Where were you born

McFaul

Where can you honestly say you were born  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sunderland's county (Durham).

Agree whole heartedly.

Really? It's a big place & Newcastle have always had a massive following from Durham Pre Keegan, pre Joe Harvey, pre most things. (particularly north)

I rate Sunderland as secondary to Durham itself to be honest, Sunderland is a shit hole & there's nothing to do there & even mackems will admit that, what do they have a greggs? Most people from Durham wouldn't dream of going to Sunderland and those who do go for football.

Sunderland's county my arse.

I'm sure a certain Sir Bobby Robson would've agreed with me on that one.

Tom most people I know regard North of the Tyne as Northumberland. This was Northumberland for 400 years, and Gateshead, Shields, Sunderland etc... Durham, just the way it was, and should've been. Some government legislation made Tyne & Wear, the mackems don't like being a part of it, and neither do I.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom most people I know regard North of the Tyne as Northumberland. This was Northumberland for 400 years, and Gateshead, Shields, Sunderland etc... Durham, just the way it was, and should've been. Some government legislation made Tyne & Wear, the mackems don't like being a part of it, and neither do I.

None the less It's got nothing to do with Durham :o

If anything Durham would encompass Sunderland - as Durham was always a city - see it's mighty Cathedral, whereas Sunderland had to win it in a competition. They are totally unrelated and piecing them together is borderline retarded - I don't care how many people fit into that bracket - seriously.

As a County, Durham has over twice the population of Sunderland.

Take into account that Durham Catherdral was pretty much the most influential in the north east and that probably included Tyneside. Anyway I digress...

None the less It's got nothing to do with Durham :o

If anything Durham would encompass Sunderland - as Durham was always a city - see it's mighty Cathedral, whereas Sunderland had to win it in a competition. They are totally unrelated and piecing them together is borderline retarded - I don't care how many people fit into that bracket - seriously.

As a County, Durham has over twice the population of Sunderland.

Take into account that Durham Catherdral was pretty much the most influential in the north east and that probably included Tyneside. Anyway I digress...

I think as pointed out west of the A1 in Durham is acceptable. East of it, the accent is too mackem not to be to regarded as such, but then again nee one can sit there and tell me Bryan Robson hasn't got a mackem accent, and he's from 200 yards from J69, and you're further south than him!

Bryan Robson was born 5 miles away from Sir Bobby Robson tbh! So we might have to bring it down to the nearest millimetre.

Besides having lived in Chester-le-Street it's pretty much 50/50.

Bryan Robson was born 5 miles away from Sir Bobby Robson tbh! So we might have to bring it down to the nearest millimetre.

Bobby was born in Sacriston which is 2 miles from Chester Le Street. In fact Chester Le Street has produced 3 England captains. Footballing hotbed tbh

As someone who has lived in Durham for 28 years I can assure you it has nowt to do with Sunderland. 2 completely different cities.

So not before 1974 is what you're saying? :o

And anyway it was referenced as county, not city. Before the days of T&W Newcastle was in Northumberland and Sunderland was in Durham. So what Rhys says is geographically correct.

Bobby was born in Sacriston which is 2 miles from Chester Le Street. In fact Chester Le Street has produced 3 England captains. Footballing hotbed tbh

I know where he was born I was going off google maps distance!

It's nee disgrace if you weren't born in Newcastle by the way.

:o

"Not that there's anything wrong with it"

Has anyone still got the post code graph I did for stevie a few years back. It should be in this thread.

Coldstream. Dad's from Allendale. We lived in Wark for a couple of years then moved down to Cornwall cause he got a job down there. Stayed until I was 24, then moved to London. Lived in Northumberland between 2003 and 2007, got married there and went to as many games as I could afford to. Including our CL exit to Partizan Belgrade.

I'll always be an outsider there but I love the city.

i was born and raised in the toon. haven't lived in god's land for the best part of two decades though. i'm constantly amazed everytime i go home as to how much the place has changed. and none of the boozers or clubs i used to go to even exist anymore.

I'd say the poll results show the saying 'anywhere you go, you'll always meet a Newcastle fan' (If that's a saying ...) is true.

Don't think I've ever met a Welsh, United fan. Has anyone?