mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Which is why I asked about quality managers. I would count Koeman as one, albeit not totally proven. De Boer could be one and was a bit of a coup for Palace. However, Everton are showing ambition and spending money. De Boer must've been promised some at Palace. My point is that should we fuck over Benitez we wouldn't be able to attract that sort of manager as they would know that the club aren't prepared to back them.

I agree that we would find it hard to find a high profile/quality manager if Benitez was messed about with transfers, but what I'm saying is, we go Benitez in as manager when Pardew was sacked and he was toyed with, with funds,a s well as being crap mind... but the issue is, this club will still attract a top quality manager or a high profile one if the wages pull him in, even if on a false transfer promise, because it's a massive pay day for him and also he gets to keep his high profile.

It's a no lose situation in reality, because our club is deemed a poisoned chalice that affords a semblance of pity to any departing quality manager.

Like I said: football is sold to the devil and has been for long enough. 

Managers of a loyal mindset and the inner fire to take a club to the top are only fired by blank cheques and are in no way worried about failing due to the ridiculous contracts they are on.

1 hour ago, wolfy said:

this club will still attract a top quality manager or a high profile one =

Apart from Rafa who is the last quality and/or high profile manager we attracted?

46 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Such a defeatist attitude talking about who will replace Benitez :lol:

For fucks sake have some positivity for a change, the future is bright. 

Yeah, I mean what possible reason could anyone have to be cynical about the owner's intentions?

I'd rather be positive and concentrate on the season ahead rather than buy into any negativity from media sources and such.

Let's be honest, there's nothing any of us can do, no matter what happens, be it Rafa going or getting shafted or Fred Bloggs from bell end athletic taking over and buying in 25 conference players whilst giving away the rest.

Basically speaking, the fan has lost his/her voice and input, in the grand scheme of things.

It's losing/lost its soul to the devil, so we might as well just enjoy the ride for what it is and for what it serves up.

11 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

My point being that they haven't even kicked a ball yet and you lot are talking about Rafa leaving. Football fans can be right miserable cunts :lol:

Because of the possibility of Rafa leaving and the owner's record I don't really give much of a fuck any more as opposed to being miserable about what might happen. Wasn't it you who said apathy is Ashley's biggest legacy (or words to that effect)? Anyway, whoever said it was right. Denying the possibility of it happening and being positive for the sake of (not even sure how one would go about attempting to fool oneself anyway) seems utterly self-defeating and nonsensical though.

I did say that, and I was the most apathetic person you could meet not that long ago. But that was when we were sinking, the very real possibility that Rafa would leave and the club was in disarray and zero light at the end of the tunnel. Things are a lot more positive around the club now and finally we can look forward and not back. Listen, I understand that it's been somewhat frustrating for Rafa this summer, there's still time to bring a couple of players in before the window shuts and let's just see how we get on instead of speculating when he will leave. Too many people believe the media bullshit.

3 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I did say that, and I was the most apathetic person you could meet not that long ago. But that was when we were sinking, the very real possibility that Rafa would leave and the club was in disarray and zero light at the end of the tunnel. Things are a lot more positive around the club now and finally we can look forward and not back. Listen, I understand that it's been somewhat frustrating for Rafa this summer, there's still time to bring a couple of players in before the window shuts and let's just see how we get on instead of speculating when he will leave. Too many people believe the media bullshit.

Agree with this. I think people are panicking a bit too much off the back of some snippets in the media. Also worth remembering that the media fully expect the whole Rafa project to fall apart because at Newcastle, that's how it always go. It's a safe bet for them to write the sorts of things they have done. Doesn't mean it's written in the stars though.

Every direct quote from Rafa though shows little more than a general frustration with the situation concerning transfers. Add to that the fact that I read somewhere that he'd never walked away from a post before, I don't think we have to worry too much. I also don't understand why so many people think we're going to struggle to avoid the drop. The team we have may not be as 'high quality' as the one that got relegated, but they're harder working and with a better attitude. At the lower end of the PL, that stuff matters.

30 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Agree with this. I think people are panicking a bit too much off the back of some snippets in the media. Also worth remembering that the media fully expect the whole Rafa project to fall apart because at Newcastle, that's how it always go. It's a safe bet for them to write the sorts of things they have done. Doesn't mean it's written in the stars though.

Every direct quote from Rafa though shows little more than a general frustration with the situation concerning transfers. Add to that the fact that I read somewhere that he'd never walked away from a post before, I don't think we have to worry too much. I also don't understand why so many people think we're going to struggle to avoid the drop. The team we have may not be as 'high quality' as the one that got relegated, but they're harder working and with a better attitude. At the lower end of the PL, that stuff matters.

Better organised, motivated and more balanced too.

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

Ashley has to know Benitez is the best chance of staying up 

I'm not convinced Ashley understands that Benitez needs to be supported for long term success only because I don't think he, Ashley, understands what is needed to both get success and then maintain it.

and growing the Newcastle "brand"? Surely?

This is different and I suspect Ashley is more than clued in on how much Benitez is pulling in for the NUFC brand.  A midweek ticket based Q&A filled the stadium bar.  The last pre-season friendly was packed and the store hadn't expected the volume of sales before the game - the black away strips were almost sold out or at least they didn't have the staff to refill the shelves.

On 08/08/2017 at 3:35 PM, Rayvin said:

I don't know man. His post match interview on Sunday spoke volumes about his relationship with Ashley. Unless he's backed between now and the end of the window, I fear the worst. 

25 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Even more shocking is theres only 1 knacker on the whole thread defending him

There'll be a few too afraid to comment publicly, but privately bemoaning SJW snowflakes.

38 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don't know man. His post match interview on Sunday spoke volumes about his relationship with Ashley. Unless he's backed between now and the end of the window, I fear the worst. 

In fairness I wrote that a week ago. Agree that the situation appears to have deteriorated since, although I'm still not convinced he'll just walk away.