What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Cheers mate (and CT and Brock). What I am looking for is admin or bar work as I have most experience is these areas. I'm only 23, and given the current employment climate, I'm going to have to hit the 'career move' on the head for the time being unfortunately as the jobs I'd ideally love to do and am most qualified for (i.e. in publishing) are just completely closed doors at the minute. Call centre work is probably where I'm going to get something :/

Bar work you can get anywhere, especially if you have your basic training certs.

What I found helpful in my job search was going over my CV and just highlighting all the standout qualifications/skills etc in bold. Skim-read it and you'll see your best qualities leaping out.

Also try ringing up the HR departments of places you think you'd like to work one day. I had one or two phone interviews by just phoning up, asking if they had any vacancies coming up and who to send a copy of my CV to. (I wanted to follow up a product development role with Bachelors :lol: but got found by a recruitment agency on reed in the end).

Do a linkedin page as well, you still get employers searching that and it can't hurt to put yourself out there.

Yeah, I just re-wrote my CV last night and I am rather happy with it. Looks quite strong for the jobs I'm applying for at the moment. I agree with you, in fact, I was going to ring up some publication houses just to see if I could get even just a bit of experience there unpaid work which may stand me in good stead in a couple of years when I actually make a genuine concerted move for that career. Trouble is is that publication is notoriously a 'who-you-know' career regarding that first foot in the door. Getting my MA results in about a month in which I'll hopefully get a distinction.

Thanks for your suggestion on linkedin, I'll have a deek at that right now. :)

Good luck with it man.

I am feeling better :) My new phone should be here tomorrow, my new wheels for my bike should be here tomorrow and the weather for this weekends Etape Pennines the west of Durham is looking decent :)

So, this evening I will be training and then rest of the week I am going to build up my new bike ready for it :)

Guest CabayeAye

Yeah, I just re-wrote my CV last night and I am rather happy with it. Looks quite strong for the jobs I'm applying for at the moment. I agree with you, in fact, I was going to ring up some publication houses just to see if I could get even just a bit of experience there unpaid work which may stand me in good stead in a couple of years when I actually make a genuine concerted move for that career. Trouble is is that publication is notoriously a 'who-you-know' career regarding that first foot in the door. Getting my MA results in about a month in which I'll hopefully get a distinction.

Thanks for your suggestion on linkedin, I'll have a deek at that right now. :)

If your CV is strong, don't be aftaid to apply for jobs that are 'out of reach'. Many a gap has been filled by underqualified candidates who are strong at interview.

If your CV is strong, don't be aftaid to apply for jobs that are 'out of reach'. Many a gap has been filled by underqualified candidates who are strong at interview.

Aye I know. It's just last time I was unemployed I think I took a bit of a self-confidence hit after about a year of applying to jobs every day and not even hearing back from the majority :/ . Even the fact that I can acknowledge that doesn't really make me feel that much better about it - it's a bit of a shitter getting the impression every week that you aren't even good enough to be told you didn't get the job. But like i said, in a much stronger position CV-wise this time round. Also had a chinwag with the lad who runs a pub in the Ouseburn tonight and I think..... I THINK... I might have got some bar work sorted. :)

Just need some coin really! Never really had expendable money at hand in my life. Cheers for your support though... and wykikitoon!

Edited by ADP

Aye I know. It's just last time I was unemployed I think I took a bit of a self-confidence hit after about a year of applying to jobs every day and not even hearing back from the majority :/ . Even the fact that I can acknowledge that doesn't really make me feel that much better about it - it's a bit of a shitter getting the impression every week that you aren't even good enough to be told you didn't get the job. But like i said, in a much stronger position CV-wise this time round. Also had a chinwag with the lad who runs a pub in the Ouseburn tonight and I think..... I THINK... I might have got some bar work sorted. :)

Just need some coin really! Never really had expendable money at hand in my life. Cheers for your support though... and wykikitoon!

ADP you have a great attitude mate. You are willing to work and graft, thats what we need more of in this country rather than people thinking certain jobs are beneath them. I know of a lass who did admin stuff, she was well paid for her role at 18k and was made 'redundent' anyways, she hasnt worked for 3 months and turned down a job at 16k because she thinks she is worth more. Shocking. But then, mummy & daddy are no doubt supporting her.

Good luck fella.

Very good mood. Just spent the weekend in harrogate staying at the hotel du vin (rooms great, food shite) was in york on Monday got a call saying i got a new job as a programmer which i wasnt expecting . Also off for the rest of this week. Good times

Job as a programmer you say

taking over all the crap i have to do on here hmmmmm? come on you know you want toyou can be the PFY to my BOFH!

protected void NewJobYouSay()
{
Member Jamouse = new Member();
Jamouse = AntDAL.GetSingleObject(Jamouse.MemberName("Jamouse"));

if (!Jamouse.Employed)
{
Jamouse.Mood = "";

}
else
{
Jamouse.Mood = "";

}

}

Ah man, that was awesome! Used to kill time on my Saturday job reading archives of that. Excuse of the day desk calendar and dummy mode. Great stuff.

Whoa, congratulations! Get up and get on with it - and remember, everybody there wants your day to go class for you, so there's really fuck all to be nervous about. Parrot quote your vows, quick speech and then just be pleasant to people, and you'll be mortal before you know it.

You don't even need to be funny in your speech, although it goes without saying that I was in mine. :razz: I hope you've got some graphs lined up for yours.

I'd be interested in seeing the proportion of NUFC fans married on a weekday versus the weekend with relation to fixtures etc. Obviously you'd want to track that relationship over time and compare to the team's success on the pitch.

Congratulations! Assuming you make it through the day that is ;)

I'd be interested in seeing the proportion of NUFC fans married on a weekday versus the weekend with relation to fixtures etc. Obviously you'd want to track that relationship over time and compare to the team's success on the pitch.

Congratulations! Assuming you make it through the day that is ;)

To be fair to HF, he almost certainly wasnt thinking we'd be in Europe when he booked the date. A Thursday in early October was probably looking a good bet.

Well of course you don't need to get up yet. As above, you literally have to throw on a suit, get to the venue, say a few lines there, quick speech at the reception then you're home and hosed.

Best of luck with the day!