mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

In order to do that though you can't be making the losses that they are. They've a lot of players on big contracts that no other club wants. The only hope for them is to survive until those contracts are run down and then rebuild sensibly. In the mean time they're still servicing a £70m loan at 7.5%+Libor. That alone will eat into their cash flow.

Short washing his hands of the whole thing would be a real possibility.

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

They don't have anyone really worth selling, not on the wages they're on. Their stadium is only really of value if it is being used for football and obviously the only club who will use it is SAFC. It could be knocked down for housing (I assume, I'm not familiar with the area) but that would see it sold for a reasonably low price. They basically have no assets of significant value when compared to their debt.

Their debt is manageable if they get into the top flight. Once they're back in the land of milk and honey, that debt can be eaten away at. That's why I can't understand failing to spend money now.

It may be manageable in the top flight but only Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal have higher levels of debt and obviously it's much easier to manage for clubs of that size. It still wouldn't help solve all their problems without a drastic cut in costs.

Edited by ewerk

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Their debt is manageable if they get into the top flight. Once they're back in the land of milk and honey, that debt can be eaten away at. That's why I can't understand failing to spend money now.

You keep assuming he has the money though. He very legitimately may not. And as ewerk says he's been throwing money at then for years. They owe Short alone something like £100m don't they? Why would he think it'll go any better this time.

I read he made his money from asset stripping. If that's true he'll know exactly what to do here, and he's likely heartless enough to do it.

There's a thread on rtg now about how much impact falling attendances will have on all of this. It'll become a bigger deal as parachute payments reduce, that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You keep assuming he has the money though. He very legitimately may not. And as ewerk says he's been throwing money at then for years. They owe Short alone something like £100m don't they? Why would he think it'll go any better this time.

I read he made his money from asset stripping. If that's true he'll know exactly what to do here, and he's likely heartless enough to do it.

There's a thread on rtg now about how much impact falling attendances will have on all of this. It'll become a bigger deal as parachute payments reduce, that's for sure.

He's got a billion quid, and while some of it may be stuck in shares, he can still access it. It's not like their relegation was a shock, so he had plenty of time to sort that out. 

Say your mate owes you £3k, and you can either get £1k back now, or loan him another £1k so he can get to work and repay you the full £4k over the next few years, what would you do?

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He's got a billion quid, and while some of it may be stuck in shares, he can still access it. It's not like their relegation was a shock, so he had plenty of time to sort that out. 

Say your mate owes you £3k, and you can either get £1k back now, or loan him another £1k so he can get to work and repay you the full £4k over the next few years, what would you do?

From a financial point of view I'd take the £1k now. Given that I could invest that plus the £1k I'm not giving him, and earn more from them. From a sentimental point of view I'd loan him the extra money. Which of the two approaches do you think made Short a billionaire?

And again, why do you think liquidating his shares to help Sunderland is something he would want to do? He is an investor. He won't be sitting on hundreds of millions in his bank account, it would be a waste of his money. Instead, almost all of it will be tied up in other investments. Why should he sell those for Sunderland?

I would honestly be surprised if he has more than a few million stashed away in cash for a rainy day. And again, why give that to Sunderland?

Edited by Rayvin

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Have him killed 

• Like 3

Aye, banks tend not to trust people that will say if they could borrow a bit more and have more time they'll get the bank all their money back. Sunderland aren't looking like a good bet for a bank to recoup their money from, if a bank could get some part of what they are owed they may well take it rather than gambling as to what they'd get from administration proceedings. It can also get a bit ropey if certain lenders can recoup what they are owed just before administration proceedings begin, as it's seen as unfair on the other lenders. Banks will try but I just mean that's another reason some may come in and take as much as they can rather than wait for Short to come swooping in with the full amount. 

Short has been pumping fucking fortunes into them since Quinn sold him down the river with his bs about how good Sunderland are, I think he's getting close to the end of giving a fuck if he hasn't hit that point already. He's clearly not going to pump the money in in the hope they'll go back up, he may well just let it fall into administration sell the club for cheap and then look to arbitrate with the administrators how much he can get for what he's owed (that's if he has set his payments up as loans like Ashley). 

Edited by Howay

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

From a financial point of view I'd take the £1k now. Given that I could invest that plus the £1k I'm not giving him, and earn more from them. From a sentimental point of view I'd loan him the extra money. Which of the two approaches do you think made Short a billionaire?

And again, why do you think liquidating his shares to help Sunderland is something he would want to do? He is an investor. He won't be sitting on hundreds of millions in his bank account, it would be a waste of his money. Instead, almost all of it will be tied up in other investments. Why should he sell those for Sunderland?

I would honestly be surprised if he has more than a few million stashed away in cash for a rainy day. And again, why give that to Sunderland?

Because if he doesn't bail Sunderland out that investment is a calamity. If he does bail them out now, he could recoup money on that investment, if he doesn't he absolutely won't. Any potential buyer is going to pay pennies on the pound, aren't they? If he pumps in enough to keep them afloat they'll pay more. Surely? A League 1 club, in administration, with no saleable assets, is worth fuck all. A Championship club, operating on a shoestring, is worth a lot more than that.

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Have him killed 

Rock and roll.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Because if he doesn't bail Sunderland out that investment is a calamity. If he does bail them out now, he could recoup money on that investment, if he doesn't he absolutely won't. Any potential buyer is going to pay pennies on the pound, aren't they? If he pumps in enough to keep them afloat they'll pay more. Surely? A League 1 club, in administration, with no saleable assets, is worth fuck all. A Championship club, operating on a shoestring, is worth a lot more than that.

Rock and roll.

Yep that's true. That fact alone will be staying his hand but I assure you he won't jeopardise other, profitable, investments to save it. Especially as there are no guarantees about any expenditure having the desired effect.

Best case scenario now is that they get stripped right back and spend a few years getting things under control again. But if they run out of money and the bank starts calling, he isn't going to save them iyam.

You're reaching a point where he may have to pump more money in to have them in that stable Championship club on a shoestring position mentioned than the difference in market value between a club in that position and a one in League One that's undergoing administration. It's also worth noting he'd probably have to keep owning them for another 2 years to steer them into a position like that (due to the contracts and other things mentioned by ewerk), at that point it's also wasting time capital and tying up funds in an attempt to recoup extra losses rather than just cutting them and moving on. 

Edited by Howay

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Yep that's true. That fact alone will be staying his hand but I assure you he won't jeopardise other, profitable, investments to save it. Especially as there are no guarantees about any expenditure having the desired effect.

Best case scenario now is that they get stripped right back and spend a few years getting things under control again. But if they run out of money and the bank starts calling, he isn't going to save them iyam.

I get what you're saying about sacrificing good investments to try and fix a bad one, and perhaps it's my attitude to risk, but I'd rather turn around a bad investment to make it an ok investment and then offload it, rather than write off that money all together. To me, that money isn't lost to Short yet. If he wanted out, he should have dumped Premier League Sunderland at a bargain price of £150m, say. Because, as it stands, they're not worth that and without investment they're only going to reduce in value.

Best case scenario for who? ;) 

:nufc:

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Anyway, anyone got any tips for any football fan websites? I feel like a roam somewhere.....

Howayman Howmanheyman, divvint be posting stuff that winnit open owerseas.