World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

Stevie's back on the piss then!

In other news, the FA chairman "quits" in protest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9256772.stm

Aye and I stand by everything I said minus a few swear words, especially the bit about English football considering their options. I'm just reading Ken Bates comments and he's basically saying everything I said to people yesterday we should make our own association.

He said: "When it was announced, we hooted with laughter and derision. We are totally unimpressed. I am of the opinion that the big European nations should resign from FIFA and start their own organisation.

"Let them get on with it. It is a case of the tail wagging the dog.

"We have little Jack Warner (FIFA vice-president and member of the executive committee that decided on the World Cup host) standing in the corner, Oceania, the Caribbean, and the oil states. All that happens is they keep giving the votes to (Sepp) Blatter so he stays in power.

"If they didn't have Spain, France, Germany and the United Kingdom, there wouldn't be a FIFA. There wouldn't be a UEFA for that matter. The whole of FIFA could then move to Moscow and live in retirement in a nice dacha in the woods surrounding the Russian capital.

"FIFA is a waste of space. It is a money-making organisation and I don't think they give a damn about football.

"I am seriously unhappy and, at the same time, contemptuous. None of the television companies should bid for the TV rights for 2018 or (they should) put in a derisory bid.

"The fact of the matter is we have the best stadiums and the best infrastructure. If you think of the disaster of the Champions League final in Moscow a couple of years ago when people were being billeted 100 miles away, it is a joke."

As for Anson's belief that the bidding process should be changed to give more countries a say in where a World Cup is hosted, Bates added: "If everyone had a vote there would be more people and countries to allegedly bribe. Should the Bahamas have the same vote as England? Should Andorra have the same as Germany?

"No, it is rubbish. We should form an elite association of countries. They are a two-bob organisation above any law and should be treated with the contempt they deserve."

Bates was equally scathing in his assessment of the news that Qatar had been handed the 2022 World Cup ahead of other bidders that included Australia, the United States and Japan.

The Leeds chairman said: "As for Qatar, how are they going to develop football when Australia, who have all the stadia and put on a tremendous Olympics, would have put on a great show?"

England secured just two of the 22 FIFA members' votes and were knocked out in the first round while Russia went on to triumph and England bid chief Anson revealed that FIFA president Blatter had spoken to the members of the "evils of the media" just before they voted – and some have blamed BBC Panorama and Sunday Times investigations for a backlash against England.

He also said that countries such as England were hampered by the need to maintain "straight, ethical" standards, with the implication that some rivals were free to exploit grey areas in the bidding process.

Asked if he would advise England to bid again Anson said: "I would say right now 'don't bother until you know that the process is going to change to allow bids like ours a chance to win'.

"When you have the best technical bid, fantastic inspection visits, the best economic report, and from what people told us the best presentation it's quite hard to stomach that seemed to count for absolutely nothing.

"Having only 22 guys voting gives them too much influence. With so much power it becomes very, very difficult.

"FIFA need to look at it – it makes it very easy for formidable competitors like Russia and Qatar to gain influence."

Anson added: "If you look at bids like ours, Australia and USA we are clearly accountable, we have to do things in a straight ethical way.

"I don't know what else happened but clearly Qatar and Russia are formidable competitors."

Anson also criticised FIFA for holding the 2018 and 2022 bid processes simultaneously because it promoted vote-trading. He said: "Running two bids together was clearly a huge mistake."

"If they didn't have Spain, France, Germany and the United Kingdom, there wouldn't be a FIFA"

So true. La Liga and the Premiership together probably generate more money than all of the other leagues together in the world. We're strong enough to break away.

"As for Qatar, how are they going to develop football when Australia, who have all the stadia and put on a tremendous Olympics, would have put on a great show?"

Exactly read that ATP. There's not even a comeback to it. The only football left in Qatar after the world cup will be foreign immigrants from South Asia having kick arounds in car parks.

"If everyone had a vote there would be more people and countries to allegedly bribe. Should the Bahamas have the same vote as England? Should Andorra have the same as Germany?"

Bates isn't Mr Popular but he's so right on every point, how can a banana state with an umpa lumpa carrying a melon on their flag be one of the 22 votes to decide who gets the most important competition in life?????

I don't really disagree with you Stevie, I was more having a chuckle at your mild mannered way of saying it :lol:

Bates isn't the only one saying we should fuck FIFA off either.

Viv Anderson , quoted from the BBC article above

England 2018 bid ambassador Viv Anderson described the World Cup bidding procedure as a "joke" on Friday.

"How can 23 people have so much power," Anderson told BBC Radio 5 live. "It's an old boy's club. We should form a splinter group and try and break up that boy's club up.

"If the criteria is new markets then let them - Russia and Qatar - have it but don't let us spend £15m and don't get anywhere near it."

Sadly, I doubt Spain, France, Italy etc would entertain a breakaway.

I just got done saying that Qatar had nothing 12 years ago and was a desert 24 years ago. They're building cities? Of course they're building cities, they have a country that's essentially a blank slate and unlimited money. They have something imaginatively named Education City now, which is just a built-from-the-ground-up nexus for all the divisions of various universities around the world that build their outposts in Qatar.

This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground. Not where I would've chosen to have the first Middle Eastern world cup, but there's many worse choices.

The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies. People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons. Australia probably would've been a good pick but the time zone issue will have cost them. Nevertheless I expect they'll get it at some point in the future and I wish them well, it'll do the world some good for Australia to have the world cup, just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it.

You're a fuckin idiot. Do one. This post to me is like what the Satanic Verses was to your parents. You ignorant cunt.

I hate it when you sit on the fence Stevie. :lol::icon_lol:

Anyone know what the Spanish press' take it on it all? Not sure why they wanted a joint bid with Portugal. As World Champions, European Champions, and the home of the best club team most of us have seen you would have thought they also had a strong bid.

Anyone know what the Spanish press' take it on it all? Not sure why they wanted a joint bid with Portugal. As World Champions, European Champions, and the home of the best club team most of us have seen you would have thought they also had a strong bid.

Maybe if we bid again we should make it a British bid. All we'd need would be Hampden, Murrayfield and Millennium Stadium and we'd have the rest.

Think I read somewhere that platini voted for Russia and Qatar, supposedly we've scrapped this friendly with thailand and all the training we do in Trinidad and tobago and using that money for grass roots football.

I just got done saying that Qatar had nothing 12 years ago and was a desert 24 years ago. They're building cities? Of course they're building cities, they have a country that's essentially a blank slate and unlimited money. They have something imaginatively named Education City now, which is just a built-from-the-ground-up nexus for all the divisions of various universities around the world that build their outposts in Qatar.

This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground. Not where I would've chosen to have the first Middle Eastern world cup, but there's many worse choices.

The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies. People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons. Australia probably would've been a good pick but the time zone issue will have cost them. Nevertheless I expect they'll get it at some point in the future and I wish them well, it'll do the world some good for Australia to have the world cup, just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it.

Conveniently ignored the human aspect here haven't you?

Who wants to stay in that state longer than a day, unless it's a stopover on a journey?

Arab countries are shit regarding sport and in particular football and most aspects of life overall. I couldn't give a shit about their urban development, no one cares. No one cares for their infrastructure, nor their stadiums which they'll dismantle afterwards, nor their hospitality. Couldn't they have done all this without being awarded the WC?

I've not heard one person make a positive comment about this. Fucking ESPN, Sky, CNN, BBC, you name it. The most dreaded WC to be held in history this is.

I've seen it on the telly, Arab football, and I feel sorry for the world that they will have to endure this kind of shit in 2022.

Education City, eh? :lol:

Conveniently ignored the human aspect here haven't you?

Who wants to stay in that state longer than a day, unless it's a stopover on a journey?

