Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

On 13/12/2022 at 23:51, Renton said:

:lol:

Hadaway and shite man. It was entertaining enough but had the depth of coronation street. I was hoping for some kind of twist that never came. 

To come out with this nonsense the year that the finale of Better Call Saul came out is quite something. 👍

Does anything happen in Better Call Saul after the 7 episodes of total nothing in the first season? Genuine question btw. I like a slow burn that had barely ignited when I gave it a go 

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

That’s the beauty of it. It’s uncompromisingly slow. Makes the big dramatic moments all the more exhilarating when they drop. Happens to be the best looking TV series since, well, Breaking Bad. Also has a properly climactic final season like Breaking Bad too

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've just finished the Handmaid's Tale - watched seasons to 5 in a bit of a binge. Absolutely class show. 

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons of that. Also studied the book at A-level. I really enjoyed it to begin with, if “enjoyed” is the right word, but I had to stop around season 3-4. A jolly watch it ain’t. The bleak dystopia wore me down in the end   

I wake up between 4 and 5 every day, and it's a show my lass peaced out on cos she couldn't cope with how bleak it was. 

I, on the other hand, am hot for a bit of female subjugation first thing in the morning. 

You should go back and finish it though, it's really good. 

• Haha 3

I was gonna ask if the series followed the books - I had it in my head that the series has a bunch of additional stuff to bring it to a conclusion, but I'm probably wrong. 

I'd ask detailed questions but I don't want to be the spoiler kid. 

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I was gonna ask if the series followed the books - I had it in my head that the series has a bunch of additional stuff to bring it to a conclusion, but I'm probably wrong. 

I'd ask detailed questions but I don't want to be the spoiler kid. 

the first season or two followed the first book

but then it went off in its own direction. I dunno if the later seasons follow the testaments (a sequel written about 30 years after the original) or not. 

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Does anything happen in Better Call Saul after the 7 episodes of total nothing in the first season? Genuine question btw. I like a slow burn that had barely ignited when I gave it a go 

I've watched it twice. Enjoyed it more the second time, as I did for BB, because I understood the connections and motivations of the central characters so much more, and started noticing the detail. As Gloom says it's beautifully shot and the attention to detail is insane. For me thesde series are by far the best things that have ever been on television which is actually a bit of a problem, because nothing else matches them. 

You say you're 7 episodes in to S1 which means you must have seen episode 5 (Five-O). If that didn't float your boat I'd definitely jack it in as its not for you. 

So here’s five shows I recommend a watch that you may have missed. Might help fill in Christmas)

The playlist

Messiah

Wild

McDonald and Dodds

The outsider

As an extra I’ll add Dark. 
It’s frustrating at times, very complicated and lots of long German silences. However it is a very clever time travel story that has a good first 2 seasons, 3 struggles a bit but a nice climax.

The Outsider and The Playlist, I might watch. 

Messiah was cancelled without a proper ending after one season. :lol:

I can't even find a show called Wild. :lol:

And Mcdonald and Dodds.... 

Screenshot_20221215_110915_Google.thumb.jpg.5b6fb11aa52ebfe4565fb692fc5dc3cd.jpg

.... Absolutely not. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20221215_110915_Google.thumb.jpg.5b6fb11aa52ebfe4565fb692fc5dc3cd.jpg

.... Absolutely not. 

Absolutely! Was bollocks. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

.... Absolutely not. 

Wild is true story about a single woman completing the 1100 mile Pacific Crest Trail. It’s very good. Braver than me :lol: 

(Also it’s a film).

McDonald and Dodds is like a better version of Vera. It doesn’t all have to be American.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Wild is true story about a single woman completing the 1100 mile Pacific Crest Trail. It’s very good. Braver than me :lol: 

(Also it’s a film).

McDonald and Dodds is like a better version of Vera. It doesn’t all have to be American.

Aye OK, Wild is decent. Mostly cos Witherspoon is in it. 

Have you watched Into The Wild? You might like that too. 

A better version of Vera btw. :lol: STOP TALKING! 

• Haha 2

At least with Vera you can can go "Eeeeh, that's in such a such" etc. Or spot incongruity between settings, like when Super Gran threw a shot put from Tynemouth haven to Seaton Sluice. Mind, you have to put up with Brenda Blethyn. Personally can't stand detective stories like this, but unfortunately Mrs Rents does, and obviously quite a few others given the market saturation of them. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

I've watched it twice. Enjoyed it more the second time, as I did for BB, because I understood the connections and motivations of the central characters so much more, and started noticing the detail. As Gloom says it's beautifully shot and the attention to detail is insane. For me thesde series are by far the best things that have ever been on television which is actually a bit of a problem, because nothing else matches them. 

You say you're 7 episodes in to S1 which means you must have seen episode 5 (Five-O). If that didn't float your boat I'd definitely jack it in as its not for you. 

I was watching it week to week when it first came out and could not believe how boring it was. Mind, that shit film they did for Netflix made me feel the same way tbh so maybe it isn’t for me