Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

On 17/08/2017 at 6:04 PM, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Been rewatching Twin Peaks before digging into the new one and was really surprised at how strong Season 1 is, even when you know where everything is heading. Season 2 definitely drops from the first episode but is still good but there's really no way to describe just how fucking shite it gets halfway through. I remembered it being bad but, since the new season apparently references some of that shite, I'm going to have to power through.

Still, Lara Flynn Boyle used to be absolutely fucking lush and that helps.

Fired through my rewatch and found myself enjoying Season 2 more than I did the first time around, especially as the later episodes do contain a fair bit of info about The Black Lodge going into the movie and the new season. I still love the movie, like, once the baffling first 30 minutes are out of the way.

As for the new season, I'm about 6 episodes in and enjoying it though I am

missing Cooper being Cooper instead of this brain dead whatever the fuck it is he's doing now

18 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Fired through my rewatch and found myself enjoying Season 2 more than I did the first time around, especially as the later episodes do contain a fair bit of info about The Black Lodge going into the movie and the new season. I still love the movie, like, once the baffling first 30 minutes are out of the way.

As for the new season, I'm about 6 episodes in and enjoying it though I am

Hide contents

missing Cooper being Cooper instead of this brain dead whatever the fuck it is he's doing now

Aye that's my least favourite part of the new season too.  Still can't quite get used to new format of having a band and the end.  It's reminding me too much of the Young Ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Twin Peaks certainly had a finale, didn't it? Really enjoyed the season all in all even though [spoilers]they introduced a ton of plot points that, seemingly, had no bearing on the final story, even on a thematic level. Was Audrey in a mental asylum or what?[/spoiler]. I reckon you could probably read the last episode as them attempting to get Season 4, whether or not it'll work is another question.

Kyle Machlachlan deserves all the awards for his performance(s) though. Spectacular stuff

5 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Twin Peaks certainly had a finale, didn't it? Really enjoyed the season all in all even though [spoilers]they introduced a ton of plot points that, seemingly, had no bearing on the final story, even on a thematic level. Was Audrey in a mental asylum or what?[/spoiler]. I reckon you could probably read the last episode as them attempting to get Season 4, whether or not it'll work is another question.

Kyle Machlachlan deserves all the awards for his performance(s) though. Spectacular stuff

It was never less than amazing even if yet again Lynch gives no answers again and in fact makes it less sense than the second season. I literally have no clue what happened in the end or through most of the season. Glad to see that Sherylin Fenn hasn't aged as bad it first appeared, especially given how good Madchen Amick still looks (and Peggy Lipton considering her age). 

Some of it didn't work but it's always interesting. 

Just finished this fantastic black & white, 42 minute documentary on the region back when Harvey and Moncur was ever so popular.

As the Cold War bristles with menace in the 60s, the youth at Kielder Workman’s Club celebrate free time with an American dance called the ‘Twist’. But it’s the Faustian pact with industry this brilliant travelogue focuses on first as it maps the path of the River Tyne. The sounds of heavy machinery and graft pitch us into Newcastle’s shipyards and collieries, whilst drugs spin off a machine called Bliss in Winthrop Laboratories’ production-slick war against pain.

Between 1962 and 1963 Tyne Tees Television broadcast superb documentaries on the rivers and coastline of the North East in a series called Your Heritage. This programme was the first part of a trilogy on the regional rivers, Tyne, Wear and Tees, accompanied by a playful, informative and occasionally pithy narrative, here spoken by cigarette-puffing presenter Mike Neville. Sprinkled with allusions to the Tyne’s polluted waters and to Cold War politics – the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred in October 1962 and this travelogue was broadcast two months later, on 6 December 1962 – the picture is not always pretty, but it is beautifully composed.

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/your-heritage-river-tyne

• 3 weeks later...

Binge'd The Sinner last week over a couple of nights.  Hadn't even heard of it but was very impressed.

You'll likely know in the first episode if it's for you.

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

New series of curb your enthusiasm started today, after a break of 6 years.

Was canny enough. Where is HF nowadays anyway?

Looking forward this for a long time, now considering holding off and watching it all at once.

1 hour ago, Ant said:

aye last chance u is decent, but fuck me those lads are hard to make out at times

pretty good, preeeeeeeeeety good

I had to have subtitles on a lot of the time. Worse accent than yours. :razz: