General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Ah it's only a half hour drive. If it's nice, I'll go. Is it worth a half hour drive? Your reputation is on the line here.

It's nothing out of this world, just a nice homely local-run place that does decent-quality café stuff well, so I'd say it's probably only worth going out of your way for if the sun is shining and the weather's canny enough to have a stroll along the adjacent beach afterwards. Worth a stop en route to points northward too, but not a destination in itself.

My reputation already lags well behind me, so I'm not too concerned.

SF is mint, but I can't imagine it's any cheaper than London.

I was paying $1400 a month for a one bed apartment in the city. I was talking to someone on reddit recently who reckoned that the same place, in the same neighbourhood would be between $3 to $4k per month, possibly higher. This was Pacific Heights, but it wasn't top end Pacific Heights.

Particularly with a family, you would probably have to live somewhere over the water like Walnut Creek, Pleasanton or Dublin. Which is nice but you're way out of SF so you wouldn't really benefit from living in the city etc. Nights out in the city would be a ballache too.

I think normal people without the benefit of rent control have pretty much been priced out of living in SF now.

That's what was getting me when were there the other week...we were staying on Broadway (between mid Polk and Van Ness, fuckin noisey! I think it was vaguely between Russian Hill and Nob Hill) and all the dive bars appeared to be full of regular blue collar Joes & Josephines all pissed up well beyond the time for heading back to Oakland or wherever its cheaper. We looked at property prices and rents out of curiosity and theres no way any of them could be living locally.

Aye, I mean there's a lot of house sharing goes on way past what we would be prepared to accept over here - stick 5 people in a house earning decent money and you can suddenly afford the insane rents relatively easily.

But it's not sustainable long term, and you couldn't go over there with a family with one or two earners and expect to settle in the city.

Re that location, aye Van Ness is basically a main road. Polk is good for bars though, assume you had a few nights out there.

I had a few mates who lived in a house a few blocks from Polk (opposite direction to Van Ness) and it was a great location for bars and restaurants.

I

Think of it like denpressure, except gravity is clearly nonsense, made up by Big Pharma to keep the sheeple in the dark.

WAKE UP DAVE!