Dan Gosling

BigAl

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think we need another Winger/Centre attacking mid for the injuries we're gonna get, on top of a striker, LB and RB

Really?

Gutierrez and Marveaux can play both left and right wing, as too can Ben Arfa.

Barton, Gosling, Raylor and Guthrie can play RM.

Ferguson can play LM.

I'd say out wide we are pretty strong. Same goes for CM actually...Cabaye, Tiote, Barton, Gosling, Guthrie and Smith :rip:

Midfield is spot on imo.

It is upfront and left back which are the more pressing area's to strengthen followed by RB and CB.

Honestly

Marveaux and Ben Arfa have been out for a long time and I can see them picking up injuries quite a few times this season, but Ben Arfa is more likely to be deployed as a second striker, so once he gets injured, this new 4-5-1 formation that Pardew meant to be playing will fall apart and wont have a natural successor to fill in.

Raylor is a championship player and doesnt even know his own position, Gosling and Guthrie are CM's and having them as RM for a long period will have us weakened significantly, plus Gosling has like Marveaux and Barfa come back from a long injury and I can see him picking up niggles and taking a while to hit form

We need a bit more pace aswell we need depth in all the right places and not nut square pegs in round holes

Fair point.

See how it gets us to January and look at it again then.

Personally i think we have a much stronger midfield than last year and we will be fine. Time will tell. A bit of extra pace wouldnt go a miss but as Routledge proves pace is useless if theres nowt else.

I still think we need another Winger/Centre attacking mid for the injuries we're gonna get, on top of a striker, LB and RB

Really?

Ferguson can play LM.

I'd say out wide we are pretty strong. Same goes for CM actually...Cabaye, Tiote, Barton, Gosling, Guthrie and Smith :rip:

Midfield is spot on imo.

It is upfront and left back which are the more pressing area's to strengthen followed by RB and CB.

Honestly

Marveaux and Ben Arfa have been out for a long time and I can see them picking up injuries quite a few times this season, but Ben Arfa is more likely to be deployed as a second striker, so once he gets injured, this new 4-5-1 formation that Pardew meant to be playing will fall apart and wont have a natural successor to fill in.

Raylor is a championship player and doesnt even know his own position, Gosling and Guthrie are CM's and having them as RM for a long period will have us weakened significantly, plus Gosling has like Marveaux and Barfa come back from a long injury and I can see him picking up niggles and taking a while to hit form

We need a bit more pace aswell we need depth in all the right places and not nut square pegs in round holes

Vuckic, Abied & Gosling with slip into that role. Bear in mind Gosling has played all down the right and at defensive midfield as well as centre midfield - basically he's very versatile so counting him as merely a CM is completely stupid.

Marveaux passed his medical and he's been injured once and I wouldn't say it was 'long term', Ben Arfa only sustained injuries through two red card challenges, I don't understand why either should be a cause for concern.

We have pace up front and pace on the wings. Constant requests for 'pace' just look stupid and posted to fill the gaps.

''Won 6-0, good day!''

''Nah man we need more pace''

Really?

Ferguson can play LM.

I'd say out wide we are pretty strong. Same goes for CM actually...Cabaye, Tiote, Barton, Gosling, Guthrie and Smith :o

Midfield is spot on imo.

Honestly

Vuckic, Abied & Gosling with slip into that role. Bear in mind Gosling has played all down the right and at defensive midfield as well as centre midfield - basically he's very versatile so counting him as merely a CM is completely stupid.

Marveaux passed his medical and he's been injured once and I wouldn't say it was 'long term', Ben Arfa only sustained injuries through two red card challenges, I don't understand why either should be a cause for concern.

We have pace up front and pace on the wings. Constant requests for 'pace' just look stupid and posted to fill the gaps.

''Won 6-0, good day!''

''Nah man we need more pace''

Pretty sure he left Everton to join us because he was getting played everywhere apart from CM, and I know he's versatile but CM is his main position, a bit like Guthrie, yes he can play on the right and DM but playing them there over a number of games will more than likely become a hindrence as they arent natural there, and I honestly dont see Vuckic and Abeid as first team players through injury they may appear on the bench, but counting on them to plug a gap of a quality player may be too much?

I know Marveaux has been injured once recently but to come back from an inury keeping you out for months on end is hard, especially adapting to a new league, i'm not branding him a crock like people are doing with Ba, but he'll need time to settle in along with Ben Arfa, as he's not a rock but he could pick up niggles on the leg he injured or may struggle to get into full Premier league fitness

Apart from Enrique, Jonas, Marveaux, Ben Arfa and Routledge I dont see sheer pace in the team, call me what you want for asking for pace, but I'd rather see a player like Routledge come off the bench than a player like R Taylor to change a game , plus Routledge and Enrique seem to be leaving so that'll leave us with about 3 first team players with pace

It's late but most people don't know what's going on.

