The Twitter Thread

peasepud

If ManU were playing Newcastle Utd (or Leeds, or West Ham...) and someone referred to either team as just 'United' then of course that would be dumb and disrespectful.

But getting wound up about it in a circumstance like this when neither Chelsea United or Barcelona United were playing is just as annoying as people wrongly using 'United'.

Have to admit, Im with Matt on this one. Its twitter you only get 140 chars, to write out Manchester United every time you want to mention them in a game against Chelsea would be a pain in the arse to say the least.

Although get him to use ManUre and its the same chars. :D

Disagree "man utd" "man u". Your pre-Sky football fan would almost be unequivocally on my side here.

If ManU were playing Newcastle Utd (or Leeds, or West Ham...) and someone referred to either team as just 'United' then of course that would be dumb and disrespectful.

But getting wound up about it in a circumstance like this when neither Chelsea United or Barcelona United were playing is just as annoying as people wrongly using 'United'.

Have to admit, Im with Matt on this one. Its twitter you only get 140 chars, to write out Manchester United every time you want to mention them in a game against Chelsea would be a pain in the arse to say the least.

Although get him to use ManUre and its the same chars. :D

ManU for simplicity.

See I'm getting abused on Newcastle Online off the bellends :D

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/...67414.2280.html

MattM4 off here

Between the fans that live further than a mile from the ground, those born further than a mile from the ground, those that aren't Geordies, those that are foreign, those that are Geordies but too young, those that are Geordies but not worthy, those that are Geordies but moved away for even a week... I think his ideal match day experience is an attendance of 1.

What the fucks that got to do with a Newcastle United footballer referring to another club as United you complete bellwhiff?

Look at all the stuff he's put on there man, he's a f***ing moron. Was much easier to ignore these people before the internet.

If you read that thread, it sums up why I hate the new age Newcastle fan, it winds me up that these people represent the club. People like Kaizero, Fenham Mag, Matt M4 and Sewelly didn't really exist 10 years ago, and it's getting worse and worse. I don't know one person who wouldn't even question what Simpson said. I'm not having a go at the likes of Ketsbaia and other younguns who know the crack, but I'm embarrassed to call myself a NUFC fan at times.

I think your point is bang on Stevie. Just the way you put it across is hardly going to get someone to agree. Instantly putting whoever on defensive. Then again, diplomacy was never your strong point :D

Kaizero - Norwegian geek and possibly the ugliest man on the internet

Fenham Mag - Fat and stupid which is unforgivable.

Sewelly - Actually Brian Sewell's son, posher than an Oxfordshire dinner party.

Matt M4 always came over as a good lad though.

Harsh! :D

:D good summary

To be honest I think I was a lot more diplomatic than I should've been, it's not my job to explain to a NUFC employee for 18 months, what is acceptable and what isn't in terms of what to say and what not to say. Shows how little these players embrace the culture of the club.

MattM4 did to me till this episode.

What about Hansdownerpantz - name says it all?

To be honest I think I was a lot more diplomatic than I should've been, it's not my job to explain to a NUFC employee for 18 months, what is acceptable and what isn't in terms of what to say and what not to say. Shows how little these players embrace the culture of the club.

His profile pic says it all

me-with-my-dangerously-spikey-hair2.jpg

Edited by ChezGiven

His profile pic says it all

me-with-my-dangerously-spikey-hair2.jpg

:icon_lol: makes Brock Manson look stylish.

As I said last night on Twitter I agree with Stevie but he didn't half go off the deep end. It's only Twitter :D

I can't imagine Danny Simpson has ever had the whole 'United' issue explained to him properly and to be totally fair being a Man United fan who has spent most of his life playing for the club he probably wasn't aware he was going to upset someone. He knows now, like.

If you read that thread, it sums up why I hate the new age Newcastle fan, it winds me up that these people represent the club. People like Kaizero, Fenham Mag, Matt M4 and Sewelly didn't really exist 10 years ago, and it's getting worse and worse. I don't know one person who wouldn't even question what Simpson said. I'm not having a go at the likes of Ketsbaia and other younguns who know the crack, but I'm embarrassed to call myself a NUFC fan at times.

People aren't saying that you're wrong to mention him calling them United, people are reacting to you the way they have been because you're acting like the Stevie of old and simply insulting the guy for something that he clearly doesn't do to annoy you.

Then you bring out your stock response of how they're too young, not local, post-Sky fan etc, as if that immediately makes you right and them wrong. Exactly what do you know about these people who post on another forum?

People aren't saying that you're wrong to mention him calling them United, people are reacting to you the way they have been because you're acting like the Stevie of old and simply insulting the guy for something that he clearly doesn't do to annoy you.

Then you bring out your stock response of how they're too young, not local, post-Sky fan etc, as if that immediately makes you right and them wrong. Exactly what do you know about these people who post on another forum?

I know from one glance at their post they are total mugs. There are certain views you hold, which ultimately define in football forum terms what you are. 80% of them wouldn't know their Les Ferdinand's from their Franz Ferdinand's. I blame Keegan and SJH to a point. If we were a mid table non entity CCC club we wouldn't have this "baggage".

You obviously haven't read a lot of the comments. Half of them are along the lines of "he called them United, despite being employed by a United....so fuck" read the threads pal. Why was I not clueless about the club and it's culture when I was young I ask you? The fact is we have a lot of peripheral nobheads who call themselves fans when they have not got a clue. I wish they'd all fuck off to Wet N Wild, The Arena and the pictures to be honest.

Edited by McFaul

MattM4 off here

Between the fans that live further than a mile from the ground, those born further than a mile from the ground, those that aren't Geordies, those that are foreign, those that are Geordies but too young, those that are Geordies but not worthy, those that are Geordies but moved away for even a week... I think his ideal match day experience is an attendance of 1.

What the fucks that got to do with a Newcastle United footballer referring to another club as United you complete bellwhiff?

Because it's a trend you set. Anyone that has anything to say that differs from your ideals gets latched onto with insults and aggression using any of the above as a vehicle. In your eyes there is only one worthy NUFC supporter.

I'm not going to pretend to know more than you about what went on in the 80s, but I feel I know enough to comment about how to me this 'United' thing is a clear question of common sense and context. But anyone defending it is a Sky poser boy that should fuck off and support Man Utd.

In a sense, yes you are a more worthy and a truer supporter than most but the way you go about is very alienating.

Having a go at Simpson's allegiances when he's one of the players that has given the most for the team out on the pitch these last two seasons is a good examples of not really picking the right battles.

Because it's a trend you set. Anyone that has anything to say that differs from your ideals gets latched onto with insults and aggression using any of the above as a vehicle. In your eyes there is only one worthy NUFC supporter.

I'm not going to pretend to know more than you about what went on in the 80s, but I feel I know enough to comment about how to me this 'United' thing is a clear question of common sense and context. But anyone defending it is a Sky poser boy that should fuck off and support Man Utd.

In a sense, yes you are a more worthy and a truer supporter than most but the way you go about is very alienating.

Having a go at Simpson's allegiances when he's one of the players that has given the most for the team out on the pitch these last two seasons is a good examples of not really picking the right battles.

Bit in bold spot on. It wasn't necessarily a go at his allegiance neither, more highlighting utter, utter ignorance and disrespect of his employers, and supporters of his who refer to his club as "United". I've had this debate with many people down the years, the internet is not a proportional representation of the views of real NUFC fans, and 99% of people I've ever spoken to about Man Utd, being referred to as just "United" is pathetic, and 100 times more so when you're own fucking players are saying it. I can't even see how there can be an argument.

Your most embarrassing post to date.

The kid's probably been calling them United since he could speak. I don't see how it's disrespectful (it simply isn't btw) or why he should stop. Why the fuck are people so precious about it? I mean I don't understand.how anyone can allow themselves to get worked up about it. Sorry Stevie, but you are way out of line expecting him to apologise.

The kid's probably been calling them United since he could speak. I don't see how it's disrespectful (it simply isn't btw) or why he should stop. Why the fuck are people so precious about it? I mean I don't understand.how anyone can allow themselves to get worked up about it. Sorry Stevie, but you are way out of line expecting him to apologise.

Am I? His employers are called "United" over 500,000 people support a club called Newcastle UNITED, yet he refers to another club as "United". If you go in any pub on Tyneside and have this conversation 99.9% of people would agree with me. It's dense at best, his only defence is pleading ignorance, which opens up a variety of other questions too.

Am I? His employers are called "United" over 500,000 people support a club called Newcastle UNITED, yet he refers to another club as "United". If you go in any pub on Tyneside and have this conversation 99.9% of people would agree with me. It's dense at best, his only defence is pleading ignorance, which opens up a variety of other questions too.

But re-read what you've just written. Does any of it actually matter? You're talking to a lad that was brought up supporting that club. Why the fuck shouldn't he call them United just because.there's more than one.

Pathetic tbh :D

But re-read what you've just written. Does any of it actually matter? You're talking to a lad that was brought up supporting that club. Why the fuck shouldn't he call them United just because.there's more than one.

In terms of life and death of course it doesn't matter. In terms of employees of our football club, either being disrespectful, ignorant, or down right dense of course it matters. He plays for a United, the daft cunts like me who pay his wages, support United. There's more than one United, and to refer to them as just United on a social networking forum, is 100 times worse than Sky who will refer to them as United when they're playing Newcastle United in 12 days time. I can't even see how you can't see that? Anyway he's been told, hopefully he learns from his mistakes.