Club statement

Gejon

Guest Barrack Road

Three years down the line, you can just see how desperate it will have become. Struggling in the Championship, Andy O'Brien's bosman signing greeted by 600 dole wallers, scruffs and kids outside the ticket office like we've signed Messi :)

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what it is. Within five years Sunderland will be regarded as a bigger club than us, unless something radical happens.

Sadly they are an example of a well run club. Rich backer who provides the funds, chairman who doesn't stick his nose in or embarass his club and their fans and in Bruce a competent manager, not a world beater but good enough.

So far they've actually done badly to have been at risk of relegation twice and 13th this season, but then Keane bought some utter shite with his money, next season what they spend will make our situation look far worse. Depressing stuff.

That means the very best we can hope for with this wanker is years and years of mediocrity. I think most of us knew that already though

We may survive next season simply because there are plenty of other shit teams about, but we wont be any stronger the season after or the season after that. We will consider it a success (or some people will) if we can compete with the likes of Stoke and Bolton in a couple of years time and that is criminal for a club with our level of support.

Three years down the line, you can just see how desperate it will have become. Struggling in the Championship, Andy O'Brien's bosman signing greeted by 600 dole wallers, scruffs and kids outside the ticket office like we've signed Messi :)

*shudders*

Like Parky, I find it impossible to believe there will be no spending on players at all. I think there will be a small rebalancing of the squad, with one or two more leaving (Butt has gone already) and one or two joining.

I think the devil will be in detail. What does "new capital outlay" mean exactly? Is it a sell to buy policy or something else. Does it refer to new capital investment by Ashley or the club? What does "break even" mean - break even in overall results, investment by Ashley or what?

I assume it's meant to dampen speculation about the club in the press and lower expectations of agents and other clubs. It's probably intended to stop agents talking up the prospect of the club buying their players and pushing up transfer fees. And maybe manage expectations in the toon.

However that's the best I can say of this statement. It's a really hamfisted and bungling piece of work, at once confontational and bombastic. It's reminiscent of that "It's a FACT" statement issued re Keegan. Any PR expert would have told you how this would be received and you wonder what idiot is employed as the media officer. It's so bad it must have been written by Llambias himself.

"The Board have set a five year plan to promote core values of credibility...."

I had to laugh at this. They have a 5 year plan to become credible!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle7121306.ece

Newcastle United last night released an extraordinary statement on their official website revealing that Chris Hughton will not be provided with any fresh funds to strengthen his squad this summer.

In a “clear message” to correct being “misrepresented by the national media over the past decade” the newly promoted club signalled their intent to break even within the next five years, continue to promote their academy structure and released details of their financial position.

In an attempt to suppress speculation and, arguably, optimism, before their imminent return to the Barclays Premier League, Newcastle spoke of their £37.7 million loss in 2008-09 and an estimated loss of £32.5 million for the season just ended. They also have an overdraft of £20 million “which is fully committed”. In comments that stretched to well in excess of 1,000 words, Newcastle repeatedly stated that no board member would comment on football matters to the media which, given that Mike Ashley, the owner, and Derek Llambias, his managing director, have never held a press conference, could be regarded as bizarre.

The most pressing matter for most supporters will be the implications for potential transfers, with Newcastle stressing that no significant outlay would be forthcoming. “The first-team squad that won the [Coca-Cola] Championship this year will form the basis of the team for next season in the Premier League,” the statement read. “There is no plan for new capital outlay on players.”

There was an admission that promotion represented “a challenge to all at the club”, and having twice failed to sell Newcastle and spent around £300 million on either buying it, reducing debts or keeping it afloat, Ashley, the sportswear retailer, is not about to sanction a further outlay.

They will focus on “promoting from within”, they said. “The days when players such as Alan Shearer, Steve Bruce, Peter Beardsley and Michael Carrick had to leave Newcastle to begin their illustrious football careers elsewhere are over.”

"Doom mongers" my arse. Plain as the nose on your face this was going to happen and anyone who denied it was living in cloud cuckoo land.

What a pair of utter, utter cockends. Credibility as a 5-year goal? We lost every fucking shred of it the day this fat bastard and his stooge showed up on our doorstep!

Capital Outlay: Payments made in cash or cash equivalents over a period of more than one year. Capital outlays are used to acquire assets or improve the useful life of existing assets. An example of a capital outlay is the funding to construct a factory. In accounting, capital outlays must be capitalized; that is, the outlay is recognized on a balance sheet gradually over the course of asset’s useful life. Capital outlays are recorded as liabilities on a balance sheet. They are also called capital expenditures. See also: Capital asset.

There are no plans for any capital outlay on any new players.

:)

I hate to think how Hughton, Calderwood and 'the gangs of lads' are feeling at the moment.

Probably to busy answering media enquiries to have had a chance to think about the shite they've been dropped in.

Guest Barrack Road

Well I've woken up, I'm hungover, and I still feel bitter about this bastard. All that money and he won't give us a short amount of it to get a few extra quality bodies in key positions. The rumour was as well he wanted to buy the whole toon (in every bar) a drink to celebrate promotion, butthe OB put the block on it, save your money you fuckin twat, and do something useful with it.

This is up there with putting the price of the club up on the web site.

Pathetic that we're such an amateur operation. Top 5 in gates in the entire country and we're run by a bunch of hopeless clowns who continue to amaze and dazzle with the depth and diversity of their incompetence. It's absurd.