Arab countries are shit regarding sport and in particular football and most aspects of life overall. I couldn't give a shit about their urban development, no one cares. No one cares for their infrastructure, nor their stadiums which they'll dismantle afterwards, nor their hospitality. Couldn't they have done all this without being awarded the WC?

I've not heard one person make a positive comment about this. Fucking ESPN, Sky, CNN, BBC, you name it. The most dreaded WC to be held in history this is.

I've seen it on the telly, Arab football, and I feel sorry for the world that they will have to endure this kind of shit in 2022.

Education City, eh? :lol:

Nail on the head pal, Qatar is just a prefabbed shithole in the middle of a desert totally soulless place same as dubai.

You're a fuckin idiot. Do one. This post to me is like what the Satanic Verses was to your parents. You ignorant cunt.

Better an ignorant cunt than a drunk one, you utter, utter wanker. Have a good look at yourself when you wake up tomorrow lad. :icon_lol:

Right I've had a good look at myself, my green eyes are a bit red, but you are still an idiot. I'm all for people having opinions but yours is ridiculous. You're sat in America with no concept of the world game saying what a good thing it is for this non-event country to host a World Cup.

"The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies."

You must be taking the piss? What about the fans and players who have to play in a climate more suitable for camels than professional athletes? That is ignorant.

"People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons."

Remind me the last time a Middle Eastern country made it to the World Cup Quarter Finals, and regularly gets out of the group in the finals. America's biggest participation sport in terms of kids is football up to the age of 18, and eventually it will grow to rival the other yank sports. They have a history of producing top players now, and they have a league which far outstrips anything in the middle east. I ask you again tell me the last time a middle East country had a good World Cup. The best WC I remember a middle east country having was Egypt in 1990 and I think they scored one goal. Football culture my arse.

"just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it"

How?????????? How?? Explain this ridiculous remark.

"This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground."

and? I don't actually think you have a point, "yeah it's a good thing them getting it", why???? Just be honest to say it's because a muslim country has it. Like I say Egypt aye, Turkey aye, a country no cunt can point to on the map cos a. it's too small and b. no cunt knows where it is anyway. Mate do one.

Firstly, you're a racist tosser and you've never been anything but and everyone knows it. I just want that on the record. The admins on this board may consistently turn a blind eye to your ways but that doesn't change the reality that you have on this occasion and so many others displayed your racist tendencies.

Now to actually address your post. I don't give a shit about whether or not it's a Muslim country, but thanks for your totally baseless insinuations. I care because it will be held in the Middle East and I think the "world game" and indeed the world could do with that. You agree that it's a good idea to have the WC in a Middle Eastern country and you suggest Egypt and Turkey as alternatives. Well, Egypt got exactly zero votes for the 2006 World Cup and there's a reason for that. Of course the football culture there is very strong (I don't know what Ken is talking about - he must be referring to Persian Gulf football specifically when he talks about Middle Eastern football) but the infrastructure isn't and the place is obscenely corrupt. Nobody would be happier than me to have the WC in Egypt, but it just isn't a good host at this stage (and the heat that you and others keep complaining about is no better in Egypt, take it from me.)

As for Turkey, they aren't even really in the Middle East geographically and are only considered by some to be Middle Eastern because of cultural links. They play in the European federation and they want to join the EU. How are they supposed to represent the Middle East? Turkey would be a fantastic place to hold the World Cup, in my opinion, but they don't suit our purposes.

Is there any other country you think would be more suitable to represent the Middle East? Maybe Saudi? I think they've got enough people to meet your standards? No? Well, the UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait are all extremely similar to Qatar which you take issue with, Oman is stuck in 1950, and Yemen is a war-torn shithole. So, I guess the Gulf is out. Lebanon's a little too small and poor, Jordan is so undeveloped that it may as well not exist except for Amman...maybe Syria? Iraq? Iran? All sounding like terrible choices?

