Dan Gosling

BigAl

Are people seriously writing him off already even though he's only played 130 or so minutes of first team football for us? Give him a chance FFS he's only 20 and gets in the under 21 side aswell. Didn't he have a decent pre-season too, or one of the few players that did in the circumstances?

Some people just seem to find any stick to beat a player with, especially when theyre rating Abeid higher than him when theyve never seen him play and played less football than him

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see how people can have much of an opinion at all about him yet. Other than friendlies and reserve games (in which it seems hes done well) he's managed two league cup games and about ten minutes in the league against the makems in about two years after suffering an absolutely horrendous injury.

Admittedly he was poor against Scunthorpe but he certainly wasn't the only one (Ba for one looked like the game of football was comepletely new to him), and only people who were at Forrest (I'm yet to hear from a single person who was) saw what he was like there. But even if he was shite in both the cup games it's far too early to form a judgement yet alone suggest he'll never more than a Guthrie.

There are it seems a few Everton fans that are saying that they never thought he was premiership standard when he was there but there are others who said the complete opposite and were guuted to lose him and not just because of how he left. A more balanced opinion of him I've seen more often than not is that he'll never make it as top class but will be a very useful squad member similar in quality to Leon Osman (personally I'd be more than happy with that).

I would say that he faces a massive uphill battle to get in the team like. Tiote and Caybaye are pretty much untouchable at the minute and Jonas, Squidward and Marvaux are much more natural wingers.

But let's give the lad a chance eh?

Sorry mate but he'll never be as good as Leon Osman... Ossie is a good little player and would walk in to most mid table and below teams, Gosling is a very limited player and I dont know any Everton fans who were upset he left (other than because of the way he did)... In fact most fans were angry Moyes kept playing him over other players who had far more potential.

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make that judgement. You might be right, I have no way of knowing having seen next to nothing of him. I've seen other Everton (on Newcastle and Everton forums) fans agree with what you're saying and others disagreeing. I'm not arguing we have a good player or agreeing that we don't.

I'm just saying we have to actually see him before making a judgement.

Fair do's mate

I really don't see how people can have much of an opinion at all about him yet. Other than friendlies and reserve games (in which it seems hes done well) he's managed two league cup games and about ten minutes in the league against the makems in about two years after suffering an absolutely horrendous injury.

Admittedly he was poor against Scunthorpe but he certainly wasn't the only one (Ba for one looked like the game of football was comepletely new to him), and only people who were at Forrest (I'm yet to hear from a single person who was) saw what he was like there. But even if he was shite in both the cup games it's far too early to form a judgement yet alone suggest he'll never more than a Guthrie.

There are it seems a few Everton fans that are saying that they never thought he was premiership standard when he was there but there are others who said the complete opposite and were guuted to lose him and not just because of how he left. A more balanced opinion of him I've seen more often than not is that he'll never make it as top class but will be a very useful squad member similar in quality to Leon Osman (personally I'd be more than happy with that).

I would say that he faces a massive uphill battle to get in the team like. Tiote and Caybaye are pretty much untouchable at the minute and Jonas, Squidward and Marvaux are much more natural wingers.

But let's give the lad a chance eh?

I fully agree with what you are saying, I just have some reservations about the lad. Just don't think it's gonna help that he'll get limited gametime due to the strength of our midfield. But he does seem to have some determination about him, so if he keeps his head down who knows.

Really don't like this 'he is shit until proven otherwise', such a poor attitude. How about, "he hasn't impressed me so far but hopefully he gets better'.

Slightly more balanced viewpoint? :D

Unless he does something really special he isn't getting ahead of Tiote and Cabaye but pre-season he looked good and he is still getting over a long term injury. Ok so Everton fans didn't rate him as a youngster but many didn't rate Carroll when he was first coming through, quite a few thought Jose was a flop in his early days etc..

I think Gosling will probably be a good squad player who will grab his share of goals (scored for the reserves tonight btw).

He will be a more mobile version of Nolan, won't offer a great deal in general play but will get around the pitch (not all that quickly) and will find himself in good shooting positons.

IMO..

Really don't like this 'he is shit until proven otherwise', such a poor attitude. How about, "he hasn't impressed me so far but hopefully he gets better'.

Slightly more balanced viewpoint? ;)

Unless he does something really special he isn't getting ahead of Tiote and Cabaye but pre-season he looked good and he is still getting over a long term injury. Ok so Everton fans didn't rate him as a youngster but many didn't rate Carroll when he was first coming through, quite a few thought Jose was a flop in his early days etc..

I think Gosling will probably be a good squad player who will grab his share of goals (scored for the reserves tonight btw).

He will be a more mobile version of Nolan, won't offer a great deal in general play but will get around the pitch (not all that quickly) and will find himself in good shooting positons.

IMO..

Exactly, he's had virtually no playing time whatsoever and people are judging him already even though he's been out for more than a year. The same happened with Ba and is happening with Obertan, Santon will probably be the same. People just seem to jump on players backs for the sake of doing so without giving them time to adapt and recover from injuries etc

Being linked with a loan move to Doncaster by nufcfans and a few others on twitter.

Doncaster are eager to have a look at Dan Gosling after Newcastle’s decision to send him out on loan.

Midfielder Gosling, 21, has struggled to get into the Magpies’ high-flying team since returning from a long-term knee injury.

And Toon boss Alan Pardew is keen for him to go to the Championship.

New Donny boss Dean Saunders is hunting more Premier League talent to fire his club up the table.

He has snapped up West Ham’s Herita Ilunga on loan after signing Pascal Chimbonda on a free.

Edited by Barney

• 11 months later...

I think for where we were at the time Gosling was a decent signing for us, however the dynamics of the squad have moved on since then and IMO he has been left behind. When we buy now we seem to be looking towards players that seem to be quite proficient techincally and this isn't Gosling's game. In a way that gives him a niche in our squad, but he just doesn't seem good enough unfortunately. In an ideal world he should be loaned out somewhere to get some games, as let's not forget he's come back from a really bad injury and has never had the chance to gain any momentum since then.

I think for where we were at the time Gosling was a decent signing for us, however the dynamics of the squad have moved on since then and IMO he has been left behind. When we buy now we seem to be looking towards players that seem to be quite proficient techincally and this isn't Gosling's game. In a way that gives him a niche in our squad, but he just doesn't seem good enough unfortunately. In an ideal world he should be loaned out somewhere to get some games, as let's not forget he's come back from a really bad injury and has never had the chance to gain any momentum since then.

:good: