Wigan Athletic 0-1 Newcastle Utd

Mac-Toon

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonas has been very good today. Tiote/Collo immense. No yellow for Tiote, clean sheet too.

Very happy.

being able to run doesn't count as very good imo

0 end product as always

last run of the game there no one within 15 yards of him loads of time, still can't cross properly

He held the ball up cleverly and won free kicks in dangerous areas several times. His delivery is muck, that won't change. He took people on and beat people regularly.

Plays for Wigan :icon_lol:

But aye his general play was good, should have scored and to be fair to him he did stick a couple of good balls into the box.

Very Very good result that. If we'd slipped up the easy thinking would be that we cannot win without the big man. West Ham game is massive now. If we win, we can put real daylight between us and the likes of Fulham and Villa who would not have expected to be in the mire at this stage of the season.

I think Wolves and Birmingham and West Ham are the most likely candidates for the drop, but if we can get another 3pts, we'll be around the midtable mark after a very busy xmas period that we didn't enter under the best circumstances. Ben Arfa, Gosling, Carroll to come back, hopefully a couple of new additions.

25pts is good for this stage but, hopefully our wins haven't been dazzling the owner too much, we still need strengthening.

Good performance by all accounts. :icon_lol:

Just back from the pub, and apart from spilling me pint doon me trousers so it looks like i'd pissed meself after shola knocked the goal in - could not be happier.

In all honesty Gutierrez played pretty well considering his usual form - though his miss was inexcusable, and the defence was a bit shaky in the first 15 , but managed to find their feet before it cost us.

Good to see us trying a little bit differently as far as attempts on goal are concerned, hopefully that will stay the same once carroll returns.

My only real disappointment was Tiote at the end.

Even when he got 'nutted' last week, he stayed up, stood strong, and even the critics were applauding him! not sure what he was playing at rolling grabbing his face - time wasting aside it just kind of tarnished his otherwise awesome personal MO.

Though tbh when you have newspapers publishing articles with such content as "Blackpool admit refrees have told us to go to ground easier so we win free kicks" and that being acceptable, who can blame the fella!

Am i missing something with Barton not being banned as well?! I swear that was his 5th!

Unbelievable how shite Wigan were tbh.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I thought we were shite as well.

Lovely to get 3 points but in my opinion if we play like that against West Ham they will hammer us.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Very happy :(:icon_lol:

Feared the worst when Smith came on, shouting and swearing at players ten times better than him, see that one where we had a three on one in the last minute one good pass and it was a goal and he fucked it up, but never mind, great win, massive win for the toon. Worst side we've played this season though Wigan, absolutely unbelievable that we couldn't beat them at home. I kept saying in the second half I just hope these mugs aren't the new Southampton, mind that game we dominated at The Dell 0-1 in the last minute and we lost 3-1 and hadn't won for thirty years.

Tiote is absolutely immense, I'll tell you now I know lots about European football, but I'll be honest I'd never even heard of him till the World Cup, he could play for any team in any country, he's an absolute star I love him so much as a player, heart of a lion, brain of Einstein (in footballing terms), humble as fuck, pipes down and gets on with his life, Newcastle's greatest signing in so many years. Such a big three points.

Pardew is a mug, it's a matter of time before he's shaggin some cunts wife, but I liked his positive words at the end "this club should expect to win every game", most positive sentence I've heard from anyone about NUFC for years. Nolan's crack though oh dear "these fans are probably ONE OF the best in league", who does he fuckin thinks better like? The MURDERERS?

Anyway three more points against West Ham and we're laughing :) No way will Wigan come above us, no way will Wolves come above us. :) Good start to 2011.

Lovely to get 3 points but in my opinion if we play like that against West Ham they will hammer us.

We were without our best striker yet still pretty much dominated them tbf.

Carroll would've scored for sure had he been playing. It's a game we needed to win, so it doesn't particularly matter how many we put past them. I'm just happy that the win will bring a little confidence when going into games like this.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
See the mackems have gone into meltdown again over on SMB because sky rightly pointed out we're the biggest club in the northeast! Just 3 or 4 threads about it mind, plus their official thread for our match and another about Carroll's fitness test!

How can they even debate that??? If we had their ticket prices 80,000 would be too small. We have a fanbase nationally at least 3 or even 4 times theirs, in the North East we must outnumber them 2 to 1, we're a far bigger name. How can they argue?

I couldn't be bothered to read the threads through, but usually at some point a sensible person will point out we are and always have been bigger at which point they start going on about catchment areas and how we have a much bigger one!

These mugs :icon_lol:

Originally Posted by Sima View Post

Arsenal are the biggest club in London anyway. Regardless of crowds or not

Exactly.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.ph...3#ixzz19uAaKxAf

Simpson and Barton linking down the right is really coming together in the same way there was a lot of early season promise down the left, but Ricky has stopped running forward as much recently. Player a great ball to Guti who should have scored (even had time to round the keeper imo). My feelling was that with Carroll we might have had another 2 or 3 goals as we absolutely dominated for all the first half and some of the second half. They had their spell in the 2nd half but are really short of ideas with Zoggy. A massive 3 points.

MOM Tiote. (Always there to recive the ball, tidy and comes out with it on oacassion looking quite scary).

Pardew 7/10 Started with 2 forwards and no messin.

Taylor played shit again. Bring back Williamson.

Harper only had one save to make in 90minutes :icon_lol:

Nowt to do with Taylor, who was gash.

