Other games

Park Life

Cracking game. Barca bossed it for a long period in the second half, but they weren't particularly threatening, the likes of Villa being anonymous. Madrid played deep and dirty against them; not genius tactics, but it worked. When they tried a high line they got beat 5-0. Wonder if Stoke vs City will be as good as that? Somehow I don't think so.

*Barca had NOTHING to offer from set pieces. There's a definite weakness.

Was a shite game I thought like. Barcelona were rubbish in the first half, but came to life in the second, where Madrid were happy to play like an Italian team and bore the life out of the game. Absolute picture book goal that won it though, the kind I used to dream about as a kid.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the way Madrid hunted down Barca in the first half was great to watch. Real were still lucky though as Casilas must have made at least 2 incredible saves (the chip from Pedro?) to keeop them in the game. Then again when the goal came for Real it was because the game was swinging back to them.

Everyone has had their say on Mourinho since the draw on saturday but as with every club he is at, the players fucking love him.

"He is a phenomenon," Casillas told reporters in the depths of Valencia's Mestalla stadium as the Real fans continued their celebrations in the streets outside. "He is the captain of the ship and with his philosophy he tries to instil values in us that have served us extremely well," added Ramos.

What do you expect them to say after a cup win? :) Not that that takes away from your point. His tactics were not any sort of genius though, it just displayed Barca's inability to penetrate a disciplined back line, as with Mourinho's Inter in the CL. They couldn't really get down the wings as there was no one to cross to in the box, so they pass it back to midfield and eventually come up against a stiff back line through the middle. Only during that period of domination in the 2nd half when they had a few shots at goal did they look particularly dangerous.

What do you expect them to say after a cup win? :) Not that that takes away from your point. His tactics were not any sort of genius though, it just displayed Barca's inability to penetrate a disciplined back line, as with Mourinho's Inter in the CL. They couldn't really get down the wings as there was no one to cross to in the box, so they pass it back to midfield and eventually come up against a stiff back line through the middle. Only during that period of domination in the 2nd half when they had a few shots at goal did they look particularly dangerous.

Beating the best side in the world with inferior players translates into superior tactics. Not sure i'd go as far as genius but fairly impressive stuff.

Beating the best side in the world with inferior players translates into superior tactics. Not sure i'd go as far as genius but fairly impressive stuff.

Far too simplistic a way of looking at it. Personally I think the win was more down to Barca's weaknesses, ie the inability to penetrate a rudimentary back line setup, and a moment of brilliance from Di Maria and Ronaldo. There is not a great chasm in class between the players in either squad, and if Barca had converted one of their chances during the long period of the second half in which they dominated, we would be talking about Mourinho's inability to deal with Barca's football. He has employed simplistic defensive tactics after the 5-0, but Mourinho's gift, in my opinion, is his ability to motivate his players and get them to execute said tactics with absolute discipline. Barca's failure to overcome these tactics shows us their weaknesses as a team. They were ok playing for a draw in La Liga, as they have now all but won it. It will be interesting to see how they respond over the CL legs.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I thought the way Madrid hunted down Barca in the first half was great to watch. Real were still lucky though as Casilas must have made at least 2 incredible saves (the chip from Pedro?) to keeop them in the game. Then again when the goal came for Real it was because the game was swinging back to them.

Everyone has had their say on Mourinho since the draw on saturday but as with every club he is at, the players fucking love him.

"He is a phenomenon," Casillas told reporters in the depths of Valencia's Mestalla stadium as the Real fans continued their celebrations in the streets outside. "He is the captain of the ship and with his philosophy he tries to instil values in us that have served us extremely well," added Ramos.

he's great Mourinho. He's got a bit of Brian Clough about him. The first man to win the European Cup with 3 different clubs ? Roman Abramovic will be fucking kicking himself.

If Everton can get something out of Man U at OT (unlikely, I know) but it would be a hell of a run-in.

Man U have to play Arsenal (a) then Chelsea (h), sandwiched between CL games.

I cant see anyone but Man U winning the title - but you never know.

Absolutely cracking goal in the MLS last night, Juan Agudelo, only 18, recently scored for USA vs Argentina, looks like the hype is justified and he might be a genuine talent unlike Freddy Adu.

Canny, that! How's Henry doing?

Absolute shit from what I've seen of him, looks like yet another player who is using the MLS as an early retirement option, although he looked good in the last couple games but on the whole he's been a massive let down.

It was a very good goal. But I reckon the co-commentator was bullshitting when he said he saw Henry do it for Arsenal. Blatantly trying to big himself up. Either that or I'm far too cynical.

Irrationally cynical as well.

What purpose would that serve?

Henry did it on the edge of the box against either manu or liverpool iirc.

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

Fair play if it did actually happen. But for some reason my immediate thought was he was trying to prove himself as some connoisseur of world football to the average american viewer.

Ya better stop smokin the weed ma'man.