Dan Gosling

BigAl

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably has dicked them a bit frankly, no doubt hes said he's wanted to play centre mid, been told "no chance", and has thought fuck it then.

Either way agreement or not, they should've got him to sign the extension earlier and not been daft enough to rely on the word of an agent and a youngplayer, and even then he might not have signed and walked either way offer or not.

i concur with both of those statements

..and tell me why he's supposed to be stoutly loyal to Everton? They picked him up as a 17 year old (turning 18 in one month) on a 2 and a half year deal, it's not like he came through their youth ranks from a youngster, and it's not like he's anything close to a local.

He was given a run in Cup competitions but barely got a look in in the League, even with a lengthy injury list. He would not have got to play in his preferred position at the club, being behind many well established players, and one young player in Jack Rodwell.

Everton fans will try to paint the picture that he didn't sign because he wanted more money, but I'd say it would be much more to do with wanting to play in his preferred position. If he stayed around there his development was likely to stagnate with the potential for him to play even less first team football now that they have a number of key players returned from injury. Do that for two years and you could easily find yourself in the football wilderness. These days if you're not reasonably well established by your early 20s then you're likely to be not much more than a utility journeyman.

That statement doesn't give me any sympathy for Everton whatsoever. There's very few gentlemen (like Sir Berb) in the game, and that's always been the case.

Reminds me of that scene in The Damned United when Cloughie and Taylor took a contract to Dave Mackay's house for him to sign on a Sunday. Taylor says they can get round the rules by just coming to a gentleman's agreement and actually signing the contract later. Clough says bollocks to that, someone else could nab him.

Everton clearly weren't fussed on him as a player, just as a commodity....and even then, not that fussed.

That statement doesn't give me any sympathy for Everton whatsoever. There's very few gentlemen (like Sir Berb) in the game, and that's always been the case.

Reminds me of that scene in The Damned United when Cloughie and Taylor took a contract to Dave Mackay's house for him to sign on a Sunday. Taylor says they can get round the rules by just coming to a gentleman's agreement and actually signing the contract later. Clough says bollocks to that, someone else could nab him.

Everton clearly weren't fussed on him as a player, just as a commodity....and even then, not that fussed.

Agree with all that although the last sentence probably pretty much applies to NUFC too.

Guest Gordon McKeag

There's a very cynical air around here today. HF isn't the best bloke to talk to if you're thinking about topping yourself.

:D

I'm surprised the overall mood isn't a lot darker to tell the truth.

People this time last year were horrified that the squad wasn't going to be good enough for the championship.

We've added Perch and Campbell and there's some confidence that we won't be relegated from the Premiership.

:D

I'm surprised the overall mood isn't a lot darker to tell the truth.

People this time last year were horrified that the squad wasn't going to be good enough for the championship.

We've added Perch and Campbell and there's some confidence that we won't be relegated from the Premiership.

Is it not that we had no idea how much of a step down the Championship really was?

Christ, Collocini looke implacable and Nolan was the "best player in the league"

Plus it was only natural for people to be excessively pessimistic after being relegated... and in turn it's only naturalfor them to be excessively optimistic after being promoted as 'Champions'.

I think we'll survive, but it will be a long long long way from pretty... and Dan Gosling won't have a say in it.

Edited by OzToonFan

I dont think Gosling will cut it here and i'd be surprised if he gets a run at centre mid.

Rubbish. Look at his track record, and it shows that even though he has played very few games for Everton, he is more efficient than any of our central midfielders. Smith for example, its about time we said goodbye tbh. Hard worker, but provides f#ck all for us other than throwing himself into challenges. Nolan scored loads in the championship, but does that make him a contender for a position in the prem? One of the laziest players i've seen in our CM, looked lost at times in the championship. Guthie is getting better, a lot to learn though. And we're still to see Mr Barton hit proper form without injury.

I dont think Gosling will cut it here and i'd be surprised if he gets a run at centre mid.

