Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PP, am bright enough to know that you railing against the poor financial performance of the club and stating on here that they should be doing everything in their power to to increase that income is consistent with how they have presented this deal. Clearly the assumption is that this is just free advertising but if it's not, then thy are just doing what you said they should be doing. I know you would never have suggested this but you did say they should increase income. I know J69 has already said that even if it does we won't see a penny but operating income (as opposed to player sales) is the basis for the wage bill.

You are right I did and I stand by that although not the statement "everything in their power", some things are not for sale, at least not at a price that wont really make any significant difference. Put it this way, if we did manage to sell it, its less than a 3rd of how much we got for Carroll, is AC 3 times more important to NUFC fans than SJP?

The thing is you and I know fine well that we will never sell the name of the ground to any other company because they all know its toxic to be associated with and even if not, its hugely over priced. By adding the shirt sponsorship into the deal then hes effectively cut off our chances of any other advertiser. This means SD gets both for free and appears to be doing us a favour by taking it.

I bet you now that if you were to ring the club and ask to buy a dozen advertising boards in the Gallowgate you'd be told that there werent any available yet all of those SD ones should be up for sale to anyone that wants them. We all know that they arent paying the going rate for that advertising (if at all). Anyone who believes they are would be foolish after all why buy 200 advertising boards in one ground and have them appear on tv 4 times a year when you could buy 20 each at 10 clubs and get them seen 40 times by even more people?

No doubt people will make the argument that hes not gaining anything by not paying but I honestly believe he is. Additional advertising raises the profile of SD and in turn the profits. As major shareholder he gains from those both in "paper wealth" and actual dividends. NUFC however is different, the more profit it makes then the more the fans expect to see investing in the team etc and him taking money out will not be seen well.

So he gives away the advertising and the club end up 2,3,4 or more millions down however all that does is reduce the amount we can spend on players so hes not out of pocket at all. SD however reaps the benefits of world wide exposure, not only in the amount of ads in and around the ground but other things as mentioned on here by others.

Everytime the ground is mentioned on tv, in media etc.

Maps, every map of the city will at some stage be renewed and instead of saying "St James' Park" will hold the name of his company.

as said before, google searches, Sports Direct will now have an absolutely massive increase in the number of webpages its mentioned on. Wikipedia, every football site that details clubs etc etc etc, it will even start appearing on SDs competitors websites! Wigan will not have to carry the words Sports Direct in their write ups of the match etc.

Club merchandise, we'll no doubt start seeing numerous merchandising of the ground appearing "buy models of the Sports Direct stadium" etc, it may not make SD any actual money but again its further putting the name Sports Direct into homes.

Theres probably a thousand more things, some of them massive, some insignificant but each and every one of them is seen by somebody somewhere and all of those are free.

Stevie also hit the nail on the head when he points out that there are going to be kids growing up who know no other name than "Sports Direct Arena", 20 year down the line and someone comes in to reclaim our club, this place will erupt again when the new people dare to change the name to St James' Park.

I cant put forward strongly enough how bad I think this is, the name of our stadium, thats changed and grown over time but has always been known as SJP is erased overnight by some fat bloke looking to increase his already massive gut. I'll be slated for this but I dont care, I would prefer we went down than this, as proven already you can recover from a relegation, this is history, this is tradition and this is way more significant than a league placing. I will follow this club whether it is in the Champions League or the Northern Alliance, what I wont do is ever accept that changing one of our most important and iconic symbols is anything other than bad.

Great post.

Another piece of irony is that in one hand he's trying to sell us cheap tat to celebrate "130 years of history" yet in the other he's selling the family jewels.

Flabaghasting that so-called NUFC fans are reeled in by this shit too.

I was listening to the football phone in on Radio Newcastle last night and one of the guests (albeit a Makem) made a point which fits this perfectly.

He said that he’d long since given up any hope of the scum winning a trophy in his lifetime. He was challenged on this by the presenter who (rightly) pointed out that if Birmingham could win a cup there’s no reason why them or Newcastle couldn’t, and he should always have hope. His answer was that winning anything wasn’t the reason he supported the unwashed. He supports them because they are part of where he’s from. They’re tied into the ‘city’ and the people much more than just a football team. They’re part of what makes the city the city. If you wanted to follow a team for them to win something then Sunderland or Newcastle aren’t the teams you would follow.

This is the point that the fat cunt (and it seems a few on here) will never understand.

Spot on. 100% spot on very similar to what I've written in one or two posts.

PP, am bright enough to know that you railing against the poor financial performance of the club and stating on here that they should be doing everything in their power to to increase that income is consistent with how they have presented this deal. Clearly the assumption is that this is just free advertising but if it's not, then thy are just doing what you said they should be doing. I know you would never have suggested this but you did say they should increase income. I know J69 has already said that even if it does we won't see a penny but operating income (as opposed to player sales) is the basis for the wage bill.

You are right I did and I stand by that although not the statement "everything in their power", some things are not for sale, at least not at a price that wont really make any significant difference. Put it this way, if we did manage to sell it, its less than a 3rd of how much we got for Carroll, is AC 3 times more important to NUFC fans than SJP?

The thing is you and I know fine well that we will never sell the name of the ground to any other company because they all know its toxic to be associated with and even if not, its hugely over priced. By adding the shirt sponsorship into the deal then hes effectively cut off our chances of any other advertiser. This means SD gets both for free and appears to be doing us a favour by taking it.

I bet you now that if you were to ring the club and ask to buy a dozen advertising boards in the Gallowgate you'd be told that there werent any available yet all of those SD ones should be up for sale to anyone that wants them. We all know that they arent paying the going rate for that advertising (if at all). Anyone who believes they are would be foolish after all why buy 200 advertising boards in one ground and have them appear on tv 4 times a year when you could buy 20 each at 10 clubs and get them seen 40 times by even more people?

No doubt people will make the argument that hes not gaining anything by not paying but I honestly believe he is. Additional advertising raises the profile of SD and in turn the profits. As major shareholder he gains from those both in "paper wealth" and actual dividends. NUFC however is different, the more profit it makes then the more the fans expect to see investing in the team etc and him taking money out will not be seen well.

So he gives away the advertising and the club end up 2,3,4 or more millions down however all that does is reduce the amount we can spend on players so hes not out of pocket at all. SD however reaps the benefits of world wide exposure, not only in the amount of ads in and around the ground but other things as mentioned on here by others.

Maps, every map of the city will at some stage be renewed and instead of saying "St James' Park" will hold the name of his company.

as said before, google searches, Sports Direct will now have an absolutely massive increase in the number of webpages its mentioned on. Wikipedia, every football site that details clubs etc etc etc, it will even start appearing on SDs competitors websites! Wigan will not have to carry the words Sports Direct in their write ups of the match etc.

Club merchandise, we'll no doubt start seeing numerous merchandising of the ground appearing "buy models of the Sports Direct stadium" etc, it may not make SD any actual money but again its further putting the name Sports Direct into homes.

Theres probably a thousand more things, some of them massive, some insignificant but each and every one of them is seen by somebody somewhere and all of those are free.

Stevie also hit the nail on the head when he points out that there are going to be kids growing up who know no other name than "Sports Direct Arena", 20 year down the line and someone comes in to reclaim our club, this place will erupt again when the new people dare to change the name to St James' Park.

I cant put forward strongly enough how bad I think this is, the name of our stadium, thats changed and grown over time but has always been known as SJP is erased overnight by some fat bloke looking to increase his already massive gut. I'll be slated for this but I dont care, I would prefer we went down than this, as proven already you can recover from a relegation, this is history, this is tradition and this is way more significant than a league placing. I will follow this club whether it is in the Champions League or the Northern Alliance, what I wont do is ever accept that changing one of our most important and iconic symbols is anything other than bad.

Brilliantly put PP - absolutely spot on!

Undone all the good PR again. Hopeless.

If true, it has to be intentional, because nobody can be so stupid.

He’s taking advantage of our good start to the season to push through the next stage of his plan to turn NUFC into SDFC. It won’t stop here. It’ll never stop.

He’s got our ‘support’ sussed though. He knows we haven’t got the character to stand up for the club we claim to love. He knows this move will be met with some half arsed protest followed by fuck all. That we’ll just roll over and take it up the arse like we always do. Pathetic.

and the ONLY thing that will register on him because of this flash in the pan decent run on the pitch, is how easy it is to get fools on his side, he will see this u-turn as simply more proof of the gullibility of some supporters and continue selling our best players and replace them with cheap chancy replacements, he will by now genuinely think his formula "works".