Any further explanation? Surely there strikers not having a sniff all day says something about the back 4?

I thought the team was lazy today, and rather than capitalizing on the abject performance by Wigan, we allowed ourselves to be dragged down to their level. It was not a lack of guile or ability that stopped us from breaking Wigan down after the first goal, but a lack of effort and professionalism against a team that had bent over the proverbial kitchen table, and had spread their cheeks wide open with both hands, waiting patiently for us to smash their back doors in. We should have been 3-0 up in the first half, and were lucky that Wigan did not particularly improve in the second, as the one-goal lead left us in a potentially disastrous position; we cannot afford to drop points against teams of this quality.

There is a lethargy in Ameobi's play which is reminiscent of a narcoleptic sloth that has just swallowed a plateful of horse-tranquilizers. He is also incapable of doing two good things in a row: having leapt through the air and controlled an awkward pass (with a sumptuous touch that displayed impressive agility), he swung a clumsy foot at the ball and played it straight to Wigan's last man, with Lovenkrands having made a dangerous run that would have left him clean through on goal, were it not for Shola's incompetence. His movement is also incomprehensible; when making a run he follows the defender marking him - rather than peeling away from him - which makes it near-impossible for anyone in possession to pick him out. Lovenkrands was not much better (though he displayed some good movement), and seems to think pulling funny faces and gesticulating will make up for him missing clear and easy chances to score. I was surprised that Ranger did not replace either of them in the second-half, has he been injured?

I am relieved after the win because Wigan seem to be a bogey-side for us, and I hate losing to such a dull club. The away-crowd were magnificent, although to be fair it should be said that Wigan's fans were both in good voice. I hope the substandard performance means we are left with more energy for the upcoming fixtures; Enrique was clearly not fully-fit and the team suffered, but ultimately Tiote, Barton and Nolan dominated the game, as they were met with little resistance from what must surely be one of the most likely teams to be relegated.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Taylor played shit again. Bring back Williamson.

Harper only had one save to make in 90minutes :icon_lol:

Nowt to do with Taylor, who was gash.

Any further explanation? Surely there strikers not having a sniff all day says something about the back 4?

They couldn't string 3 passes together, man. I'm not about to say Taylor was shite but he did play people into trouble a couple of times. Canny run when he hit the bar like.

Simpson and Barton linking down the right is really coming together in the same way there was a lot of early season promise down the left, but Ricky has stopped running forward as much recently. Player a great ball to Guti who should have scored (even had time to round the keeper imo). My feelling was that with Carroll we might have had another 2 or 3 goals as we absolutely dominated for all the first half and some of the second half. They had their spell in the 2nd half but are really short of ideas with Zoggy. A massive 3 points.

MOM Tiote. (Always there to recive the ball, tidy and comes out with it on oacassion looking quite scary).

Pardew 7/10 Started with 2 forwards and no messin.

Canny post parky.

The thing with Enrique / Jonas is that Enrique is constantly watchting those runs either come to nothing or lose posession making him feel less inclined to really push forward and overlap. Im sure that with a better winger or a remarkable turnaround in Jonas's form, the Enrique would go back to making those runs.

Also a canny shout for Pardew. He did set up and go out to attack.

I was also happy enough with his substitutions however I missed who Snith replaced but I guess that was either just to run the clock down or add a bit of grit to midfield in the dying minutes.

I love that TyneValleyBitterCunt - doesn't see the irony in pointing out 3 of our titles were in a short period "years ago" when 4 of theirs were two fucking centuries ago.

I thought Sky were playing Mackem wind-up bingo today - travelling fans/biggest club/5-1 - all good shots.

Wigan were fucking abysmal - made Shola look good despite him missing a chance a potted plant would have scored. A bit early but I think they could well take one of the places - especially if N'Zogbia goes.

Highlight for me was Best's chance/miss - fucking hilarious.

Its strange seeing people complaining about our performance today. We went for all out attack and should have really gone in 5-0, job done and half time.

I cant remember all the goals we could have had in the game, but...

Ameobis early miss

Colochini off the Bar

Taylor off the Bar

Lovenkrands feet tangle

Jonas miss

off the top of my head.

Critical for the sake of being critical.

The only real problem I had with that performance was the lack of a second or indeed third goal - and to be fair, with a bit more luck and finesse we might have gotten at least one more (given we had two off the bar).

Tiote was class and Jonas put in a good shift.

I see what you done there :icon_lol:

Steven Taylor wasn't bad, but didn't have a lot to do. Should have scored that headed chance. Compared to Shola's miss 2 minutes in it was respectable. Jonas but in a good honest shift and as a result it was his best game in some time. Still lots to improve, but the effort was there and he was taking on and beating his oppostion like he used to. As soon as he knows he's got the beating of his opposite player with pace he has a much more positive approach. Nolan was quiet all game which pulled Joey back in to the middle a lot more, but I think that's where Barton is at his best, where he has the option to play in wide channels or to come through the middle. As everyone else has mentioned Tiote played very well. He was mildly lucky to get away with a cynical foul in the middle of the pitch early on, but rightfully pulled his head back in after that and consequently finished the game without a card. The nonsense rolling about screaming clutching his face was embarrassing though, not even Jonas would have carried on like that.

Lovenkrands wanted too much time on the ball on a number of occassions, a sign of a player out of touch, other than that his runs were decent and the effort was there helped contribute to our goal which was the result of applied pressure from a number of players, always good to see.