The No. 10.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played like he doesn't expect to be here past the summer today, and on that performance he shouldn't be. Walking around with hunched shoulders, hands on hips. Think he'll be back in Ligue Un come next season.

Played like he was rusty - short of match time and confidence and had no fludity with the rest of the team - mind you the rest of the team were appalling bad during the period he was on the pitch.

Aye, he seemed to spend a fraction too long looking up at what was going on when he had the ball, instead of driving on instinctively like he probably would if he was "match sharp". Frustrated me when he got the ball one on one with the left back in the last two minutes, and he was waiting for the fullback to commit, fullback didnt, ended up having three wolves players on him before he made his move, rather than going at the full back whilst one-on-one.

We should be building our team around him, simple as. He is by far our most gifted player and is the type of player we are lacking on the pitch, someone with a creative spark. Our best form of defence is attack.

We should be building our team around him, simple as. He is by far our most gifted player and is the type of player we are lacking on the pitch, someone with a creative spark. Our best form of defence is attack.

He's a confidence player.

You do not gain confidence by sitting on the bench.

So Ben Arfa starts and is shit and it's because we don't play to his strengths or he's rusty. Here comes on as a sub and plays shit and it's because he should have started. :lol:

Better teams would have punished him losing the ball so much today

Ben Arfa gets away with his non-performances because he "adds spark" to the team, it's other player's faults for not moving around him enough, and he keeps the ball on the ground. Shame he actually doesn't do much with it.

Really needs to up his game. Definitely lacking confidence and could do with a full 90, but if he's not worthy of a start according to his manager then that is what it is.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

I don't think anyone's suggesting he had anything other than a poor cameo performance, just trying to add some context to it.

I wouldn't play HBA over either of our front men and yet he seems to struggle when out wide for us, like he needs space all around him in which to operate. With two up top such a lighweight defender can't be afforded through the middle....

Echo the sentiment of whoever else said it - if he's not going to get meaningful time in the first team then give him a run in the reserves to get some match fitness and cohesion as well as confidence going.

Had the ONLY two decent shots in the second half. Yes he gave the ball away today but I think pretty much the whole team was guilty of that today. The lad is a massive talent - we just need to take a leaf out of City's book, they have built their team around Silva, and we need to do the same with Ben Arfa. Minutes on the pitch this season Ben Arfa has done pretty well.

Had one of the two shots he had gone in (and they weren't far out) then things would be a lot different here. I admit it was frustrating to see him losing the ball so often, but apart from maybe one occasion when he should have crossed instead of running it out of play, it was rare that there was anything on for him except the Obertan style back pass to Simpson.

It was an awkward time for anyone to come on, regardless of who it was. The players' heads were down after letting a two goal lead slip, and Ba was hardly at his best. It is just because we have such high expectations of Ben Arfa. In my view, he needs a decent run out of a few games before we actually decide whether or not he is worth it. On yesterdays performance we would have never wanted to see Guthrie in a black and white shirt again, yet we have seen how much good a run in the team can do for him.

For me I'm still got him filed under 'promising 'but unsure he'll make it here . A few home games ago Pardew could be heard bawling at him "head up Hatem, head up" as he went by the dugout . Obviously something they're working on . I think all his "my troubled upbringing/nobody understands me" shit manifests itself on the pitch with a 'i'll show them, i am an island' kind of approach - head down and try and dribble past the whole team . It obviously doesn't work like that and I'm of the opinion it's the kids' attitude that is pretty central to this.

Pardew publically commenting (rightly or wrongly) earlier in the season that he "needs to understand what we're about as a team" was pretty telling . He's meant to be an awkward punter off the pitch too . Like has been said earlier, his body language looks all wrong. When he was being briefed before goin on he was very nonchalant and all that was missing was a cartoon speech bubble saying "aye whatever" . He's faulty .

He's hardly played any football for a month you muppets. [/facepalm]

For him to get games, Pardew has to feel as if he can trust him.Less of his "best player in the playground" bullshit and more actual team play (i.e. passing instead of losing the ball when in possesion) and he'd be in the team. At the moment, he's a liability. The balls in his court as it were, do as Pardew asks and do it properly and we may even have won yesterday.

There were much worse players on the pitch for us yesterday, why not have a look at the others performances instead of keep blaming the same players over and over again ffs?

I don't think anyone has "singled him out" it's just he does not merit the blind man-love he get's from way to many.

There were much worse players on the pitch for us yesterday, why not have a look at the others performances instead of keep blaming the same players over and over again ffs?

I don't think anyone has "singled him out" it's just he does not merit the blind man-love he get's from way to many.

It's the logic behind everyones reasoning for why we lose that gets to me.

• If we lose and Obertan plays it's Obertans fault.
  • if we lose and Ben Arfa doesnt play its Pardew's fault.
  • If Ben Arfa plays and doesnt live up to his almighty expectations its reason for him not to play whilst others have poor games and none of them get mentioned.

Look at Cabaye yesterday, he done nothing, Ba was poor aswell. People are scapegoating the same players over and over again without looking further afield

I think most people with any sense realise we are not doing better because we are creating very few opportunities.

This has been the way of our season and as Happy face says we have in a lot of cases managed to grind out results.

I blame anyone whose job it is to create chances for the strikers whether that be the wingers or Cabaye.

The players we have should be able to create bag fulls of opportunities against teams like Wolves. Why we seem unable to do it is a mystery.

If I had to try and put my finger on why I would suggest Pardew is too over cautious, however that does not excuse the calibre of players we have, playing like that.