Beware. The club is in decline. Nothing has changed.

You've just signed up for 3 years man. Can't have it both ways.

of course. But I'm not a hypocrite who wanted the old regime out then stopped going when they got what they wanted.

Not really a criticism of you and certainly not for going to games. However when you talk about getting 'fools on side' I'm not sure you're barking up the right tree. Most of the apologists don't live in the area or attend games (going off the people on here) and, as such, I doubt he cares what they think. He only cares about the bottom line. If you're handing your money over you tacitly approve of what he is doing (to his mind at least) imo.

I understand the point you make, however Alex, I've said this before, but I boycotted the club for a short while during the days of Westwood etc when Gordon Lee left for Everton because NUFC were an unambitious 2nd rate club who sold their best players and lost a good manager because of it. When that happened, the penny dropped for me, I realised that I supported a club going nowhere and change at the top was needed, any manager who did well was doing well in spite of having his hands tied behind his back. Which is what Pardew is now doing.

Without going on too long.........this is why it has been so easy for me to see Mike Ashley and his intentions, I've seen it all before, I've heard the statements, I've seen the excuses and "reasons", I've heard the press conferences.

I realised that I didn't want to do this again, especially at the age I am now and living in hope that I see NUFC win a trophy before I pop my clogs, and I value the fact that I can still go and watch the club play, however I feel about the politics. My view is that BECAUSE I continue to go to games, it gives me the right to say what I see and don't have to show blind loyalty either.

Probably wasn't the thread for it anyway tbh. I think I just take issue with your notion about so many being taken in. My experience is that most people are just enjoying the ride / good results but are waiting for (and expecting) it to go tits up. I don't really think that many people think Ashley has gotten it right but at the same time it seems a bit churlish constantly banging on about him when we're doing well. I think people (the sensible ones, y'knaa? ;) ) accept it's not really down to Ashley much and, as such, are happy to shut up about him and praise the manager, coach and players. Until something like this happens, of course.

I don't really agree. Lots of people [not so many on here admittedly] are taking all this small run of good results on the pitch as "proof" that Ashleys methods "work", but they don't.

I've finally caught up with this thread, after a few days away again.

Don't really know what to say. I got a text last night telling me of this name change.

Nothing surprises me about this bloke anymore. I've said for a long time that he bought the club to sit alongside Sports Direct as an advertising vehicle and so long as he makes a small profit at whatever level we are at, despite certain obvious self-proclaimed "intelligent" people that disagreed and saying I was talking bollocks, and still do unfortunately for them. That was his aim, still is his aim, and if we don't make an operating profit, then he'll do it by selling a player, obviously staying in the premiership is better for the advertising and profile of Sports Direct, so that is the aim and the sole aim. Selling a player to make a profit is far easier than gambling on quality footballers and hoping to get into europe. He has sussed this out, probably after the first few months, the penny dropped on this particular score.

What next ? A Sports Direct logo on the shirts ? Definitely. After that, a red and blue away strip [to start with]. Don't be surprised.

I'm not that traditional I'm against change, but we will NOT see the money from all these deals, including this 8-10m quid Dekka has spoken about re the name change. He has already shown that this will not be the case. What the long term holds after that, is anybody guess.

Edited by LeazesMag

:clapping: :clapping: :cry:

If £35m doesn't make a difference, what difference will £8-10m make?

Well exactly.

They've clearly been planning this for a while, hence all the SD banners. All very sad.

Is it even worth £8-£10m though, that's for both the shirt and stadium sponsorship. Realistically it's worth £4m on its own.

Just listened to the interview and it was interesting to note that the interviewer asked him what would happen if no one came in with an offer for the stadium name, Llambias replied that it would stay the SDA, no going back to SJP.

Cock.

Well exactly.

They've clearly been planning this for a while, hence all the SD banners. All very sad.

Is it even worth £8-£10m though, that's for both the shirt and stadium sponsorship. Realistically it's worth £4m on its own.

which we'll never see, even if it was worth it.

---@iainmacintosh I don't buy this, 'we're changing the name to showcase how naming rights work' bobbins. We know how naming rights work. We're not cats.

It's often been said that while Ashley is the owner of the club, it's not his club. The club will still be here after he's long gone. The club is the fans, ground etc. Well he's just taken a bit of that away from us.

