*OWEN ARRIVES IN NEWCASTLE FOR TALKS**

Optimistic Nut

My source reliably informs me that talks were set to continue, despite going on for 4 to 5 hours, until Chairman Freddie Shepherd announced, 'Fuck this, I'm bastard starving'.

The meeting was then adjourned.

21947[/snapback]

Did he manage to get to Greggs before closing time?

21953[/snapback]

Probably hungry for some hooker love tbh.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both BBC and SKY Sports websites have rephrased their headlines regarding Owen, before they both refered to Owen having talks with Newcastle, now they refer to having talks with Liverpool also today, and BBC say this:

Owen favours a move to Liverpool, but the club only want to pay a similar fee to the £8m Madrid paid for him.

Newcastle have already agreed a £17m fee with Real, but a return to Anfield seems more likely in the next 24 hours.

21915[/snapback]

I wonder what they are basing that presumption on? In the line above they clearly state that we are willing to pay more than double what Liverpool are prepared to offer.

Mixed feelings now I know he has already spoken to Liverpool. Disappointed that they got to him first but encouraged that he still came and spoke to us afterwards. Their deal can't have been that fantastic or he can't be confident they can put a deal together with Madrid otherwise surely he would have given us a polite thanks but no thanks.

I think the BBC are basing that presumption on the fact that the entire British press totally discounted the notion of him signing for Newcastle and have stood by that claim ever since...

Now it seems more of a possibility that he might, they're standing by their claim in order to save face and hope to fuck it comes off! If he does sign for Newcastle, expect to see signs of a 'dramatic last minute change of heart' like some of the rags had to come up with when Shearer signed for us instead of Man Utd.

I see people are making reference to the fact that Owen spoke to Liverpool first, but didn't Rooney talk to us before he spoke to Man Utd?

I think the BBC are basing that presumption on the fact that the entire British press totally discounted the notion of him signing for Newcastle and have stood by that claim ever since...

Now it seems more of a possibility that he might, they're standing by their claim in order to save face and hope to fuck it comes off! If he does sign for Newcastle, expect to see signs of a 'dramatic last minute change of heart' like some of the rags had to come up with when Shearer signed for us instead of Man Utd.

I see people are making reference to the fact that Owen spoke to Liverpool first, but didn't Rooney talk to us before he spoke to Man Utd?

22011[/snapback]

Yes, if he did sign for us they would still maintain they'd been right all along until the last second when he went back on everythign he'd ever said, or soem load of shite.

I remember at the time of the Shearer thing Paul Ince was at Inter but did an article in the press. And he was goign on about how great a signign it was for manu and how in one go they'd destroyed all their rivals and made themsleves practically invincible, and as you can guess this was before he'd signed for anybody.

But it was typical of the arrogant self obssessed wankers created by spedning anytime at Old Trafford and also reflected the biassed arseholes int he media who lapped it all up.

Needless to say when we signed him i don't recalle hearing any embrassing retractions from those in question, bunch of arseholes.

This is definitley further along the line than the Rooney 'deal' ever got.

Thanks Craig, you have confirmed exactly what I was thinking. Press bias / Liverpool-friendly BBC Sport looking down their noses at us.

I'd love us to sign him just to spite the thieves and their celebrity hangers-on.

This is definitley further along the line than the Rooney 'deal' ever got.

Thanks Craig, you have confirmed exactly what I was thinking. Press bias / Liverpool-friendly BBC Sport looking down their noses at us.

I'd love us to sign him just to spite the thieves and their celebrity hangers-on.

22025[/snapback]

You're paranoid.

Everyone thinks their club gets picked on.

If Owen had agreed a deal with Liverpool he would probably still talk to us, seems a decent bloke.

22033[/snapback]

I agree, he seems a very pleasant chap. But no matter how polite you are, you cannot string "No thank you" out for four hours.

22038[/snapback]

You can reject 1000 different offers in four hours though.

To be fair, if Owen had agreed a deal with Newcastle he'd probably still talk to Liverpool, seems a decent bloke.

If Owen had agreed a deal with Liverpool he would probably still talk to us, seems a decent bloke.

22033[/snapback]

Owen may have agreed a deal in principle with Liverpool but have Liverpool agreed one with Real?

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this comes off but i'll not be suprised if it doesn't. My only worry is that if we get snubbed we'll not get another striker in before the deadline.

