Steven Taylor

loonyTOON

Is so funny! The only cheeses he knows is cheddar, feta and babybell.

He said something though that was very true. At the time we were relegated, he was England U21 captain, scoring more than the strikers too. And he stuck by us, instead of jumping ships like a lot. Now I don't think he gets the credit on here that he probably deserves.

They also showed him the clip of the handball on the line where he goes down like he was shot. Funny he says, "thanks for that!" so good.

A proper Geordie through and through. I for one is glad he pulls on the black and white

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's doing well atm but I think he plays much better along side someone like Colo. If you put him alongside someone like Williamson I think his game drops. Prone to the odd senseless blunder but canny atm and lets be honest, we aint exactly blessed in that position currently. I rate Colo > Taylor > Williamson

Is so funny! The only cheeses he knows is cheddar, feta and babybell.

He said something though that was very true. At the time we were relegated, he was England U21 captain, scoring more than the strikers too. And he stuck by us, instead of jumping ships like a lot. Now I don't think he gets the credit on here that he probably deserves.

They also showed him the clip of the handball on the line where he goes down like he was shot. Funny he says, "thanks for that!" so good.

A proper Geordie through and through. I for one is glad he pulls on the black and white

I'll be the first to say I've been overly harsh. He's impressed a lot since he came back from injury, so credit where its due.

He was immense in the U21 semi final a few years back, but never pushed on. Hopefully he can do.

He came across quite well and up for a laugh especially when asked about Barton's tweets, just kept repeating that Barton is a top player over and over with a smirk on his face.

Never looks like he gets much sleep to me, always with the dark circles around his eyes.

I think having a footballing centre half like Coloccini next to him is helping him out massively, as he can concentrate solely on just being a defender and doing all of the dirty work. He still needs to improve his decision making, by that I mean when he gets a rush of blood to the head and thinks he's Franco Baresi by running up the pitch with the ball. Coloccini is good enough to do that, but he isn't.

All in all, he's looked a much better player this season, and long may it continue.

He does too much panicky pointing to some bewildering zones around the box every time the ball is in our half, while more often than not being totally out of position himself.

Scores more than his fair share, mind. Given our current predicament up front, he can perhaps be converted to a striker a la Paul Warhurst :D

I think having a footballing centre half like Coloccini next to him is helping him out massively, as he can concentrate solely on just being a defender and doing all of the dirty work. He still needs to improve his decision making, by that I mean when he gets a rush of blood to the head and thinks he's Franco Baresi by running up the pitch with the ball. Coloccini is good enough to do that, but he isn't.

All in all, he's looked a much better player this season, and long may it continue.

That's how i see it, he's playing well and really benefits from playing alongside Colo and his only bad moments have been when he thinks he's better than he is and tries some fancy football in the danger areas and nearly puts us in the shit. But this is definitely now our CB pairing, until they sell Colo obviously!

• 4 weeks later...
Thank the board! Taylor says Ashley and Co are key to Newcastle's good startBy Colin Young

Last updated at 12:09 AM on 27th September 2011

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor has praised the club’s board for playing their part in their unbeaten start to the new season.

Alan Pardew’s side remained in fourth after Saturday’s comfortable 3-1 home win over Blackburn and they also have the best defensive record in the Barclays Premier League.

Taylor is part of an ever-present back four in front of young goalkeeper Tim Krul and they have conceded just three goals so far.

Much-maligned owner Mike Ashley, and his managing director, Derek Llambias, have had their run-ins with supporters, and players during their tempestuous reign at St James’ Park.

But last season Newcastle only just missed out on eighth place on the final day, despite months of squabbling between the board and the entire squad over their bonuses.

That issue was resolved during the close season with the assistance of manager Pardew, who made solving the problem one of his priorities during the summer break.

Taylor believes that set the tone for the new campaign, which has also seen them reach the last 16 of the Carling Cup, and the squad’s ability to cope with the losses of Joey Barton, Jose Enrique and former captain Kevin Nolan.

Taylor, 25, said: ‘We will definitely benefit from stability. Last season the chairman and the players couldn’t come to an agreement about bonuses. We had a bit of a divide and that doesn’t help.

‘At the start of this season we sat down with the gaffer and I think it’s important that you have the chairman on your side.

‘He’s been great with us. He sat us down and gave the lads their bonuses for this season straight away.

The departed: Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton both left during the transfer window

‘He has just kept himself to himself, hasn’t bothered the players — has let us concentrate on the pitch and let the gaffer do his job. That’s what you want and it’s been good for us this season.

We will not get ahead of ourselves. Yes, we’ve had a great start but we’ve just got to go ahead and continue it now — the lads will look at the next game and that’s Wolves.

‘We’ve got players coming back from injuries — Hatem Ben Arfa and Davide Santon — which can only boost the squad and the competition the gaffer has. It means he can say, ‘‘Look, if you’re playing well you stay in the side’’.

‘That’s what the lads have done and the players have repaid him.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz1ZBduqcxt

He's doing well atm but I think he plays much better along side someone like Colo. If you put him alongside someone like Williamson I think his game drops. Prone to the odd senseless blunder but canny atm and lets be honest, we aint exactly blessed in that position currently. I rate Colo > Taylor > Williamson

I've always thought Steven Taylor is a potential top class central defender.

He needs to play in a team that is more successful, alongside better players, to improve.

People knock him for his "pointing" etc, whatever that is supposed to mean. Is it just criticising for the sake of it, because they think someone else raises a point and they feel they need to agree with it ?

My view of that, is you need leaders at the back, I don't see any problem whatsoever in pointing and directing. In fact, its a big plus.

He's no ball playing defender, but he's a solid stopper physical player who stands up when the going gets tough. It depends what you want from your central defenders.

Williamson can't lace his boots.

If playing alongside Colocinni is good for him, it only re-inforces the view that playing alongside better teams and players with more technical ability is good for him, to be correct.

The point being that a "ball playing defender" while advantageous in some circumstances, does not change the fact that a defenders first priority is to defend, and Steven Taylor is a natural defender, and a hard physical one who can more than hold his own against quality strikers, especially in the premiership where it is a physical game.

I think the problem with Saylor is that he'll lose his cool and launch into a tackle and stupidly get sent off. I think he's calming down, a lot, but there's still that will to win that sometimes leads him down daft avenues.

As countless others have noted, he works well with Colo. Despite neither of them having any pace of note they've very different players. Colo reads the game well and is technically very good, Taylor throws his body about well, is good in the air and adds to our attack in set pieces.

The pointing is not the problem with Taylor, it's the fact that it generally comes after he has made a mistake and refuses to own up to it. This has gotten better of late. He does have a touch of the Danny Simpson's about him when a player has the ball in a dangerous position in that he'll back off and try to block the shot rather than make the tackle. This couldd be a good thing in many ways because he's a little clumsy and could easily give away more penalties if he commits to tackles.

I like the enthusiasm that he plays with, definitely need players like that in the side. With Barton gone we're one down on that front, though Cabaye seems to have a bit of it about him. By comparison Williamson doesn't offer that same enthusiasm, or the danger in set pieces despite being a good few inches taller.