So I guess it's Qatar then. Or we could have it in Israel? :lol:

Now let's talk about why Qatar should have beat the USA. A climate more suitable for camels? How hot do you think it was in Pasadena in '94 in the so-vaunted country you wanted the WC sent back to? Climate really isn't an issue here, I'm sick of hearing about it, a major part of Qatar's presentation was about how they would mitigate the effects of the heat. If you think they don't have the money and desire to make that happen, you're just dead wrong, so I don't know what to tell you.

You make a big deal out of me living here, all right, well let me tell you that football in this country is a sideshow and always has been and always will be. It's on the rise among young people, and that's good. But to say they merit the World Cup AGAIN is just outright wrong. It took Brazil (don't think anyone will argue they don't have a "football culture") 64 years to get it again and England is still waiting. Those are just two examples. As for your remark about the quarter finals, the USA only made it that far when it was held in America. South Korea made it to the semis when it was held there. Does that mean that since the USA are more deserving of the WC than Qatar because their national side is better, then South Korea are more deserving of it than the USA? Ludicrous.

Football is THE sport in Qatar, the same as it's THE sport in the rest of the Middle East. Just because they aren't any good at it doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered a legitimate staging ground for the World Cup of the world game.

They don't want Jews or homosexuals in their country ffs, they restrict womens rights and they dont allow any alcohol consumption how is that a fair and equal place to hold a world cup?

You can't just give it to a country for the sake of giving them it, it's been backhanders and dodgy dealing that's how they have it they do not have it on merit. Australia hasn't held a world cup either and have had a much larger impact on the world game the country is smaller than greater Manchester ffs they've done nothing for football history, they've not even qualified for a world cup and never will until they get their automatic spot due to being hosts. If there are no better host possibilities in the region then you can't just give it to them on default because you want one there, it's just been gained through money into Fifa rep's pockets not merit.

Its the same mentality that means Formula 1 threatens to leave historic and brilliant tracks like Belgium and Silverstone for soulless, opulent edifaces to tedium like Sinapore, Shanghai and Bahrain.

Yup. These fucking ratarse countries need to leave our twee pursuits alone. :lol::icon_lol:

Its the same mentality that means Formula 1 threatens to leave historic and brilliant tracks like Belgium and Silverstone for soulless, opulent edifaces to tedium like Sinapore, Shanghai and Bahrain.

Yup. These fucking ratarse countries need to leave our twee pursuits alone. :lol::icon_lol:

All places like Qatar, Dubai, Singapore etc. do is buy their history and make shallow playgrounds for vain rich men with shedloads of cash and a brash, hollow taste.

Maybe it is just me, but I like places with rough corners and sub-cultures that don't lob money to bring in the Black Eyed Peas for some gig sponsored by Apple or Coca Cola.

Spot on. The new track at Abu Dhabi cost untold billions but is completely anodyne. The race before that was at Interlagos, a historic circuit that has buildings crumbling to dust in the middle of a crime hot-spot, but always produces exciting racing.

Now to actually address your post. I don't give a shit about whether or not it's a Muslim country, but thanks for your totally baseless insinuations. I care because it will be held in the Middle East and I think the "world game" and indeed the world could do with that. You agree that it's a good idea to have the WC in a Middle Eastern country and you suggest Egypt and Turkey as alternatives. Well, Egypt got exactly zero votes for the 2006 World Cup and there's a reason for that. Of course the football culture there is very strong (I don't know what Ken is talking about - he must be referring to Persian Gulf football specifically when he talks about Middle Eastern football) but the infrastructure isn't and the place is obscenely corrupt. Nobody would be happier than me to have the WC in Egypt, but it just isn't a good host at this stage (and the heat that you and others keep complaining about is no better in Egypt, take it from me.)

As for Turkey, they aren't even really in the Middle East geographically and are only considered by some to be Middle Eastern because of cultural links. They play in the European federation and they want to join the EU. How are they supposed to represent the Middle East? Turkey would be a fantastic place to hold the World Cup, in my opinion, but they don't suit our purposes.