Well exactly.

which we'll never see, even if it was worth it.

---@iainmacintosh I don't buy this, 'we're changing the name to showcase how naming rights work' bobbins. We know how naming rights work. We're not cats.

See my post above yours.

Very good. Most people will agree, I'm sure.

Pizzas! Donuts! Chicken 'n biscuits! It's our Top 10 worst stadium naming deals

By Simon Head in Mirror Football Blog

Published 12:58 10/11/11

With the news that Newcastle United's St. James' Park will henceforth be called the Sports Direct Arena, we've searched the world for the worst sporting arena naming deals. As you can imagine, our cousins from across the pond are leading the way when it comes to ridiculous stadium names...

1.) Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Colorado, USA (capacity 18,086)

Major League Soccer's equivalent of St. James' Park, Colorado Rapids' home is also named after a large sports shop. And a rather daft-sounding one at that. But seeing as the stadium has never been known as anything else, the fans don't seem to be quite as upset about it.

2.) Pizza Hut Park (formerly Frisco Soccer & Entertainment Complex) - Frisco, Texas, USA (capacity 21,193)

It sounds like a food-related theme park, but in fact it's the home of Major League Soccer side FC Dallas.

3.) KFC Yum! Center - Louisville, Kentucky, USA (capacity 22,090)

It's not a football stadium, but we had to include this just for the "Yum!" (note the exclamation mark, which is actually in the name) part of the title. The arena, which is the home of the University of Louisville Cardinals basketball team, and sell Yum! brands - KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell - from its concession stands inside the arena. Yum indeed...

4.) Flancare Park - Longford, Republic of Ireland (capacity 6,850)

League of Ireland side Longford FC's stadium sponsor sounds like some sort of pie rehabilitation centre, but is in fact a warehousing and logistics centre. Which is a shame.

5.) Dunkin' Donuts Center - Providence, Rhode Island, USA (capacity 13,106)

It used to be known as Providence Civic Center, but now it's known simply as "The Dunk". The indoor arena, which plays host to the Providence Bruins ice hockey team and the Providence Friars college basketball team, has a capacity of up to 13,106.

6.) Hunky Dorys Park - Drogheda, Republic of Ireland (capacity 2,000)

Hunky Dorys are crisps and snacks from the Republic of Ireland, and they've put their name to Drogheda United's stadium. With a capacity of only 2,000, this is the smallest stadium on our list, but the name more than makes up for the lack of seats.

7.) Kit Kat Crescent - York (capacity 7,827)

Thankfully for York City fans their club's naming rights deal with Nestle expired in 2010, so their Bootham Crescent home is no longer associated with a popular chocolate biscuit.

8.) Whataburger Field - Corpus Christi, Texas, USA (capacity 5,400)

Whataname for a stadium! Whataburger Field is home to American minor league baseball team the Corpus Christi Hooks.

9.) Capital One Field - Maryland, USA (capacity 54,000)

This is currently known as Capital One Field, but before that it was called the "Chevy Chase Bank Field". Despite the fact that the Chevy Chase in this case was a bank and not the American actor who starred in Fletch and Caddyshack, the name still raised a smile or two from those of us in the office who were brought up in the 1980s.

10.) Bojangles Coliseum - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA (capacity 9,605)

Home to the Carolina Speed indoor American Football team and the Charlotte Copperheads lacrosse team, the Bojangles Coliseum also hosted an Ultimate Fighting Championship event in 2010. For those of you wondering, the title sponsor is "Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits," which sounds good to us.

Edited by Sonatine

Shinton, am born in wallsend and I bet you a months salary face to face, no google, the history of newcastle upon Tyne, the one told in the history books, you wouldn't live with me. Not football but history, the reason why people are furious. I know my cultural heritage and your generation sat back and allowed the destruction of granger town, bit fucking late now jumping on the 'oh woe is me, they're destroying our heritage' vibe. We can re-name it SJP in the future but you can't bring back the destroyed architecture, I get far more annoyed thinking about that than this and if you don't then I'd question your civic pride

I'm from Waaalsend so we are from the same place. I did not ask you where you are from I asked where you live now as it may mean you do not feel the hurt as much of those who live local (just a thought) or maybe you do not go to the match so you are not feeling the hurt as much as those who splash the cash and suffer (just a thought) Per chance are you a history teacher? By the way i probably know more about Germany in thesecond world war than a lot of Germans but it does not make me Hitler, knowing more about Newcastle's history does not make you a NUFC fan.

