Other games

Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just brought back memories of the '83 cup final there.

...and Smith must score....that moment probably defined his life to this day.

Showing your age now mate :( To be fair 85 is the first one I remember watching.

Showing your age now mate :razz: To be fair 85 is the first one I remember watching.

:( That's the moment I remember the most like. Ray Wilkins scoring a cracking goal as well (assuming it wasn't a cross). The cup final was such a massive game back with so few televised matches. Also remember Mike Gatting's brother playing for Brighton and Des Lynam getting interviewed before the game because he was a Brighton fan.

Showing your age now mate :razz: To be fair 85 is the first one I remember watching.

:( That's the moment I remember the most like. Ray Wilkins scoring a cracking goal as well (assuming it wasn't a cross). The cup final was such a massive game back with so few televised matches. Also remember Mike Gatting's brother playing for Brighton and Des Lynam getting interviewed before the game because he was a Brighton fan.

That's right centre half iirc. Aye the build up was class, 1215 hundreds of fans outside the hotels, and a helicopter following them through the streets. When we win the FA Cup it'll be an amazing feeling, but even 20 years ago it was 10 times as important as it is now. I think it started feeling shit about 93. Those two Arsenal - Sheff Wed games in FA Cup and Leagu Cup Finals were boring as fuck, and it never felt the same after that.

What price a ManU v Real Final ?

Barcelona may be "the team", but they are beatable, and Mourinho is one of those "lucky" winning managers, and has a bit of Brian Clough about him.

The first manager to win this trophy with 3 different clubs ? And to think Bobby Robson would have got him here if Porto hadn't offered him his first managerial job.

What price a ManU v Real Final ?

Barcelona may be "the team", but they are beatable, and Mourinho is one of those "lucky" winning managers, and has a bit of Brian Clough about him.

The first manager to win this trophy with 3 different clubs ? And to think Bobby Robson would have got him here if Porto hadn't offered him his first managerial job.

Last time Mourinho-led Madrid played Barca, it wasn't pretty. I don't think they have the heart or driveto beat Barca over two legs.

Really is Barca's competition to lose imo.

I'm sick of hearing about Barcelona personally. Arrogant arseholes. I love these comments about Messi "Messi must be hurt cos he never feigns injuries", he's like Robert Pires man, he's just a more covincing actor. Hope Real hump them tbh. As for Real not having the drive, what based on one result? Real are better than Inter were last season on paper, and they did them Real can too.

I'm sick of hearing about Barcelona personally. Arrogant arseholes. I love these comments about Messi "Messi must be hurt cos he never feigns injuries", he's like Robert Pires man, he's just a more covincing actor. Hope Real hump them tbh. As for Real not having the drive, what based on one result? Real are better than Inter were last season on paper, and they did them Real can too.

Based on the past several meetings between the two teams I think it's a fair comment that Real don't have the balls to challenge Barca yet. Barca blow them out the water because Madrid's superstars can't handle someone actually giving them a game. All very well to look good against teams that are intimidated by the big names and silky skills but another to grind out results against a team who are dancing the ball around you.

They're a great side, but they just can't go to that level beyond that Barca seem able to in the massive games. Don't get me wrong, I think the Barca players are disrespectful cunts of the highest order (how they escape any punishment for repeatedly and openly tapping-up Fabregas is astounding) but fuck me they can play football.

I'd love to see Schalke reach the final this season regardless, it'd be great to see an underdog go far in the competition. It'd be like Das Wunder von Bern. :(

If there's any club out there that has a right to be arrogant, it's this lot.

a manu v real final would be interesting. mourinho v fergie; both managers going for their third european cup. and rooney man u v barca would probably be the better game for the purists.

If there's any club out there that has a right to be arrogant, it's this lot.

When they've won more than three Champions League then they can pipe up. I'm of the opinion the talent in world football is shite, this Barcelona team is not better than Milan 1990 don't care what anyone says. I believe England probably are as FIFA say the 6th best side in the world, that sums up how weak world football is at present.

That's right centre half iirc. Aye the build up was class, 1215 hundreds of fans outside the hotels, and a helicopter following them through the streets. When we win the FA Cup it'll be an amazing feeling, but even 20 years ago it was 10 times as important as it is now. I think it started feeling shit about 93. Those two Arsenal - Sheff Wed games in FA Cup and Leagu Cup Finals were boring as fuck, and it never felt the same after that.

