General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Anyone know a decent gardener in the Sluice area?

My folks need someone to do some work to repair after the storm, and to maintain.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My folks need someone to do some work to repair after the storm, and to maintain......

"......And when you're done with the old folks horticultural needs I have some needs of my own I'd like you to attend to, Ted."

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

"......And when you're done with the old folks horticultural needs I have some needs of my own I'd like you to attend to, Ted."

hqdefault.jpg

I have all my needs satisfied. I've got my Audible seminar on football analytics, a comic and my frozen-grape-chilled glass of Gewürztraminer

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My folks need someone to do some work to repair after the storm, and to maintain.

Deano is from the coast iirc 

• Haha 5

Last year my Dad had a couple of falls. Doctors were at a loss as to the cause and he was comparatively fit and healthy so aside from doing tests and scans were happy for him to carry on as normal. He had a seizure this morning, got whisked off to hospital in the ambulance, had another seizure while waiting to be seen. Thankfully because he was surrounded by medical professionals they were able to immediately diagnose it as an epileptic fit. 

So, 76yr old, never had a problem before, now he can't drive, he'll miss out on this amazing holiday (for the time being at least) and will have to deal with whatever treatments/medications he'll need to manage this. 

Anyone know anything about epilepsy? Can it suddenly appear, or has he always had it? Is it exacerbated by having an heroic son?

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Last year my Dad had a couple of falls. Doctors were at a loss as to the cause and he was comparatively fit and healthy so aside from doing tests and scans were happy for him to carry on as normal. He had a seizure this morning, got whisked off to hospital in the ambulance, had another seizure while waiting to be seen. Thankfully because he was surrounded by medical professionals they were able to immediately diagnose it as an epileptic fit. 

So, 76yr old, never had a problem before, now he can't drive, he'll miss out on this amazing holiday (for the time being at least) and will have to deal with whatever treatments/medications he'll need to manage this. 

Anyone know anything about epilepsy? Can it suddenly appear, or has he always had it? Is it exacerbated by having an heroic son?

Iirc he will have a provisional diagnosis of epilepsy due to having two seizures in quick succession. But fairly sure he will need more diagnostic work up. God knows how long that will take post-covid. There could be lots of causes, I think the fact that these seizures have spanned several months might be a good sign in a way. Any other neurological symptoms? Lots of drugs for preventing seizures, none of them very nice I'm afraid. Best of luck. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Iirc he will have a provisional diagnosis of epilepsy due to having two seizures in quick succession. But fairly sure he will need more diagnostic work up. God knows how long that will take post-covid. There could be lots of causes, I think the fact that these seizures have spanned several months might be a good sign in a way. Any other neurological symptoms? Lots of drugs for preventing seizures, none of them very nice I'm afraid. Best of luck. 

Other Neurological symptoms is tricky. Partly because I don't see him often, so it's hard to have a baseline. Plus, he's 76 so while his memory is a bit shaky, it's never been great and is he forgetting because of his age or because of something else? I mean, he's not forgetting anything important. 

When you say not very nice, what are we talking about? 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Other Neurological symptoms is tricky. Partly because I don't see him often, so it's hard to have a baseline. Plus, he's 76 so while his memory is a bit shaky, it's never been great and is he forgetting because of his age or because of something else? I mean, he's not forgetting anything important. 

When you say not very nice, what are we talking about? 

I was thinking headaches, blurred vision, etc. 

From memory anti-epileptic drugs can have some unpleasant adverse effects, such as sedation, fatigue, mood changes. Avoid valproate if he intends to get pregnant. Also they can affect how other drugs are metabolised, I assume its quite likely your Dad is on multiple medications at his age. Nothing too bad and definitely worth it if it keeps him driving etc. 

My mate has epilepsy and, obviously he's not 76, but it came on pretty quickly and abruptly as you described. Other than not being able to drive, he seems to manage it well enough but it took them fucking ages to land on the right dosage and the right medication for him. There could be plenty trial and error ahead if your old man is the same. Hopefully he's not too bad and hopefully it's a lot easier for him.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this Dave. Sounds like he's in the best care and hopefully they get it sorted. 

My step-mam had a fairly heafty stroke a few years ago and she's suffered periodic epileptic seizures ever since. The worst one being last year during the middle of the night as she was walking to the bathroom and ended up falling down the staircase. How the fuck she's still here I'll never know - built of strong stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I was thinking headaches, blurred vision, etc. 

From memory anti-epileptic drugs can have some unpleasant adverse effects, such as sedation, fatigue, mood changes. Avoid valproate if he intends to get pregnant. Also they can affect how other drugs are metabolised, I assume its quite likely your Dad is on multiple medications at his age. Nothing too bad and definitely worth it if it keeps him driving etc. 

He's not complained about headaches or blurred vision or anything as of yet. Doesn't mean he hasn't had them mind.

To be honest, Dad's not on much of anything as far as I know. Just iron tablets, but that's just a new thing, pretty mild and Doctor says that could be manageable by increasing the iron in his diet. 

Fatigue might not be a bad thing, he's somehow become busier since he retired, so if he's forced to slow down a bit it might help. :lol:

Cheers for this I appreciate it, I'm honestly relieved to know now what it is. Or at least have a good idea of what it is. If medication means he'll not have seizures but he'll have some side-effects, it's a small price to pay.

And thanks to the others too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

The wife had a seizure in her thirties and it seemed like a one off till she had two more within a few months about five years later. It was epilepsy and she was put on medication and no more seizures until a couple of years later when she had another which everyone seems to put down to being tired, ill and run down which fits in with the rest as well as stress. She's on kepra tablets. When my youngest daughter was around 6-7 we discovered she had childhood absence epilepsy which apparently is now gone after a few years medication and she's grew out of it but they did say one of us probably had epilepsy but at this time the missus hadn't had any seizures. She's generally fine so three episodes in ten years minus meds and one with. Hoping there'll be no more but at least we know what it is and what to do which we didn't originally. (I thought she having a stroke then thought she was dying as she seemed to stop breathing on the first. It was very traumatic for my kids who were young).

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about your old man’s troubles Fish, glad they’re being sorted. 

If you want to cheer him up you could buy him a Stetson and toy guns and start calling him Tex Fitz 👍

• Haha 2