Anyhoo just a old mans thoughts, have fun

I don't really agree. Lots of people [not so many on here admittedly] are taking all this small run of good results on the pitch as "proof" that Ashleys methods "work", but they don't.

Don't really know what to say. I got a text last night telling me of this name change.

Nothing surprises me about this bloke anymore. I've said for a long time that he bought the club to sit alongside Sports Direct as an advertising vehicle and so long as he makes a small profit at whatever level we are at, despite certain obvious self-proclaimed "intelligent" people that disagreed and saying I was talking bollocks, and still do unfortunately for them. That was his aim, still is his aim, and if we don't make an operating profit, then he'll do it by selling a player, obviously staying in the premiership is better for the advertising and profile of Sports Direct, so that is the aim and the sole aim. Selling a player to make a profit is far easier than gambling on quality footballers and hoping to get into europe. He has sussed this out, probably after the first few months, the penny dropped on this particular score.

What next ? A Sports Direct logo on the shirts ? Definitely. After that, a red and blue away strip [to start with]. Don't be surprised.

I'm not that traditional I'm against change, but we will NOT see the money from all these deals, including this 8-10m quid Dekka has spoken about re the name change. He has already shown that this will not be the case. What the long term holds after that, is anybody guess.

Given I don't think he gives a shit what people think I'm more bothered that he thinks he's cracked it. We're 3rd after a 3rd of the season. Great but it's not exactly proof you can run a successful club without serious investment. And clubs like Bolton have come 6th and Everton have come 4th (in the post-Abramovich era as well) but they haven't been able to sustain it. It remains to be seen if we'll be able to keep this up. If we're still in the top 6/7 after two or three seasons then that's different.

Repeating myself, but I think the fan reaction is what he's after. Without it the name sports direct wouldn't be getting carried on the newswaves around the world free of charge.

it's not an inconsequential byproduct for him, but the aim, which is why he's renamed it twice now.

Repeating myself, but I think the fan reaction is what he's after. Without it the name sports direct wouldn't be getting carried on the newswaves around the world free of charge.

it's not an inconsequential byproduct for him, but the aim, which is why he's renamed it twice now.

Using the RIchard Branson form of business? Using the popular press as free advertising....

Good point.

SSN running the Llambias interview from 2009. He goes to great lengths to explain how in touch he is with the clubs history and how he would never mess with the name St James Park. Cunt

Did you notice the way he said they had been in touch with several leading branding agencies who had recommended this course of action which they then could not ignore. As if they'd spend the money for a start, but also then passing blame along to these unknown, unnamed, more than likely made up 'experts'.

Edited by trophyshy

Given I don't think he gives a shit what people think I'm more bothered that he thinks he's cracked it. We're 3rd after a 3rd of the season. Great but it's not exactly proof you can run a successful club without serious investment. And clubs like Bolton have come 6th and Everton have come 4th (in the post-Abramovich era as well) but they haven't been able to sustain it. It remains to be seen if we'll be able to keep this up. If we're still in the top 6/7 after two or three seasons then that's different.

I think he may well think he's cracked it, and the reaction of supporters to what is nothing more than a small good run is only amplifying that feeling and propelling it if anything.

If you don't keep your best players and attempt to go higher, then you don't sustain what turns out to be a flash in the pan, your comments on Everton prove it, its a perfect example, and some people actually wanted us to be like they were "because they had a chairman who didn't embarrass us"....something like that. Sorry.

:ninja:

It's quite depressing, tbh, to see people endorsing this direction of the club on the back of a few good results.

I'm not against change if it means backing managers and seeing a progressive club, but this is not the case here and is most def a step too far. Even though its been coming. As Stevie has pointed out, if we had actually moved ground, then it would be a different ball game, but we haven't.

Least the media are showing the hypocrisy of it all but it's not going to change anything. I think Llambias realises he's a fucking shit liar but doesn't care anway. Tom's point about the £35 million amounting to fuck all is a fair one as we were led to believe that it went on wages and agent fees etc. So, we get a player in on a 5 year deal, 30k a week, how much of this massive 8-10 million is gone?