Truth is mate that we both really got into football at the outset of the European ban so between the years of 1986 and 1993ish the FA Cup held additional magic in my eyes. In them days I seem to remember the order of importance for English clubs was:

1. Double

2. League / Cup (equally)

3. Littlewoods Cup

4. Full Members / Simod / ZDS Cup

I also think Hillsborough took something massive out of it too - I never looked upon it with the same magical feeling after the events of 15th April 1989.

I used to love the build-up when I was a kid - there used to be a show the night before in the 70s where a panel would try and predict the result which was the start of it all.

I haven't watched a final now post our 2 in 98/99 as it just somehow feels dead - I think the low point was that Chelsea/Arsenal/Man Utd group about 4 or 5 years ago.

Is is not a bit ironic that you're calling Barcelona arrogant arseholes - yet you want a team that's managed by Mourinho, and has Ronaldo playing for them to hump them? Plus don't get me started on Perez.

If there's any club out there, that's not arrogant, it's Barcelona. They're far from it. Guardiola's a class act, as are the likes of Xavi.

I also wouldn't say Messi's a diver, not compared to the amount of stick he gets every week anyways. The majority of the time he looks to stay on his feet. I know he's cheated in the past (handballs etc).

Aye must admit it does get tiresome hearing the likes of tonight "we'll see how good real madrid really are when they meet barcelona 4 times in 18 days!"

Madrid are brilliant simple as that, so are barcelona, sometimes barca will win sometimes madrid will.

Credit where it's due Barcelona get all the comparisons because they play great football attacking wise and still don't bleed goals, and they've brought talent through the youth ranks.

When you watch madrid and barcelona playing anyone you never think if there will be a goal, it's generally more "i wonder how many".

Personally think Ronaldo's better if i'm honest, more complete than messi, both are quick and skillful and clinical finishers, but ronaldo has to be one of the best headers of a ball in the game as well.

Messi has a lot to thank xavi and iniesta for.

(neither are a patch on Maradona mind who would turn any team into some sort of contender on his own)

Does that mean Gullit was a better player than Maradona, as he was the more "complete" player?

Aye must admit it does get tiresome hearing the likes of tonight "we'll see how good real madrid really are when they meet barcelona 4 times in 18 days!"

Madrid are brilliant simple as that, so are barcelona, sometimes barca will win sometimes madrid will.

Credit where it's due Barcelona get all the comparisons because they play great football attacking wise and still don't bleed goals, and they've brought talent through the youth ranks.

When you watch madrid and barcelona playing anyone you never think if there will be a goal, it's generally more "i wonder how many".

Personally think Ronaldo's better if i'm honest, more complete than messi, both are quick and skillful and clinical finishers, but ronaldo has to be one of the best headers of a ball in the game as well.

Messi has a lot to thank xavi and iniesta for.

(neither are a patch on Maradona mind who would turn any team into some sort of contender on his own)

Does that mean Gullit was a better player than Maradona, as he was the more "complete" player?

I'll rephrase it, Ronaldo can do anything Messi can..plus he can head the ball like a demon, as a forward he has every attribute going, speed strength height two feet and technique.

I don't think Messi would be as "effective" without the likes of Xavi and co putting so much work in to help him, he's got two of the worlds best play-makers who are pretty unselfish consistently feeding him killer balls and passes rather than having a dig themselves at times.

(which pretty much rings true if you watch him for Argentina and he gets marked by a couple of decent players he's more or less nullified...like in the last world cup).

Both are excellent i just think Ronaldos better.

Messi's got a better attitude no doubt about it, if ronaldo ever adopts that though it'd help his game no end, all the stroppyness and hands on hips just does him no favours.

He can't though. He's not as good of a dribbler as Messi. You don't see Ronaldo dance past players the way Messi does.

Any player that has had the privilege of playing with Xavi or Iniesta, would say how great and unselfish they are. That shouldn't be used to take anything away from what Messi has achieved though.

You can't tell me that all of his 48 goals this season have been down to Xavi and Iniesta.