Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least after the 5-1 against Germany you could point at the young players coming into the England setup and genuinely believe they might coalesce into a "golden generation", even if it wasn't to be. With the possible exception of Wilshere, who on earth is there in the 17-22 category now that might reasonably be the heart and soul of the team in nine years' time?

At least after the 5-1 against Germany you could point at the young players coming into the England setup and genuinely believe they might coalesce into a "golden generation", even if it wasn't to be. With the possible exception of Wilshere, who on earth is there in the 17-22 category now that might reasonably be the heart and soul of the team in nine years' time?

I reckon Phil Jones is in that category maybe Oxlade Chamberlain

struggling for any after that though

I reckon Phil Jones is in that category maybe Oxlade Chamberlain

struggling for any after that though

Jack Rodwell.

Not sure the relevance of the 17-22 year old age bracket for 9 years from now. Most of the players who will be having an impact in 9 years are in 14-17 age bracket i.e. unknowns.

Jack Rodwell.

Not sure the relevance of the 17-22 year old age bracket for 9 years from now. Most of the players who will be having an impact in 9 years are in 14-17 age bracket i.e. unknowns.

Just because that was the age range that was being hailed the last time we had a "golden generation" hype, around 2001, and you tend to need a core of mature and internationally experienced pros to achieve on the global stage. Obviously future world-beaters like Glen Johnson, Aaron Lennon and James Milner were in the younger category at the time.

Just because that was the age range that was being hailed the last time we had a "golden generation" hype, around 2001, and you tend to need a core of mature and internationally experienced pros to achieve on the global stage. Obviously future world-beaters like Glen Johnson, Aaron Lennon and James Milner were in the younger category at the time.

So it wasn't a Freudian slip because you had 17-22 year old footballers on your mind at the time.

So it wasn't a Freudian slip because you had 17-22 year old footballers on your mind at the time.

I always have 17-22 year old footballers on my mind. It's a triumph of sheer will and determination that I'm able to post about anything else. :(

What do people think of Ross Barclay? if he improves at his current rate then he could well be a future candidate for a regular start. I caught the long highlights of the first game of the season for everton against norwich, very powerful player considering his age and a great shot on him.

Thing is, there has been so many promising youngsters in recent years who have just drifted off the radar after a year or so, hopefully martinez progresses him well and he can be a mainstay in the England setup in a few years time.

What do people think of Ross Barclay? if he improves at his current rate then he could well be a future candidate for a regular start. I caught the long highlights of the first game of the season for everton against norwich, very powerful player considering his age and a great shot on him.

Thing is, there has been so many promising youngsters in recent years who have just drifted off the radar after a year or so, hopefully martinez progresses him well and he can be a mainstay in the England setup in a few years time.

I don't really care. I only come on here for the craic (this specific topic) I really couldn't give a shit about football which is non NUFC related. In fact I only posted here because I am waiting for a module to complete it's run.

I don't really care. I only come on here for the craic (this specific topic) I really couldn't give a shit about football which is non NUFC related. In fact I only posted here because I am waiting for a module to complete it's run.

Harsh but true. :lol:

Barkley looks good IMO, but he's hardly the man to take the England team a step up. I know it's unfair to compare to Spain... But I'm gonna do it anyway. They have Isco who's one year older than Barkley and starting for Real Madrid and older but still young lads like Herrera coming through. We can't compare.

The interesting point to note there isn't that we won't win in 2014, but that he thinks we can in 2022.

The daftee.

It much easier to set a target for someone else to hit when you'll have long since retired.