Rubbish. Look at his track record, and it shows that even though he has played very few games for Everton, he is more efficient than any of our central midfielders. Smith for example, its about time we said goodbye tbh. Hard worker, but provides f#ck all for us other than throwing himself into challenges. Nolan scored loads in the championship, but does that make him a contender for a position in the prem? One of the laziest players i've seen in our CM, looked lost at times in the championship. Guthie is getting better, a lot to learn though. And we're still to see Mr Barton hit proper form without injury.

Did you not see that CCT footage?

• 11 months later...

Reading on wiki that he can also play as a right back.

Wonder if he would be a better bet than Simpson, particularly overlapping with Joey going forward.

Im really struggling to see how we can accommodate all these midfielders / wingers. Some of them aint even going to make the bench.

Wonder if he would be a better bet than Simpson, particularly overlapping with Joey going forward.

Im really struggling to see how we can accommodate all these midfielders / wingers. Some of them aint even going to make the bench.

3-6-1 formation?

wait till the inevitable xmas injury pile up, we will be wishing we had more of them!

Don't think they're that hard to accomodate tbh. You've got Tiote, Cabaye, Barton and Gosling who would be genuine contenders for then centre then Jonas, Barton, Marveaux and Ben Arfa for the wings. That's only seven players for four positions and then there's a fair chance of either Ben Arfa being pushed forward or us playing with a five man midfield.

I would say that's a pretty reasonable balance especially when Gosling can apparantly fill in at right back and Ben Arfa can be a forward.

I still think we need another Winger/Centre attacking mid for the injuries we're gonna get, on top of a striker, LB and RB

Really?

Gutierrez and Marveaux can play both left and right wing, as too can Ben Arfa.

Barton, Gosling, Raylor and Guthrie can play RM.

Ferguson can play LM.

I'd say out wide we are pretty strong. Same goes for CM actually...Cabaye, Tiote, Barton, Gosling, Guthrie and Smith :rip:

Midfield is spot on imo.

It is upfront and left back which are the more pressing area's to strengthen followed by RB and CB.

I think we could do with 2 more strikers and a LB.

Bring in Erdinger and then bring in a young prospect like Abeid but up-front. Someone who can put pressure on the strikers for a place. Bags of pace would be nice

I think we could do with 2 more strikers and a LB.

Bring in Erdinger and then bring in a young prospect like Abeid but up-front. Someone who can put pressure on the strikers for a place. Bags of pace would be nice

I quite like erdinger :rip:

That Abeid looks like he is nearer the 1st team than the reserves. Apparently he can play upfront as well.

"I've played at St. James' Park before and know all about the amazing atmosphere. Playing there in a black and white shirt is something I've thought about already and it will be a great day when I finally get to walk out in front of 50,000 people''

As if he's still waiting!

I still think we need another Winger/Centre attacking mid for the injuries we're gonna get, on top of a striker, LB and RB

Really?

Gutierrez and Marveaux can play both left and right wing, as too can Ben Arfa.

Barton, Gosling, Raylor and Guthrie can play RM.

Ferguson can play LM.

I'd say out wide we are pretty strong. Same goes for CM actually...Cabaye, Tiote, Barton, Gosling, Guthrie and Smith :rip:

Midfield is spot on imo.

It is upfront and left back which are the more pressing area's to strengthen followed by RB and CB.

Honestly

Marveaux and Ben Arfa have been out for a long time and I can see them picking up injuries quite a few times this season, but Ben Arfa is more likely to be deployed as a second striker, so once he gets injured, this new 4-5-1 formation that Pardew meant to be playing will fall apart and wont have a natural successor to fill in.

Raylor is a championship player and doesnt even know his own position, Gosling and Guthrie are CM's and having them as RM for a long period will have us weakened significantly, plus Gosling has like Marveaux and Barfa come back from a long injury and I can see him picking up niggles and taking a while to hit form

We need a bit more pace aswell we need depth in all the right places and not nut square pegs in round holes