Is there any other country you think would be more suitable to represent the Middle East? Maybe Saudi? I think they've got enough people to meet your standards? No? Well, the UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait are all extremely similar to Qatar which you take issue with, Oman is stuck in 1950, and Yemen is a war-torn shithole. So, I guess the Gulf is out. Lebanon's a little too small and poor, Jordan is so undeveloped that it may as well not exist except for Amman...maybe Syria? Iraq? Iran? All sounding like terrible choices?

So I guess it's Qatar then. Or we could have it in Israel? :lol:

Now let's talk about why Qatar should have beat the USA. A climate more suitable for camels? How hot do you think it was in Pasadena in '94 in the so-vaunted country you wanted the WC sent back to? Climate really isn't an issue here, I'm sick of hearing about it, a major part of Qatar's presentation was about how they would mitigate the effects of the heat. If you think they don't have the money and desire to make that happen, you're just dead wrong, so I don't know what to tell you.

You make a big deal out of me living here, all right, well let me tell you that football in this country is a sideshow and always has been and always will be. It's on the rise among young people, and that's good. But to say they merit the World Cup AGAIN is just outright wrong. It took Brazil (don't think anyone will argue they don't have a "football culture") 64 years to get it again and England is still waiting. Those are just two examples. As for your remark about the quarter finals, the USA only made it that far when it was held in America. South Korea made it to the semis when it was held there. Does that mean that since the USA are more deserving of the WC than Qatar because their national side is better, then South Korea are more deserving of it than the USA? Ludicrous.

Football is THE sport in Qatar, the same as it's THE sport in the rest of the Middle East. Just because they aren't any good at it doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered a legitimate staging ground for the World Cup of the world game.

You act as though there is some sort of entitlement to have it in the Middle East. Why? Firstly it makes scarce sense to live in the desert let alone host a World Cup there in the middle of a scorching summer. Without the oil and natural resources of the area they would not have even had a look in at hosting the World Cup, you can't deny that. Ergo, the decision was made based on natural resrouces and had nothing to do with football.

Egypt is in Africa, but who cares this is the World Cup, not the Middle Eastern Cup, or the African Cup or the European Cup. If you were deciding where to host the event the criteria needs to be spelt out. There is no comparison between the Qatar bid and that of America or Australia, or even Korea. Simple logic should have ruled it out at the first hurdle. Playing soccer in the middle of a desert does not make sense. Put it indoors and make the ticket prices inaccessable to locals and why does it matter that it's in the Middle East? Answer - It doesn't! So again why have it there? A World Cup in Australia or Asia opens up the timings to the lucrative and booming Asian market which emcompasses the majority of the World's population (China 1.3b, India 1.1b, Indonesi 240m, Bangladesh 160b etc) numbers which obviously dwarf those of the Middle Eest where the largest population is Iran with 71m (Turkey which you ruled out of the Middle East has 73m, Egypt 77m), after theat Iraq is the next biggest with 31m. As a reminder Qatar has 1.6m, a small percentage of which are actually Qatari.

...and don't get me started on their 'carbon neutral' stadiums. How carbon neutral is a stadium that was built on money from oil? They're having a laugh. On top of that how carbon neutral is actually building a stadium for no pupose other than to host an event that could easily have been hosted elsewhere where the stadiums already exist and actually serve an ongoing purpose? Qhat about the envrionmental and financial cost of shipping in the materials and migrant workers to put it together? Then the cost of disassembling it, shipping it elsewhere and putting it back together! Carbon neutral my fucking arse.

Firstly it makes scarce sense to live in the desert let alone host a World Cup there in the middle of a scorching summer.

They reckon they've solved that and they're apparently asking Fifa if it can be held in January as although the stadiums will be indoor they weren't as sure how to make a load of training facilities. What a fucking joke it just becomes more and more pathetic with every passing day. There's still not been any one that's defending the stupid bid mention the anti-Semitic and homophobic AND sexist laws that stand in that place.

