What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Oh yes, think I'll spend most of tomorrow afternoon going through every Eurovision entry, indeed.

Anyway, I can recommend the new Woods album if you're after a fairly relaxed, psychedelic pop album. Bit along the lines of your late 60s folk-pop stuff if that's your bag.

25 years ago today Beastie Boys released "Check Your Head"; recorded in LA, it's considered by a lot of well placed judges to be their definitive work. Well they're wrong, because the follow up 94 release "Ill Communications" is better. But there's not a lot in it tbh...

http://floodmagazine.com/43860/beastie-flood-6-cover-story/

I was living in Edinburgh at the time, bought it on vinyl from the long gone Avalanche Records in Hunter Square. Newcastle were in mortal danger of relegation to division three at the time and I'll always associate this record with brief feelings of simultaneous dread and joy, paranoia and euphoria...it was almost as if I didn't want to let myself enjoy it too much...which is obviously fuckin stupid :D

Ill communication for me too because it was the first one I heard at 14 and I listened to it to death.  

Then again, I can't argue with my own 5 star allocations and Hello Nasty has most for me....

Hello Nasty - 13

Licensed to Ill - 10

Ill communication - 9

Paul's Boutique - 8

Check Your Head - 7

To The 5 Boroughs - 5

Hot Sauce Committee Part Two - 3

System is flawed.  Hello Nasty might have a smoother distribution, but Ill Communication has more 11s. ;)

Going to have to spend the rest of the day figuring this out now.

Ill communication for me too because it was the first one I heard at 14 and I listened to it to death.  

Then again, I can't argue with my own 5 star allocations and Hello Nasty has most for me....

Hello Nasty - 13

Licensed to Ill - 10

Ill communication - 9

Paul's Boutique - 8

Check Your Head - 7

To The 5 Boroughs - 5

Hot Sauce Committee Part Two - 3

So that's the number of tracks you rate with 5* on each album?....am still analogue at heart I think, I've never even thought of doing that.

It's interesting what you say though, maybe Ill Communcations in general just evokes a feeling of a place in time? (there's dozens of records that do that for me)

So that's the number of tracks you rate with 5* on each album?....am still analogue at heart I think, I've never even thought of doing that.

It's interesting what you say though, maybe Ill Communcations in general just evokes a feeling of a place in time? (there's dozens of records that do that for me)

Aye, I've tagged every BBs album as "loved" as well like, so all the tracks go into my all time classic albums playlists.  But certain tracks are 5 starred individually as well, for when I'm listening to 5-star hip hop and only want  each artists very best work :D .  I can only choose music by algorithm nowadays.

Agree completely on the place and time.  I've only got 2 tracks off Big Calm by Morcheeba set to 5 stars now, and 1 off Erase and Rewind by Cardigans, but anything off those 2 take me straight back to working in a pub at 18 and getting into a lass that worked behind the bar behind her fellas back, so I love them both.