reasonably tech savvy and in the job I was doing over Covid I was a sort of unofficial ‘go to’ person for helping people out with spreadsheets and getting new team onboard with the google software suite. We had loads of new people coming in and out if the team as it was a sort of ‘emergency response’ area of work and they’d often have gone from a department where everything was Microsoft. Most people were receptive to help but you’d have a few who were of the attitude of ‘this is how I’ve always done things’. As you know I’m far from a pushy individual so I came at it from a pov of being there to help rather than ‘this is the way you must do things’. We had one fella who didn’t trust spreadsheets so insisted on doing calculations on a pen and paper. I tried telling him it was making his life harder as well as inviting errors. He wouldn’t have it. The grade he was on plus the amount of year’s service meant he must have been on c. £50k a year. He was dressed to fuck whilst being about as much use as a chocolate teapot. 

Aye, sounds very similar to our place. Our Finance team is wall to wall arseholes and I took over some of their work last year cos they were cry arseing on about how it shouldn't really be theirs and it was taking them 6 hours a day and they were doing weekends and bank holidays to get it finished. 

So fucking Muggins gets it by order of our twat of a CEO and genuinely within a couple of weeks, it was less than a half hour job. They don't want it back now that it's fixed, they just wanted it off their plate and couldn't give a fuck if it was me doing weekends and bank holidays, as long as it wasn't them. 

I'm not saying this to try and sound impressive, what I'm saying is why the fuck should I get handed that shit sarnie and then be expected go back asking for more stuff to do. 

Especially when the context for all of us is that if they could find a piece of software that would do our jobs quicker and cheaper than us, they'd fuck us off straight away. Maybe that is the difference that KD is referring to. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Especially when the context for all of us is that if they could find a piece of software that would do our jobs quicker and cheaper than us, they'd fuck us off straight away.

Aye. That's exactly what's happening to me (although in "our" case, the software isn't actually good enough for what they want it to do yet but they don't seem to realise that, which is another reason they're losing business and opting to cut jobs in response - it's a vicious circle of AI venture capital techbro fuckwittery).

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I alternate between getting my head down and rewarding myself with little bursts on here or twitter.

I think this is good policy for any desk-based job really, especially one that involves writing/creation in any form. I do work hard sometimes (honest :lol: ) but even then, I'll be punctuating it with micro-breaks of a minute or two to refresh this place, have a pop at LTA or CT, then get straight back to work again. It all helps with focus.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I reckon this is precisely because I don’t work all hours of the day flat out. I alternate between getting my head down and rewarding myself with little bursts on here or twitter. 

This is me. 

I've got more to say but am I fuck wasting my time on here on weekend day. Tune in tomorrow. 👍

• Haha 1