You act as though there is some sort of entitlement to have it in the Middle East. Why? Firstly it makes scarce sense to live in the desert let alone host a World Cup there in the middle of a scorching summer. Without the oil and natural resources of the area they would not have even had a look in at hosting the World Cup, you can't deny that. Ergo, the decision was made based on natural resrouces and had nothing to do with football.

Every region in the world plays football, therefore every region in the world should be represented in the World Cup. Whether or not you think it makes 'sense' for people to live in the desert, people have been living there since the dawn of civilisation and for you to say that they don't deserve to host the World Cup - based on what? That they aren't part of the world football community? Who gets to decide that? You? - makes me wonder whether you've got a nosebleed from looking down on them from so high up. Take that cultural imperialism somewhere else - this is football and everyone gets to play. How do you expect me to believe it's a World Cup if it only gets passed between 3 continents? Or better yet, if it goes 'round to everyone...except the Middle East.

It may be hot and sparsely populated in the Middle East, but surprisingly, people play football there anyway. That's why it's the world game and the World Cup. Australia should and will get their chance, but they deserve it no more than the Middle East, sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and everywhere on this earth where football is played.

...for you to say that they don't deserve to host the World Cup - based on what? That they aren't part of the world football community? Who gets to decide that? You? - makes me wonder whether you've got a nosebleed from looking down on them from so high up.

Where did I say that?

Straight out of the LeazesMag school of argumentation TBH.

It's always been my point that money should be spent on developing the game in places that don't have the existing infrastructure and resources in place.

Edited by OzToonFan

...for you to say that they don't deserve to host the World Cup - based on what? That they aren't part of the world football community? Who gets to decide that? You? - makes me wonder whether you've got a nosebleed from looking down on them from so high up.

Where did I say that?

Straight out of the LeazesMag school of argumentation TBH.

They don't though!! they have laws against Jews, homosexuals and women how can fifa endorse that? I know I'm banging on about it but acrossthepond doesn't have one single defense to that point.

Nope nothing to say about it, thought not. It's a disgrace a country so intolerant has won this bid how can you say they're worthy of holding a spectacle of football where other races and religions are represented yet they are completely intolerant of a lot of them. it'd have been just as much a 1st if it went to Australia as it is putting it in Qatar, I hope you're on the wind up and not serious btw.

Edited by Barton7

They don't though!! they have laws against Jews, homosexuals and women how can fifa endorse that? I know I'm banging on about it but acrossthepond doesn't have one single defense to that point.

Nope nothing to say about it, thought not. It's a disgrace a country so intolerant has won this bid how can you say they're worthy of holding a spectacle of football where other races and religions are represented yet they are completely intolerant of a lot of them. it'd have been just as much a 1st if it went to Australia as it is putting it in Qatar, I hope you're on the wind up and not serious btw.

The 'point' is meaningless. Is this the UN or the World Cup? Would you like me to fetch you a list of countries that've hosted the World Cup and their human rights violations? Colombia was slated to host the '86 World Cup, do you think that means FIFA was endorsing the cocaine trade? South Africa is notorious for crime, rape and human trafficking, does that mean that FIFA was endorsing those things? Football is football is football. This is supposed to be the game that brings everyone together.

@Oz: Don't try to play semantics with me. You've been arguing this entire time that Qatar doesn't deserve to host the World Cup, even if you never typed out that exact sentence. Obviously you think someone else deserves it more or you wouldn't be kicking up a fuss in the first place.

I think everyone on here is just raging at the plain fact that england didn't get the world cup... :lol::icon_lol:

'ello mate, me old prince will and becks is going to get us the bid, olrite.

well done becks, official face of the england bid :razz:

I think everyone on here is just raging at the plain fact that england didn't get the world cup... :lol::icon_lol:

'ello mate, me old prince will and becks is going to get us the bid, olrite.

well done becks, official face of the england bid :razz:

:razz: