Tooj

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

looks like he could be about to be cancelled, not that i think he gives much of a shit as he's pretty much retreated from the public eye the past decade or so. 

but if you look past the headline, there isn't anything that offensive about what he's said - he's basically applauding female pundits and players, but argues that they can;t offer as much insight into the men's game because they haven't experienced what it's like to play the men's game, so aren't as well placed as the men to comment on how it feels to play for england etc in that environment. i mean, that is demonstrably true. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

looks like he could be about to be cancelled, not that i think he gives much of a shit as he's pretty much retreated from the public eye the past decade or so. 

but if you look past the headline, there isn't anything that offensive about what he's said - he's basically applauding female pundits and players, but argues that they can;t offer as much insight into the men's game because they haven't experienced what it's like to play the men's game, so aren't as well placed as the men to comment on how it feels to play for england etc in that environment. i mean, that is demonstrably true. 

Aye. Its like getting a non-league player to comment on PL games. Sure, they can give insight but im sure its not the same as experiencing top level football.

Doesn’t feel like a cross worth dying on, mind. When you live in a world where Michael Owen, Rio Ferdinand and Paul Merson get loads of airtime I can’t say lasses talking about the lads game bothers me. The other thing is you should realise that even a fairly harmless comment about it will be blown out of all proportion and overtake any other points you were trying to make 

• Like 3

Just now, Alex said:

Doesn’t feel like a cross worth dying on, mind. When you live in a world where Michael Owen, Rio Ferdinand and Paul Merson get loads of airtime I can’t say lasses talking about the lads game bothers me. The other thing is you should realise that even a fairly harmless comment about it will be blown out of all proportion and overtake any other points you were trying to make 

Yeah. Its a comment probably best kept to himself.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. Its like getting a non-league player to comment on PL games. Sure, they can give insight but im sure its not the same as experiencing top level football.

Not really very different to an absolute dinosaur talking about it. For me, it’s more a problem having them on just because they’re female. And by that I mean some are really good, others offer very little. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Not really very different to an absolute dinosaur talking about it. For me, it’s more a problem having them on just because they’re female. And by that I mean some are really good, others offer very little. 

yeah, i'm not a fan of quotas. just get the best talent on, male or female 

• Like 3

Not personally going after Keegan for this one although I think he would have been better off stating that anyone who hasn't played professional men's football has no idea what goes into it.

Either way I'm going to blind eye this because I'm biased as fuck.

• Like 3

keegan might have had more of a point if he wasn't such a terrible pundit himself. someone just tweeted some of his best gaffes, which included my personal favourite: "the tide is very much in our court'  :lol:

there are some absolutely terrible male pundits out there. rio ferdinand last night, a prime example. i've been impressed by most of the female pundits  - emma hayes in particular is very astute in her analysis. broadcasters should forget about quotas and just get the good ones on -male or female - and get rid of those stealing a living. i'm looking at you, michael owen 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

He would have got away with it at a talk-in up here. You can't trust the people of Bristol not to run to the papers though.

It’s a place stuck in 2004, I’n surprised it wasn’t greeted with applause :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, i'm not a fan of quotas. just get the best talent on, male or female 

I always find the majority of the lasses on pundit duties have been class. They actually seem to have studied the teams and have a basic understanding of what's going on in front of them. I'll take that over a pair of dimwits like Rio and Owen like.

That said the lass that was commentating the women's world cup was fucking brain-dead.

When Keegan talks about football he’s great imo. Co-commentary gaffes is a different kettle of fish. And he does have a few of them in his locker tbf