22011[/snapback]

I think you've summed it up well. Liverpool as a club have a lot of friends or sympathisers in the press, not only in print but on the radio and on TV too. I remember how when LFC fans would phone up talkins claiming it was time for Houllier to go how they would be cut off or sneered at as ungrateful clowns. It was the same with Sunderland fans with Reid and us to some extent with Souness who too has a lot of friends in the media.

Lets not forget Owen does too, he's very media friendly and is the golden boy of the press in some respects, SFX who represent him have been known to use the likes of the Telegraph, Mail and Times to put out some quotes.

Ask a few Liverpool fans, they will tell you SFX have used the media brilliantly to twist Liverpool's arm somewhat.

I must say, at first I thought we were crazy but we have been very clever in this too, very clever and if we do pull it off, well I'll certainly think differently of one or two people at the club because this is a very well planned bit of business.

Anyway, I think we all need to understand that it's a game, each individual concerned is playing a game here. Madrid are, Owen certainly is, Liverpool are trying to and we are as well.

It's now drawing to a close and thank fuck for that when it does.

I personally think he will sign for Newcastle, I don't know why, call it a hunch. And if he doesn't, well I just hope we have a plan B.

The one niggle that keeps biting away at me is that an interested club have to have the permission of the club who holds a player's registration before they can talk to him about a possible transfer.

With that in mind, Madrid must have given Liverpool permission to speak to Owen - now generally that is by way of accepting a transfer bid which "we understand" Liverpool can't match or a loan agreement which "we understand" doesn't interest Real Madrid....

So why have they given permission? :D

Edited by Craig

The one niggle that keeps biting away at me is that an interested club have to have the permission of the club who holds a player's registration before they can talk to him about a possible transfer.

With that in mind, Madrid must have given permission to speak to Owen - now generally that is by way of accepting a transfer bid which "we understand" Liverpool can't match or a loan agreement which "we understand" doesn't interest Real Madrid....

22049[/snapback]

A lot of things don't add up for me too. For example, he has now held two rounds of talks with wor lot. Now if he was signing for Liverpool, having met them today, why then has he spent the last 7 hours or so on Tyneside? Why was Souness and Shearer there?

If you believe some sections of the press, he'll go back to Liverpool in the morning and sign for them. So again, why even talk to us? Doesn't make sense.

With that in mind, Madrid must have given Liverpool permission to speak to Owen - now generally that is by way of accepting a transfer bid which "we understand" Liverpool can't match or a loan agreement which "we understand" doesn't interest Real Madrid....

22049[/snapback]

It could be anything, perhaps Liverpool are still trying to finance the deal?

Forgive me if I'm repeating any posts from any topic ref the "boy" Owen but I aint trawling thru loads of cack just to add mine :D

We've offered more money than Liverpool can afford

Rafa sold him ( cos he wanted to go ) and I cant imagine he'd pay twice again to have him back, esp considering his OWN team have unbelievably won the Chmps League.

Real WON'T tolerate a loan deal cos we've offered megga bucks

That leaves Owen with a straight choice-

Stay at Real....NOT

Come to us.....Oh gan on then, if I must

or........................................................Do a deal with the Reds whereby he lowers his own terms to try and accomidate that move.

ps I dont give a chuff if he comes here 2nd best, I dont like my job either but it pays the bills :D

Edited by Groundhog

As the press have a cum-fest everytime we fall flat on our faces be it in transfer fiascos like this (yes, we'll get no Owen !) or in major games, and then spend weeks and even months rubbing our noses in it, I am astonished that the average geordie tends to just shrug it off. If Liverpool man U Arsenal etc fans were given the same treatment by the BBC or the national rags, there'd be bombs being left in their foyers ! Maybe thats why we get shit from the BBC et al.

another thing about the owen deal (that i cant be arsed to check all the owen threads for) is that stevie gerrard has just signed a massive new contract - i reckon liverpool simply cant afford him.

how real can let owen talk to liverpool when they absolutely dont have 17m to spend i dont know unless, maybe, real accepted a lower bid.

Haven't been able to read all 20 pages, but if Liverpool were serious about signing him, why has Owen even bothered coming here? He told us last week Liverpool was his first choice, so if, after talks with Benitez this morning it was agreed he'd sign for them, I'm sure Shepherd & Souness wouldn't have been too agrieved had Owen and his advisors phoned them saying something like "Thanks for the offer, but he's going to Liverpool".