What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Tacky music, economic problems that make this recession seem like a golden age, awful clothes and the worst era for football. So jealous ;)

There was loads of great 80s stuff around (and loads more shite, like every other decade I suppose) although I'm not sure I'd pick a Welsh bloke singing a 1950s song, in a 1950s style, wearing 1950s attire as a representation of its zenith ;)

Tacky music, economic problems that make this recession seem like a golden age, awful clothes and the worst era for football. So jealous ;)

Great music - Fact

Boom and Bust - The booms were good (not than any teenager should be worrying about economics).

Clothes were mint

Watching Keegan, Beardsley, Waddle and Gazza play for Newcastle was not to be sniffed at and the atmosphere was a million times better than today with a fraction of the crowd size.

Some of the tacky music was great. Although I dread to think what the fuck you were wearing c. 1984 when you took your lass out for a romantic spud-u-like, if your choice of music is anything to go by ;)

Aye I'm nor disputing there were some brilliant bands. But my two favourite 80s bands are My Bloody Valentine and The Pogues and I've seen both in my teenage years anyway, not the same as at the time obviously but it'll do. I'd say the bad band to good band ratio is the worst of any decade like.

Some of the tacky music was great. Although I dread to think what the fuck you were wearing c. 1984 when you took your lass out for a romantic spud-u-like, if your choice of music is anything to go by ;)

Thats one for the embarrassing picture thread next time Im in the loft.

Aye I'm nor disputing there were some brilliant bands. But my two favourite 80s bands are My Bloody Valentine and The Pogues and I've seen both in my teenage years anyway, not the same as at the time obviously but it'll do. I'd say the bad band to good band ratio is the worst of any decade like.

It's a bit daft anyway, grouping decades together, since the early 80s bore little resemblance to the stuff that started coming out in '88, '89 etc. but I seriously doubt your view holds up to much scrutiny. Look at some of the horrendous shite in the 70s and so on. It's cyclical in terms of what's fashionable too of course. Tell you what though, all the young 'uns going about in Harringtons, Lacoste tops and Fred Perrys make me feel like a right owld cunt. Which I am like, but still...

CT, you still got your leg warmers and deely-boppers? ;)

It's a bit daft anyway, grouping decades together, since the early 80s bore little resemblance to the stuff that started coming out in '88, '89 etc. but I seriously doubt your view holds up to much scrutiny. Look at some of the horrendous shite in the 70s and so on. It's cyclical in terms of what's fashionable too of course. Tell you what though, all the young 'uns going about in Harringtons, Lacoste tops and Fred Perrys make me feel like a right owld cunt. Which I am like, but still...

you mean I was supposed to stop wearing them?...when??!! :o

Not then but I could do with them now :lol:

Each generation might say the same but I think the totally differing styles of music were great in the 80's . I remember starting the eighties with long hair and jeans frayed ? and splashed with hippy oil and head banging in the local church hall.

This was followed by a punky phase in the early 80's and wearing my school blazer inside out with the chain off the bath plug attached to look hard and doing the pogo and dead fly.

Then came Grease so jeans and t.shirt with rolled up sleeves to store your fags.

After that it seemed to get a bit fucked up with all the new wave stuff and culture club etc but then it just became year after year filled with coolness where you had so many different music styles from simple minds to Kylie to U2 all competing the charts.

Its obviously the second half of the eighties which is responsible for my great music taste to this day.

Yeah it's definitely ridiculous grouping decades, but if someone's gonna pity you for not listening to Spandau Ballet what do you expect? ;)

I know it's probably not worth pointing out but My Bloody Valentine are better known for their 1990s release(s), if you include remixes, etc, than their 80s releases.

That said I saw Spandau Ballet at the time and My Bloody Valentine, also, at the(ir) time and I know which one of the two I'm revisiting in the now.

btw the 80s was amazing time musically if you scratch below the layers of mainstream shite. It was the last decade of the true independent band/label.

Each generation might say the same but I think the totally differing styles of music were great in the 80's . I remember starting the eighties with long hair and jeans frayed ? and splashed with hippy oil and head banging in the local church hall.

This was followed by a punky phase in the early 80's and wearing my school blazer inside out with the chain off the bath plug attached to look hard and doing the pogo and dead fly.

Then came Grease so jeans and t.shirt with rolled up sleeves to store your fags.

After that it seemed to get a bit fucked up with all the new wave stuff and culture club etc but then it just became year after year filled with coolness where you had so many different music styles from simple minds to Kylie to U2 all competing the charts.

Its obviously the second half of the eighties which is responsible for my great music taste to this day.

IMO the charts certainly have never been indicative of what I would call good music.

You do realise punk finished in 1979?

New wave started in 1980, Simple Minds were better before 1984 (when they discovered U2) and who goes from punk to Grease????

I know it's probably not worth pointing out but My Bloody Valentine are better known for their 1990s release(s), if you include remixes, etc, than their 80s releases.

That said I saw Spandau Ballet at the time and My Bloody Valentine, also, at the(ir) time and I know which one of the two I'm revisiting in the now.

btw the 80s was amazing time musically if you scratch below the layers of mainstream shite. It was the last decade of the true independent band/label.

Yeah I must admit Loveless is (unsurprisingly) my favourite, and that was 91. Still they were on the go for most of the 80s and split early into the 90s so I always seem to 'group' them as 80s. That said i see jesus and mary chain as 90s when theyre about the same so i guess im just a bit of a cunt ;).On the independent record etc note I admit you have a good point. I love Sarah records which were late eighties at their peak i think? Although that's only through modern bands like pains of being pure at heart etc. quite interesting how most of my favourite modern bands are influenced by 80s music after my unfair slagging of earlier :lol:

Yeah I must admit Loveless is (unsurprisingly) my favourite, and that was 91. Still they were on the go for most of the 80s and split early into the 90s so I always seem to 'group' them as 80s. That said i see jesus and mary chain as 90s when theyre about the same so i guess im just a bit of a cunt ;).

I don't know about the cunt bit but JMC were an 80s band with Psychocandy being released in 1985 and their biggest album.

Followed by Darklands in 87 and Automatic in 89.

Whereas MBV releases were Isn't Anything in 88 and Loveless in 91 - they only really released singles in the mid 80s and the line up and sound was completely different to the MBV most people know.

Oh and they've recently announced they have a new release coming out early 2013.

Not being pedantic or the like.

Bunching together decades of music is a futile exercise but let's all remember that pop music and indeed, music itself, reached a zenith with Edison Lighthouse's Love Grows in 1970 and has been on a downward slope since.

Um, no.