Newcastle vs Arsenal

Besty

Good result and great to see such commitment but as others have said why does it take a "crisis" for them to lift their game and effort levels. We're still lacking any real creativity in the midfield and it needs to be addressed in Jan.

One of the best things I saw tonight was Butt calling the defence forward instead of sitting deep and allowing Arsenal time to move.

And Skol, you can talk up the fact it was against the league leaders but marra if you're honest with yourself you'll admit that was Arsenal's third choice midfield.

As yourservice states below, it's all about what happens next, against the less fancied clubs.

Thats all good,but teams like Birmingham and Derby etc we need to show the same,but it won't be,just because the Arsenal roadshow is in toon and where they are and how they play their football is why this is on show tonight,same old same old!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good result and great to see such commitment but as others have said why does it take a "crisis" for them to lift their game and effort levels. We're still lacking any real creativity in the midfield and it needs to be addressed in Jan.

One of the best things I saw tonight was Butt calling the defence forward instead of sitting deep and allowing Arsenal time to move.

And Skol, you can talk up the fact it was against the league leaders but marra if you're honest with yourself you'll admit that was Arsenal's third choice midfield.

As yourservice states below, it's all about what happens next, against the less fancied clubs.

Thats all good,but teams like Birmingham and Derby etc we need to show the same,but it won't be,just because the Arsenal roadshow is in toon and where they are and how they play their football is why this is on show tonight,same old same old!

Christ, i'm not saying we're going to win the league but it was a good result and more than what most people asked for. Recognise that atleast.

Off topic slightly, but was I the only person who saw Adebayor lean into Beye? It certainly wasn't a foul IMO.

Christ, i'm not saying we're going to win the league but it was a good result and more than what most people asked for. Recognise that atleast.

Off topic slightly, but was I the only person who saw Adebayor lean into Beye? It certainly wasn't a foul IMO.

I thought that too. It was at least half and half. I think given Ade's performance for the rest of the match, the officials weren't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he was trying another pen appeal so I think the ref got it right.

On the flip side I think Taylor was lucky. There's 'using your weight and strength' and there's a blatant shoulder barge. Taylor needs to make the latter look more like the former :nufc:

Can I bring the opening part of the first sentence, in bold, to your attention please?

And no you weren't the only one, as good as Adebayor is he's a right cheating cunt.

But I'd also like to hear whoever it was that called him Arsenal's Ameobi, has to say now.

If Hleb and Fabergas were on the field tonight and playing to the form they had before getting injured, he would of fucked us royally.

Edited by sammynb

I think we could and maybe would have won it if he hadn't made the change he made ie taking Geremi off for Viduka

I think playing Smith up front was major reason we played so well. His mobility and appetite massively helped us to keep the ball up the pitch and put them under pressure, during the spells we did this.

I don't think he should have disturbed this pattern, and when Viduka came on and Smith dropped back into midfield, I thought we would lose the initiative.

This is what happened. Viduka could have scored with his half chance at the edge of the box, and I slightly jumped when I thought he was going to shoot, but from a pattern of play point of view. I think he should have left Smith where he was, play Viduka next to him, and put Martins wide and Milner slightly behind him to fill the role that Geremi was playing, when he made that change.

Of course, people/idiots like Baggy [who has disappeared lately for some reason] will constantly compare Smith with Dyer, but Smith playing up front would play 25-30 games a season like tonight, whereas Dire has played 25-30 good games in 8 years :nufc:

But I would have taken the result and performance before the game.

I think we could and maybe would have won it if he hadn't made the change he made ie taking Geremi off for Viduka

I think playing Smith up front was major reason we played so well. His mobility and appetite massively helped us to keep the ball up the pitch and put them under pressure, during the spells we did this.

I don't think he should have disturbed this pattern, and when Viduka came on and Smith dropped back into midfield, I thought we would lose the initiative.

