Hughton Sacked

Holden McGroin

Chirs Hughton   

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No football manager should be on any more than a 2 year deal IMO. I remember when we got Keegan to sign that 10 year deal back in the mid 90s. Madness.

I agree, always have. Long term contracts for football managers are madness. I remember saying this to people on here who said that Aston Villa should give Martin O'Neill a 6 year contract to show they were "progressive".

Bollocks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

A club source said last night: "They have talked to two or three people, laying out the terms and conditions and then asking, 'Are you brave enough to take it on?'

"We will find out which one is brave enough to do that on Thursday or Friday. Mike wants the club run to Ashley rules, not football rules. That means no signing-on fee and no big compensation clauses in their contracts. There can be no rewards for failure."

Hughton was forced to go into the current campaign with basically the same squad which clinched promotion last season and his successor cannot expect to be bankrolled either.

The source added: "The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash. Mike wants an experienced manager at one of the biggest clubs in the land, but he wants one on his terms and those terms are simple.

"Every penny has to be spent wisely and the club must continue to head in the right direction towards the top end of the Premier League table.The bottom line is that Mike wants value for money and just as in his businesses, he expects to get it."

On Jol's job prospects, he said: "Martin has put himself in a good position, but he would have to accept these terms and conditions and it would not be a way he has worked before."

You never know what to believe anymore but suffice to say if any of that is true, it doesn't amount to a plan at all. It's just a case of sack someone one day and see who else is interested the next.

is this "planning" bollocks rearing its ugly head again ?

Simple fact is, you need to pay the going rate and try to get the right guy. The "timing" and "planning" are completely irrelevant if you have the right person and the right backing.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that people are turning down Mike Ashley and his derisory offers, when his ambitions for the football club are put to them.

I realise the accountants will be pleased though.

On the other hand, if good terms are offered to a half decent manager, like Jol, it reinforces a possibility that the club may be about to be sold. In my opinion.

Yes it's generally good to plan these things. Unless you're in absolute dire straights and a change is forced upon you by circumstances. Which wasn't the case here. Not a radical statement by any means and certainly far from bollocks as you insist.

Please can you attend to my question in the other thread by the way?

I'm only just in, and catching up. Show me what you refer to, I might respond tomorrow.

I don't agree with "planning". Football is reactionary and circumstances can and do change in a matter of weeks, as you say. Its a results dominated business where only a handful of clubs are deemed to be "successful". Everything is great if you win 3 games and everything is the opposite if you lose 3 games. You have just witnessed such a scenario at NUFC and it happens everywhere, so I don't see why you can possibly disagree.

If you seriously agree that "planning" leads to automatic success, then we will see how Ashleys "plan" goes. As you appear to believe such "plans" automatically succeed because they are "plans", you should be supporting this sacking and looking forward to a successor who is in time for the transfer window which is now on the horizon.

Edited by LeazesMag

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

A club source said last night: "They have talked to two or three people, laying out the terms and conditions and then asking, 'Are you brave enough to take it on?'

"We will find out which one is brave enough to do that on Thursday or Friday. Mike wants the club run to Ashley rules, not football rules. That means no signing-on fee and no big compensation clauses in their contracts. There can be no rewards for failure."

Hughton was forced to go into the current campaign with basically the same squad which clinched promotion last season and his successor cannot expect to be bankrolled either.

The source added: "The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash. Mike wants an experienced manager at one of the biggest clubs in the land, but he wants one on his terms and those terms are simple.

"Every penny has to be spent wisely and the club must continue to head in the right direction towards the top end of the Premier League table.The bottom line is that Mike wants value for money and just as in his businesses, he expects to get it."

On Jol's job prospects, he said: "Martin has put himself in a good position, but he would have to accept these terms and conditions and it would not be a way he has worked before."

You never know what to believe anymore but suffice to say if any of that is true, it doesn't amount to a plan at all. It's just a case of sack someone one day and see who else is interested the next.

Simple fact is, you need to pay the going rate and try to get the right guy. The "timing" and "planning" are completely irrelevant if you have the right person and the right backing.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that people are turning down Mike Ashley and his derisory offers, when his ambitions for the football club are put to them.

On the other hand, if good terms are offered to a half decent manager, like Jol, it reinforces a possibility that the club may be about to be sold. In my opinion.

Yes it's generally good to plan these things. Unless you're in absolute dire straights and a change is forced upon you by circumstances. Which wasn't the case here. Not a radical statement by any means and certainly far from bollocks as you insist.

I'm only just in, and catching up. Show me what you refer to, I might respond tomorrow.

I don't agree with "planning". Football is reactionary and circumstances can and do change in a matter of weeks, as you say. Its a results dominated business where only a handful of clubs are deemed to be "successful". Everything is great if you win 3 games and everything is the opposite if you lose 3 games. You have just witnessed such a scenario at NUFC and it happens everywhere, so I don't see why you can possibly disagree.

The point you make is largely nonsensical and the examples you use to back it couldnt be less relevant to the current scenario (where despite being in a bad spell, 95% of people polled have said they disagree with the sacking of Hughton.

The other thread that I'm referring to is the Shepherd thread, where you've introduced a new argument tonight that you claim is of absolutely crucial significance and something you've been arguing since time immemorial. The only slight problem's are i) it's untrue and ii) it's completely defective. Tomorrow's not going to change that btw.

If you seriously agree that "planning" leads to automatic success, then we will see how Ashleys "plan" goes. As you appear to believe such "plans" automatically succeed because they are "plans", you should be supporting this sacking and looking forward to a successor who is in time for the transfer window which is now on the horizon.

I note your edit and I respond simply by saying I've never said anything of the sort and (as usual) you're fictionalising peoples arguments again. Sigh.

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

A club source said last night: “They have talked to two or three people, laying out the terms and conditions and then asking, ‘Are you brave enough to take it on?’

“We will find out which one is brave enough to do that on Thursday or Friday. Mike wants the club run to Ashley rules, not football rules. That means no signing-on fee and no big compensation clauses in their contracts. There can be no rewards for failure.”

The source added: “The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash. Mike wants an experienced manager at one of the biggest clubs in the land, but he wants one on his terms and those terms are simple.

“Every penny has to be spent wisely and the club must continue to head in the right direction towards the top end of the Premier League table.The bottom line is that Mike wants value for money and just as in his businesses, he expects to get it.”

mission_impossible_logo.gif

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

Wow. You are stupid beyond belief.

Do you really think that successful clubs haven't followed a "plan" to get them there. "I don't agree with planning". I know you were pissed when you wrote that (not that that makes a difference), but it ranks up there with the stupidest things you've ever said on here, and it's got some fucking competition.

As Sammy points out, your final paragraph is just classic Leazes. Just fucking make something up and attribute it to the person you're arguing with. As supported by evidence, you will spend the next 5 years bringing this up every time you get into an argument with him (or anyone else, they all think the same these people anyway eh?), and it is a complete figment of your own imagination and something that NOBODY on here has said.

How can you spend 56 years on the planet and be this immature and intellectually stunted?

The Express

The new manager will not be handed a treasure trove of cash to spend and nor will he be handed a contract which means he can be rewarded for failure.

Ashley might end up with egg all over his face but in five years’ time the cynics might be thinking otherwise.

oh fuck off you fat cunt... :drinks:

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

Do you really think that successful clubs haven't followed a "plan" to get them there. "I don't agree with planning". I know you were pissed when you wrote that (not that that makes a difference), but it ranks up there with the stupidest things you've ever said on here, and it's got some fucking competition.

As Sammy points out, your final paragraph is just classic Leazes. Just fucking make something up and attribute it to the person you're arguing with. As supported by evidence, you will spend the next 5 years bringing this up every time you get into an argument with him (or anyone else, they all think the same these people anyway eh?), and it is a complete figment of your own imagination and something that NOBODY on here has said.

How can you spend 56 years on the planet and be this immature and intellectually stunted?

Read this post before identifying its author, bloody hell Gem you know better than to try to have a reasoned debate with the local crackpot.

Edited by luckyluke

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

Read this post before identifying its author, bloody hell Gem you know better than to try to have a reasoned debate with the local crackpot.

Oh it's not an attempt to have a reasoned debate with him. I just wanted to point out what a fucking idiot he is. Again.

As to planning a successor prior to sacking CH, I think that Ashley and Lambias probably thought they had the Jol situation sorted until Martin spoke to his old mate from Spurs and decided he wouldn't touch us with a ten-foot pole.

Ian Murtagh in The Star.

Is that a professional diagnosis? :drinks:

Mike Ashley sacks the lowest paid manager in the league, the manager who took a broken team had them promoted as champions amassing a record total on the way, then took that championship side with minimal additions to a comfortable midtable position with 1/3 of the season gone because he's looking for value for money.

:drinks:

Oh my god. I fucking love Jose.

From SkySports:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6561288,00.html

Hughton was sacked by Newcastle on Monday despite leading the team back into the Premier League and to a respectable 12th position after 16 games.

His departure stunned the squad and Enrique has revealed all the players wanted Hughton to stay in charge at St James' Park.

Peter Beardsley has been placed in caretaker charge ahead of Saturday's game against Liverpool, but reports suggest owner Mike Ashley wants to install Hughton's successor before the weekend.

Alan Pardew is currently the favourite to take over and Spanish full-back Enrique is adamant Newcastle must bring in a proven replacement for Hughton.

Big surprise

"The fans are not happy, the players are not happy," Enrique told the Daily Mail.

"It was a big surprise and we haven't been told a thing about why he left or who might come in.

"We were all happy with Chris. He's a great person, he works really hard and we all wanted him to stay. He'll get a chance with a big club soon because he is a great manager.

"If they are going to fire someone as good as Chris, they have to then bring in a big name, someone who has won trophies. And that doesn't even mean he will necessarily be better.

"If they just bring in someone similar, it's a joke."

Enrique added: "We don't have a team that belongs in the top six. It's not like we're low down in the table. Things are like this at this club. Strange things happen."

Off to Spurs or perhaps back to Spain in January and who could blame him?

Indeed. Not only did he prove a stable placement with us, but he is also highly regarded as a coach. We've lost both and will be someones gain.

Off to Spurs or perhaps back to Spain in January and who could blame him?

Indeed. Not only did he prove a stable placement with us, but he is also highly regarded as a coach. We've lost both and will be someones gain.

I meant Jose as he was quoted on the previous page but Hughton won't be out of work long.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
If Jose and Carroll leave in January there will be hell to pay !

There's gonna be hell to pay as it is. Saturday will be memorable.

If a player wants to stay and the manager doesn't want to sell I guess it's difficult to cash in.

Far better to get the players contracts extended....then piss them off so they're receptive to the approach of another club.

The likes of Carroll, Enrique, Tiote and that will be MUCH happier to leave at a profit now.

Ashley can't risk bringing in anyone good who they might want to play for.

Edited by Happy Face

If Jose and Carroll leave in January there will be hell to pay !

There's gonna be hell to pay as it is. Saturday will be memorable.

But we won't need them in the Championship :drinks: