Newcastle v Chelsea Sat 3rd Dec, 12.45pm - Sold out!

ChezGiven

Article on Chelsea's suicidal pressing game this season.

I'd be shocked if we don't go with the same line-up from the City game, with Obertan coming in for Jonas, Sammi on the left.

AVB hinted he's revert to 4-3-3 with Drogba after the Carling Cup loss. I think that would mean Sturridge on the bench and Malouda/Mata up top.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'll probably be between Gosling and Sammy who Pardew starts the morn. If he brings in Gosling he'd probably go with a 4-3-3 with Obertan and Ben Arfa on the wings, and having 3 in the middle would help us out a bit more defensively if Ben Arfa isn't giving Taylor the cover he'll need. If Sammy comes in it'll just be basically the same formation we played against City, plus with him being left-footed it would mean he'd be able to get at Bosingwa instead of having to keep checking back on his left.

Not liking the Idea of Raylor up against someone like Mata with no Jonas to save his arse. He's such a big liability its ridiculous, wonder who Pardoo's going to play instead of Jonas and what role that guy will be expected to play because we dont have another winger who does the same amount of work. One possibility is Guthrie on the wing, HBA in centre midfield and Best comes back in. I'd be more tempted to put give Santon a try and put Raylor in front of him with HBA in the floating role behind Ba and Best on the bench. Their defence is shaken and lacking confidence, the last thing you need at a time like this is someone like HBA having freedom to go at you. Cole has been below par too so perhaps some joy on the wing for Obertan as well.

Mata plays through the middle.

Yep but you see him floating down the wings quite often, and he has played there a fair bit. I'd be surprised if Chelsea dont identify LB as our weakness and have Mata run at him. Anyway like someone said its possible they'll revert to the 4-3-3 and in that case it wont be Mata through the middle.

Agree though that in the end we shouldn't worry about it too much, Raylor will struggle against anybody and Chelsea have got their own problems which we are well equipped to exploit.

He's been decidedly average this season imo. I've seen pretty much every game before people start, and he hasn't come anywhere near the level he was playing at last year. If we got offered £15mil+ I would take it. On the proviso we could get a half decent replacement.

All this talk of absolute confidence (like 2bias mentioned being spoken of on the radio) is a bit much. Yes, considering the state they're in—they could be taken. But if anyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion, they need their head read.

Chelsea have a great squad.

All this talk of absolute confidence (like 2bias mentioned being spoken of on the radio) is a bit much. Yes, considering the state they're in—they could be taken. But if anyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion, they need their head read.

Chelsea have a great squad.

Yup. A draw would be a good result, especially with Jonas out. With Raylor and Sammy I'm concerned that our left side will be like a motorway for them.

Aye, I'd take a point. I think a win has been unlikely in our last two games but today, it's a real possibility but Chelsea looked alright last week against Wolves ( I kna, they're shit but still) so I hope their suicidal defensive play lets them down. Hope Ben Arfa runs at Terry all day because that daft cunt is bound to lunge in on him.

Aye, I'd take a point. I think a win has been unlikely in our last two games but today, it's a real possibility but Chelsea looked alright last week against Wolves ( I kna, they're shit but still) so I hope their suicidal defensive play lets them down. Hope Ben Arfa runs at Terry all day because that daft cunt is bound to lunge in on him.

That is what I am hoping for. That their ridiculous defence turns up, We can easily knock one or two in. I just hope we can continue to be tight at the back. Quinnie has us at 2-1 on TalkSport. I fancy 1-0

Of the three games its obviously the most winnable and would be even without the home ground advantage. I honestly can see doing them over.

The worry for those 'easier' games coming up after today is that after being ultra motivated for these three big games we could be a bit flat against the likes of Norwich and Swansea in the coming weeks. And thats a worry that I think is justified regardless of tongiht's result.

Loven for all his shortcomings, and there are a few, will work hard. Sammy, the other option, may have given the ball away a bit too much, he seems to run himself into a corner sometimes and turning the ball over easily could be dangerous against a Villas Boas side.

Essien is due back in december as well can't see tiote going to chelsea tbh (which probably means they'll say january until the african nations squads are announced then he'll mysteriously be fit and not have to go)

Tiote being injured for longer than was originally thought is a worry though.. Remember the last time a key player was mysteriously out 'injured' longer than expected leading into January?

Good lad Jeff Stelling, St James Park

'Live from the Sports Direct Arena'. That no mark cunt presenting the Sky coverage can fuck right off.

Edit: Though the program information lists the game as taking place at SJP.

Edited by ewerk