General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

i'm tempted by manchester or bristol if i stay in the UK. might have an opportunity to move to SF, so might have to tap up the ginger ninja for some top tips about west coast living. definitely had my fill of the smurk though after 16 years.

You're leaving the smoke for Manchester? How come?

Outside London, not sure why you'd pay those rents when you could buy cheaper. If you're in a settled relationship like, which it sounds like you both are.

When we lived in London we paid £1300 a month for a one bed flat, so it's still miles cheaper.

Renting for one more year to get my finances sorted before we buy, our lass worked freelance all last year so I basically supported us both, so the extra time is sorely needed.

i'm tempted by manchester or bristol if i stay in the UK. might have an opportunity to move to SF, so might have to tap up the ginger ninja for some top tips about west coast living. definitely had my fill of the smurk though after 16 years.

Why Manchester? I work there a bit and admittedly don't know it that well for going out, but don't get the appeal. From my experience there are far nicer UK cities definitely including Newcastle. No offence to the grey man like if he is by any chance is reading.

SF I have heard conflicting stories about, not that I have any chance of moving stateside (nor would want to).

Edited by Renton

He works in the media. I'm assuming the decent opportunities beyond London in England largely amount to the Beeb. They obviously moved loads of shit up to Salford Quays a little while back and isn't a lot of the natural history stuff based in Bristol?

Manchester is a class city, loads to do if you want but not such an arse on to get around as London, plus cheaper. There is also lots of jobs and a load of investment in and around the city centre. Within an hour you can be in the dales, the lakes and Liverpool is only 40 mins away. You can be back home in the NE in 2 hour as well.

I've lived all over but I reckon I will stay here the longest.

He works in the media. I'm assuming the decent opportunities beyond London in England largely amount to the Beeb. They obviously moved loads of shit up to Salford Quays a little while back and isn't a lot of the natural history stuff based in Bristol?

self facilitating media node tbh

Manchester is a class city, loads to do if you want but not such an arse on to get around as London, plus cheaper. There is also lots of jobs and a load of investment in and around the city centre. Within an hour you can be in the dales, the lakes and Liverpool is only 40 mins away. You can be back home in the NE in 2 hour as well.

the only thing putting me off it is my kids ending up with manc accents

Edited by Dr Gloom

the only thing putting me off it is my kids ending up with manc accents

Says the bloke who lost his Geordie one about 2 weeks after he started university

i never really had a broad geordie accent in the first place. neither of my parents are from the area, so i always had a posh voice at home compared to at school. the little accent i had is all but gone but i still say grass and bath instead of grarrs and barth.

but i love the geordie accent, unlike the manc accent which is up there with brummie, or thick bristolian.

I get the job opportunities bit but not the rest. It hasn't got any facilities that any other large city hasn't also but can't match London. It's flat and architecturally uninspiring. Transport links with the NE is actually shit and in Newcastle you're closer to the lakes, Scotland, north York's moor, and of course beautiful Northumberland. And the weather is a bit grim Tbh.

Apart from that it's great though. ;)

Our days in London are numbered too. No chance of ever buying down here (at least anywhere I'd want to live, either property- or location-wise), and it'd be ridiculous money even if we could afford it. Our tenancy is on a two-year cycle and it's up in a couple of months, so we're renewing one more time and will be using the intervening time for him to scope out jobs elsewhere and for us to figure out where in the north we want to end up (I admit I'll be trying to steer us NE-wards if possible :blush:). Nearly decided to jack it in this time round, but we've got friends and a bit of an actual community around here now (I know, in London and everything) and a bit more planning is probably wise - the next move ideally wants to be for settling down properly, I can't be fussed with upping sticks with renter-like frequency, so this gives us time to look around properly.

I've never been to Manchester without being accosted by a randomer on the street acting abusively or threateningly at some point. (Not the same randomer each time, as far as I can tell.) Doesn't endear the place to me as somewhere to live, but I realise I should probably base my opinion on something more concrete than that. :lol:

Our tenancy is on a two-year cycle and it's up in a couple of months, so we're renewing one more time

And even that's contingent on the landlords not hiking the rent, but they're an older couple who've been burned by dubious tenants in the past so I think they're happy to have us. Hopefully. :scare:

SF is mint, but I can't imagine it's any cheaper than London.

I was paying $1400 a month for a one bed apartment in the city. I was talking to someone on reddit recently who reckoned that the same place, in the same neighbourhood would be between $3 to $4k per month, possibly higher. This was Pacific Heights, but it wasn't top end Pacific Heights.

Particularly with a family, you would probably have to live somewhere over the water like Walnut Creek, Pleasanton or Dublin. Which is nice but you're way out of SF so you wouldn't really benefit from living in the city etc. Nights out in the city would be a ballache too.

I think normal people without the benefit of rent control have pretty much been priced out of living in SF now.

yeah, i know it's probably as expensive a place to live as london but financially it would stack up. it's more a quality of life decision. smaller, less chaotic city, more of a family-driven, outdoor lifestyle, amazing state to explore.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Our days in London are numbered too. No chance of ever buying down here (at least anywhere I'd want to live, either property- or location-wise), and it'd be ridiculous money even if we could afford it. Our tenancy is on a two-year cycle and it's up in a couple of months, so we're renewing one more time and will be using the intervening time for him to scope out jobs elsewhere and for us to figure out where in the north we want to end up (I admit I'll be trying to steer us NE-wards if possible :blush:). Nearly decided to jack it in this time round, but we've got friends and a bit of an actual community around here now (I know, in London and everything) and a bit more planning is probably wise - the next move ideally wants to be for settling down properly, I can't be fussed with upping sticks with renter-like frequency, so this gives us time to look around properly.

I've never been to Manchester without being accosted by a randomer on the street acting abusively or threateningly at some point. (Not the same randomer each time, as far as I can tell.) Doesn't endear the place to me as somewhere to live, but I realise I should probably base my opinion on something more concrete than that. :lol:

i've only been to manchester a handful of times but have always been struck by the sheer volume of walking cliches - knuckle dragging, swaggering liam gallagher wannabe types and it's always struck me as a quite edgy town, where a fight is never too far away.

if we stay in the UK i quite fancy heading home, but the wife isn't keen. she reckons you should never go back too, which i sort of get.