This is what happened. Viduka could have scored with his half chance at the edge of the box, and I slightly jumped when I thought he was going to shoot, but from a pattern of play point of view. I think he should have left Smith where he was, play Viduka next to him, and put Martins wide and Milner slightly behind him to fill the role that Geremi was playing, when he made that change.

Of course, people/idiots like Baggy [who has disappeared lately for some reason] will constantly compare Smith with Dyer, but Smith playing up front would play 25-30 games a season like tonight, whereas Dire has played 25-30 good games in 8 years :nufc:

Happy for Smith he's taken a lot of stick lately. Good player.

Happy for Smith he's taken a lot of stick lately. Good player.

The only position for him, and all of Allardyces problems stem from the fact that he - or someone, for whatever reason - decided not to replace Dire and Nobby properly in the summer.

I'm sure I read Leazes berating people for saying we're better off without Dyer the other day. :nufc:

Great performance and a great result, but some people will never be happy it seems.

No that wasn't leaze, that was westendlad, no wait it was ne5, no it wasn't him it was toondod, no wait it was...........

Well, that goes for the crowd as well as the players. Both sets need to do the same again. We need to be as up for Brum as we were for Arsenal. No good just getting behind them when one of the top teams comes (not that we did against 'pool). If we start off the same (excluding the conceded goal :nufc: ), hopefully the players will. But, we need to keep pressing and pushing as we did last night.

I have to mention as well, I was pleased to see us playing football and not hoofing the ball up front. Id just like to see us using the width more, esp the right.

Crackin match, now we need to score a few goals in the next 4 matches to get our goal difference back in the plus column and propel us into the top 6 or 7.

Feast or famine :nufc:

Good game last night, happy with the performance. Thought towards the end that maybe we should have won it, however we did nearly get caught out by them a few times. Same again at the weekend please. :nufc:

I though Smith was brilliant last night. Ran his arse off and won every header. I thought he was actually going to be taken off instead of Geremi, because he looked knackered. He swung his leg at the ball to take a shot at one stage, and it looked a bit desperate, but he seemed to get another burst of energy when he was back in midfield. His best performance for us so far.

Beye was excellent too, supported Martins well on the right and was solid defensively. His tug on the midfielder(where he got the yellow) was a clever piece of filth too.

Butt broke up play well and was very important to our play. His passing was a bit off though(as per usual!).

Barton is getting there, he still looks rusty and a step off the pace(his passing was poor too), but he breaks up the play well.

This performance reminded me of the same fixture under Souness.

I really enjoyed the match last night, high tempo, commitment and a few great individual performances, Smith take a bow he was all over the park making challenges, closing people down and winning almost every header that he went for, deserved a goal for his efforts.

The ref had a good game as well he didn't pull up the slightest challenge and let the game flow, I thought Adebayor put his arm across Beye and was leaning in a case of 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

I am not getting carried away but last night showed that the players are behind the manager so at least one rumour coming out of St James' has been rubbished. We now need to have the same attitude in our next 4 fixtures which are all winnable, obviously we need a playmaker in midfield and a quality wide right player but hopefully this will be addressed in January.

Bolton Wanderers 3-1 Arsenal 25-11-2006

Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Arsenal 28-01-2006

Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Arsenal 03-12-2005

Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Arsenal 15-01-2005

Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Arsenal 20-12-2003

Bolton Wanderers 2-2 Arsenal 26-04-2003

Arsenal 1-1 Bolton Wanderers 28-01-2007

Arsenal 1-1 Bolton Wanderers 11-02-2006

Arsenal 2-2 Bolton Wanderers 18-09-2004

Arsenal 1-1 Bolton Wanderers 22-09-2001

All together now...

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING" "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING"

:razz::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Well that record was well and truly shattered when their reserve/junior team outclassed us earlier in the season.

Because and only because Ameobi was taken off injured.

1-1. Were not going to stop them scoring.

:nufc:

second right prediction in two days.