Carling Cup 2011/12

Deano

So on the back of the win at Scunthorpe, do you guys think we can win it this season? Do we have a chance? How would you approach it.....Blood youth and rest key players or have a go at it?

A piece of silver wear would be nice, i'd rather we went for the FA Cup this year but if youth can get us far then why not have a go.

The draw is on Saturday.

This kind of thing is what earns you the stick on here, Deano. It's cloud cuckoo land stuff.

I like your positivity and attitude better than CT/Toonpack/the other Ashley apologists who reckon Fat Mike's bullshit and cost-cutting is "as good as it gets" and we'll never be a top half/top 6/top 4/etc side again, but we played like utter dogshit against a third division club and that prompts you to say we can go on and win it?

We have real and immediate problems. The squad is unbalanced, we're apparently about to start strengthening our relegation rivals by giving them our best player for free, and we have no left back. I don't think there's going to be any "fairy tale" for us this season, nor should we focus on cups.

What you said in the other thread about this squad not really being that far away from a top 7 finish was spot on. In an alternate universe where there was no Ashley and someone like Lerner was financing the club, we'd have every right to want to push on and buy those two quality strikers, quality LB and quality RB that we really need. But with Ashley, it's always nearer the pit than the summit. We're screwed and we look to be screwed for many years. It's much more likely that we'll go into the season with R. Taylor as our starting LB than it is than we'll spend 6 million euros on Enrique's replacement. You have to face facts at some point and realise that we're not going to make any sort of a splash this season, any more than we did last season, as long as the climate at the club remains unchanged...and that unfortunately we have no way of changing it.

I don't want you to turn into another miserable moaner like some others on here who think every loss means relegation and every new signing is bound to be shite, but some realism would improve your crack greatly and end the nastiness toward you.

If we managed to avoid Man U/City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool for a while we could go far. (not if we play like we did earlier mind you). Since the 2000s the likes of Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Leicester and Birmingham have won it so of course we can do it.

So on the back of the win at Scunthorpe, do you guys think we can win it this season? Do we have a chance? How would you approach it.....Blood youth and rest key players or have a go at it?

A piece of silver wear would be nice, i'd rather we went for the FA Cup this year but if youth can get us far then why not have a go.

The draw is on Saturday.

I can only presume that you were pissed when you posted the above bollocks; either that or you are as deluded as CT. As we struggled to beat a poor 3rd Division Team can you explain why you think our threadbare squad could now take on and beat the likes of Chelsea, Manure, City and the bin dippers?

The draw is on Saturday.

:icon_lol:

You're doing this deliberately, aren't you?

We'll never win fuck all man. Even we were drawn against League Two sides all the way to the final, we'd still manage to fuck it up, it's our destiny to win fuck all.

The draw is on Saturday.

:icon_lol:

You're doing this deliberately, aren't you?

At least he wants to wear the silver and not worry about a cup in silverware! :icon_lol:

3 games in, unbeaten, only one goal conceded - all aboard the sunshine, I mean positive, bus :icon_lol:

In reality though, great win but Portsmouth and Birmingham have been notable excpetions in terms of 'lesser' sides winning the cups in recent years (with the possible exception of Spurs :icon_lol: ).

3 games in, unbeaten, only one goal conceded - all aboard the sunshine, I mean positive, bus :icon_lol:

In reality though, great win but Portsmouth and Birmingham have been notable excpetions in terms of 'lesser' sides winning the cups in recent years (with the possible exception of Spurs :icon_lol: ).

Yup, and both got relegated and all, Leicester relegated, with a fair few outside of (spurs liverpool man.u and chelsea) all on the verge of relegation just for being in the finals as well.

Small squads and long cup runs do not mix.

Tbh Ant, I would absolutely love us to win it but I think you're right re: the squad thing. I could see there being pressure on Pardew to prioritise PL survival too. Anyway, pipe dream imo.

Yup, and both got relegated and all, Leicester relegated, with a fair few outside of (spurs liverpool man.u and chelsea) all on the verge of relegation just for being in the finals as well.

Small squads and long cup runs do not mix.

We have better squads than all of those that you mentioned did though.

Thing is, it's a cup, so if (like us) you're not a great side, it's all about getting the luck of the draw. Then anything is possible.