Lets hire 11 usian bolts, that's the only way we'll ever be good at football...

We've got a lot of players who could be good.

We don't know how Cabaye and Abeid will adapt. We don't know how Marveaux, Gosling and Ben Arfa will perform after long term injuries. We don't know how the likes of Vuckic might perform after an extended run in the team, should they get one. Can Ba replicate his form for West Ham for us, for an entire season? How will any further new players fit in?

On top of that we've got a new captain, we don't know how well he'll do and if we'll suffer in comparison to Nolan's leadership and goal count. Can Barton perform with an uncertain future worrying him? What about the LB position.

On paper we've got an exciting team. I'm nervous but intrigued to see how they perform. Too many questions though, and there are many more I could add. Not even started on how we'll manage with a few injuries to key players.

Lot of time for Gosling, think he'll do well here. I'm happy with our depth tbh, get 2 strikers then start to worry about other positions. Probably got one of the top 7 midfield's in the Premier League tbh, I thought that last year anyway, the second half of the season proved it with those chances we missed without You-Know-Who.

We've got a lot of players who could be good.

We don't know how Cabaye and Abeid will adapt. We don't know how Marveaux, Gosling and Ben Arfa will perform after long term injuries. We don't know how the likes of Vuckic might perform after an extended run in the team, should they get one. Can Ba replicate his form for West Ham for us, for an entire season? How will any further new players fit in?

On top of that we've got a new captain, we don't know how well he'll do and if we'll suffer in comparison to Nolan's leadership and goal count. Can Barton perform with an uncertain future worrying him? What about the LB position.

On paper we've got an exciting team. I'm nervous but intrigued to see how they perform. Too many questions though, and there are many more I could add. Not even started on how we'll manage with a few injuries to key players.

One really proper striker and a lot of that stuff will fall into place. Goals win games and winning games breeds confidence.

Lot of time for Gosling, think he'll do well here. I'm happy with our depth tbh, get 2 strikers then start to worry about other positions. Probably got one of the top 7 midfield's in the Premier League tbh, I thought that last year anyway, the second half of the season proved it with those chances we missed without You-Know-Who.

We won't sign two forwards and to be honest I would rather one forward and one defender.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He struggled on the right in the first half but I thought he showed promise in the second half playing more as a holding midfielder. He's been out for an awfully long time, hopefully he will be okay now as he is clearly a better option than Alan Smith in the event of injury or suspension to Tiote or Cabaye.

• 3 weeks later...

i think he's just a bit shit. don't know if it's just because he's still not match fit or whether the injuries have had a big impact on him. time will tell but he's got a bit to do to be pushing for a first team spot. you'd have to wonder if he's even ahead of guthrie at this stage.

i think he's just a bit shit. don't know if it's just because he's still not match fit or whether the injuries have had a big impact on him. time will tell but he's got a bit to do to be pushing for a first team spot. you'd have to wonder if he's even ahead of guthrie at this stage.

I haven't been that impressed by any of our new signings so far - obertan, ba and cabaye all look like poorer players than barton, Carroll and Nolan - the players they have replaced. Still early days like so time for them all to improve, particularly cabaye. Obertan does look a bit of a headless chicken though for all his pace.

Ba and best on this evidence look even worse than shola. Worrying.

you're wrong. nolan would have been better than cabaye was last night. at least he would understand the need to take up an advanced role. i'm not writing cabaye off btw. he might turn out to be a good player, but it seems obvious that he can't play in a 442 alongside a holding player like tiote as he wants to take take up those deep positions too.

Bit early isn't it to be writing players off? :D

He only played 20 or so league games for Everton. He's never been particularly brilliant, one for the future hopefully

He certainly gives us a different option to what we already have from the bench.

I haven't been that impressed by any of our new signings so far - obertan, ba and cabaye all look like poorer players than barton, Carroll and Nolan - the players they have replaced. Still early days like so time for them all to improve, particularly cabaye. Obertan does look a bit of a headless chicken though for all his pace.

Ba and best on this evidence look even worse than shola. Worrying.

you're wrong. nolan would have been better than cabaye was last night. at least he would understand the need to take up an advanced role. i'm not writing cabaye off btw. he might turn out to be a good player, but it seems obvious that he can't play in a 442 alongside a holding player like tiote as he wants to take take up those deep positions too.

Bit early isn't it to be writing players off? :D

Hey, i stand by that cabaye quote. He had a stinker against qpr when he sat so deep he was alongside tiote. Glad to see him improving. Not surprisingly, he's looked better since he started playing a bit further up the field and linking up the play more.

And if you read all those quotes, i haven't written any of them off. Just making observations based on what we've seen so far. ba seems to have turned a corner since he started eating during daylight hours but I'm not massively convinced by obertan and goslings done nowt for us yet.