What Are You Watching?

Ketsbaia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promised the girl she could watch a film, I fell asleep.

I am loving Kodi, watched our first half this morning as was too busy yesterday and had people over late so missed motd. Love the match replays in HD!

Aye the live and catch up matches are pure quality.

I also came across an add on when I first got it that had tons of historical nufc matches on. Can't remember where it was like.

Hosted by Silicon Valley star Kumail Nanjiani and with unlikely fans such as Rancid’s Tim Armstrong in the audience, The X-Files took over an LA cinema as the show prepares to return

Comedian Kumail Nanjiani faced a King Solomon-sized decision prepping for The X-Files: Live podcast and marathon, which the Silicon Valley star hosted on Saturday at the Cinefamily, an indie movie house in Los Angeles. Of the 202 episodes from the original Fox sci-fi series, which ran for nine seasons from 1993-2002, he could only choose six to screen. For a bona fide fanboy like Nanjiani, the selection process was torturous.
“The two I knew for sure were Home and Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose because those were two of my favorites,” Nanjiani said just before the theater’s doors opened. “After that, I wanted to pick episodes that were a little unexpected. I had a lot of meltdowns about it, about the order and the episodes.”
Nanjiani, who launched The X-Files Files podcast in 2014 as an homage to the show and the baffling cases of FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), had good reason to stress about the programming. Equally passionate was the horde of fans waiting outside, vying for a chance to spend 10 hours watching a secret lineup of classic episodes, hearing from special guests and viewing one of six new episodes before the limited series returns to Fox on 24 January (Channel Five in the UK the following month).
One of those diehard fans was Michael Floyd, of North Hollywood, who arrived at the theatre at 7.30pm on Friday. “I came here for an all-night horror show before this and just stayed afterwards,” he said. Floyd had come prepared, bringing a foldout chair to catch an hour or so of sleep in front of the 175-seat theater.
“This is one of the most popular events we’ve done in eight years,” said a bemused Hadrian Belove, one of the Cinefamily’s co-founders and its executive director. “I would say, based on the phone calls and emails and the passion of people who are concerned that they’re not getting in ... this is up there with when we had Al Pacino.”
By noon, the theater’s seats were filled with a roughly equal mix of men and women. The audience was also equally divided between Mulder-Scully relation-“shippers” and non-shippers (one of the series’ hotly debated issues was whether the pair should end up romantically involved). In the crowd was Tim Armstrong, frontman for Rancid and the Transplants, who has a role in the fourth episode of the upcoming season. A longtime fan, Armstrong reminisced about watching the X-files on VHS tapes in the 90s. “We [Rancid] would have marathons on the bus on long drives,” he said. “That was one thing we all had in common. The X-Files had something for everybody, and they were funny.”
Folie à Deux, a fifth-season episode written by Vince Gilligan (creator of Breaking Bad), kicked off the marathon. It was followed by the aforementioned Home, and segued into Nanjiani’s first podcast interview with Glen Morgan, who cowrote the episode. They discussed the controversial storyline, which included murder, incest and a quadruple amputee mother living under a bed, and how it made it through Fox’s standards and practices department. Morgan also discussed the use of a cover of Johnny Mathis’s hit Wonderful! Wonderful! during key scenes and casually mentioned that his mother was a Mathis fan. Without missing a beat, Nanjiani asked him: “Was this [episode] a tribute to your mother?”
After every two episodes, patrons grabbed drinks and snacks, which included Mulder burgers and Scully sausages on the theater’s back patio. The second screening block featured The Unnatural, an alien- and baseball-themed episode written and directed by Duchovny; and Clyde Bruckman’s final repose, which focused on a reluctant psychic (played by Peter Boyle). A discussion with Darin Morgan, Glen’s brother and writer of the latter episode, followed.
Nanjiani’s final picks were the Speed-inspired Drive, written by Gilligan and guest starring Bryan Cranston, and a highly stylized, black-and-white Frankenstein-meets-Mask episode, The Post-Modern Prometheus, written and directed by series creator Chris Carter. Carter also stopped by for a podcast segment and audience Q&A and elicited one of the few unhappy audience responses of the day when he hinted that episode six of the new series “will make you wonder ... there’s a very big cliff”.
By the end of the night, the crowd was primed to see what they thought would be the first new episode. Instead, they were shown the third episode, Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster, written and directed by Darin Morgan and featuring Nanjiani in a pivotal role. The host was definitely stressed about striking out on screen in front of the well-informed crowd. About 15 minutes into the evening’s pièce de résistance, the file stalled. As a Mac computer beach ball of death spun on screen, an anxious Nanjiani half-joked from his seat: “What the fuck are you people doing?!”
While the technical issue was being addressed, Nanjiani stalled by doing nearly 20 minutes of impromptu comedy and an X-files show-and-tell, with the help of his wife, Emily V Gordon, a writer and comedy producer. “[The technical hiccup] was less than ideal,” a tired Nanjiani said at the end of a long night. “But when it started up, I think people were back into it.”
Outside the theater at around 10.30pm, a few attendees milled about, including a decidedly punchy Floyd. After spending more than 27 hours at the theater, he was finally headed home. When asked if he enjoyed the marathon and the last episode, he wasn’t quite as enthusiastic as he had been 12 hours earlier. “The new episode went off the rails a little bit, for me. It was funny, but it was a little too jokey with the subject matter. And I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of it, which I assume grounds itself in the reality of the series a little bit more.”

Even though it was nowhere near as good as it once was towards the end I'm still quite looking forward to this, definitely one of my favourite shows growing up.

Even though it was nowhere near as good as it once was towards the end I'm still quite looking forward to this, definitely one of my favourite shows growing up.

The Tooms character still creeps me out.

I'm not holding out much hope for it at all to be honest. Just a payday, surely?

Ice I think it was called. Total rip off of The Thing like.

It was and I thought that at the time but liked it probably because I love that film as well. It was one of the first TV series I can remember where the production values, if that's the right phrase, were comparable with Hollywood films, as opposed to seeming a bit cheap and nasty by comparison.

Started catastrophe.

Only a couple of episodes in but I like it because the bloke's a very reasonable, supportive and nice man while the woman is irrational, incapable and demanding.

Makes a change from the bumbling dads and long suffering wives on TV.

More true to life.

It's always sunny :lol:

latest episode is an 80s movies ripoff

Thought the first two were iffy but this was class. Loved the joke about the PA in the cabin.

"Wait, why is that guy talking about us over the loudspeaker?"

"Well, because we're the most important thing going on at the resort right now"

Deutschland 83, predictably enough. Enjoying it so far. I saw one review talk about how it plays to the cheap seats, and I suppose that's true, but then an accurately grim portrayal of the times wouldn't be much fun to watch.