mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

The idea that they can go down and do what we're doing is nonsense. They'll be in deep, deep financial trouble.

Their squad is also fucking tragic, we at least knew we had some half decent players in it to build upon. Imagine a 35 year old Defoe in the Championship, he'd either retire or be injured every game I just can't see him being arsed, the mackems are already getting on his back for not bothering now.

I agree with what SEW was saying, they'd have to rebuild and it'd take them a few seasons down there tbh. The problem with this league is the longer you're down here the harder it is to get back up as obviously the players you attract become Championship level rather than those lower prem types.

Edited by Howay

That's what the parachute payment is for. It would be more akin to what Villa are just starting to do with Bruce after the season they had last year

Parachute payments won't even cover their operating costs. They're losing circa £25m a season now. To suggest they'll be anything like Villa, who have a record Championship net spend, is also laughable.

Most teams haven't had 5 managers on long term contracts in the space of 3 seasons. Di Canio, Allardyce, Moyes and Poyet had an average of 18 games each and each signed 5-10 players in the transfer windows they had

There comes a point where Short just needs to stick with what he's got, even if that means getting relegated and rebuilding the club. The irony is it's probably cost him more to finish around 17th and sack a manager every few months than it would have losing the TV money post relegation

Given that, even in the first year of parachute payments they'd be something like £60m worse off that last bit seems unlikely and also, I think, explains why they're continually prepared to gamble on sacking their manager to stay in the league. And they got compensation for Allardyce which probably went a long way to paying for Moyes. In terms of a long-term plan then biting the bullet and sticking with what they would make sense but when has logic ever been applied to clubs in the Premier League? The new money just adds to all that. We'll see, I suppose. I would fucking love him to stay like.

Parachute payments won't even cover their operating costs. They're losing circa £25m a season now. To suggest they'll be anything like Villa, who have a record Championship net spend, is also laughable.

I think that's fair, I think a drop and rebuilding is probably the absolute best thing that they can hope for now, they could financially blow up as they're that much of a fucking mess. I'd love to see them do a double drop and stay in the lower leagues, it's something they stupidly thought would happen to us but I think it's far more likely to happen to them. 

I think the best case scenario for us would be if they kept big eyes and then sacked him when they got relegated, imagine the fucking clip of managerial candidates they would attract? a newly relegated team, shit squad, no morale or fight in the squad, and no fucking money to buy players, oh aye and you have to sell the dirge you have just to level the books let alone to buy players :lol: Has Paul Jewell got a club?

Given that, even in the first year of parachute payments they'd be something like £60m worse off that last bit seems unlikely and also, I think, explains why they're continually prepared to gamble on sacking their manager to stay in the league. And they got compensation for Allardyce which probably went a long way to paying for Moyes. In terms of a long-term plan then biting the bullet and sticking with what they would make sense but when has logic ever been applied to clubs in the Premier League? The new money just adds to all that. We'll see, I suppose. I would fucking love him to stay like.

I hope he stays too, chances are the likes of Pearson will get a tune out of them for 6 months til he falls out with the entire squad and gets sackes

I hope he stays too, chances are the likes of Pearson will get a tune out of them for 6 months til he falls out with the entire squad and gets sackes

Aye it's defintitely possible when you look at what they've done in recent years. And I totally get what you're saying about Short and what would be the best thing to do. I just think (especially given his record) a couple more losses in the next couple of games (at the most) and Short'll shit his pants and sack Moyes. It'll also have a lot to do with whose agents have been onto the club too. I would imagine that, were Allardyce willing to return, then Sunderland would have him back in a shot. That, followed by relegation, coupled with our going back the other way would be too funny

I honestly don't think Allardyce would go back. He was making noises about walking away from the job even before the England talk. I think he did as well as he could with the squad that he had and he knows that. Stoke, Palace, Swansea, Hull or West Brom will probably be his next stop

It's a weaker side than the one that he only just managed to get to 17th in a season with one of the worst teams in Premier League history. I can't see him going back there this year, but taking them up from the Championship might interest him. Plus it'd mean that he can keep hold of his "Never been relegated" lie while still managing a club he clearly has a passion for.

I wonder if the Chinese investors that cooled their interest in Sunderland were the same ones that were so keen on us that they were willing to prove they had the funds? 

They can't decide whether they relegated is or Rafa did & prefer to hold the two opinion simultaneously.

For me once Rafa came in the following relegated us -

1. Lino allowing Aguero's 3 yard offside goal -

2. Everton throwing the match against the mackems to get Martinez sacked (just look at the keeper's performance in that match :lol:

3. Okazaki goal for Leicester - Vardy was offside when he played the assist.

4. The derby - Kone flattened Mitrovic in the box, stonewall penalty.

Any of them in any order. I thought Rafa did OK TBH.

Anyway it'll be lovely watching them implode, they deserve it :)

Having Steve McClaren for over three quarters of the season is what relegated us, if we stood any chance of staying up Rafa should have had from the January window or at the very least that two week break after Chelsea demolished us. The fact Rafa got that train wreck to within 1 point of staying up isn't something they should keep bringing up.

they could financially blow up as they're that much of a fucking mess. 

Every time a new story comes out about their financial status I think they're getting closer and closer to this.   W

I'm not sure he would either tbh. I think he knows it would be a really hard job and that he'll get other offers come the summer (if not before)

Why would he?  He can stay away and always be the guy who saved Sunderland last season and did no wrong or become another manager who failed.

They can't decide whether they relegated is or Rafa did & prefer to hold the two opinion simultaneously.

For me once Rafa came in the following relegated us -

1. Lino allowing Aguero's 3 yard offside goal -

2. Everton throwing the match against the mackems to get Martinez sacked (just look at the keeper's performance in that match :lol:

3. Okazaki goal for Leicester - Vardy was offside when he played the assist.

4. The derby - Kone flattened Mitrovic in the box, stonewall penalty.

Any of them in any order. I thought Rafa did OK TBH.

Anyway it'll be lovely watching them implode, they deserve it :)

I think @@Renton once posted that they're like the Grinch who stole Christmas looking down on Whoville and can't understand why nobody is sad.  

Having Steve McClaren for over three quarters of the season is what relegated us, if we stood any chance of staying up Rafa should have had from the January window or at the very least that two week break after Chelsea demolished us. The fact Rafa got that train wreck to within 1 point of staying up isn't something they should keep bringing up.

Nah, apparently they/Rafa relegated us. And we're too deluded to see that. 

Rafa had long enough to rescue us because in other seasons, with different circumstances, different players, different opposition and different requirements, different managers managed to keep up a different team. :good:

They relegated us with their win against Everton because Rafa played two defensive midfielders away to Aston Villa. :scratchchin:

Rafa is as much to blame as McClaren despite having 0 transfer windows to Steve's 2, despite having 10 games to Steves 28, despite having to undo Steve's mess. :nah:

They're livid we didn't have a melt-down upon dropping into the 2nd tier, they're livid everything is going well on Tyneside and they're livid it's all returned to shit on Wearside. 

:lol:

Remember that we definitely weren't getting Rafa to join us, he definitely wouldn't stay if we went down, and of course he wouldn't be a success in that league because it's tough and he's got no experience getting teams promoted, and anyway it doesn't matter because anyone could lead an expensively assembled squad to win that tinpot league, as long as it's Newcastle's expensively assembled squad and not Aston Villa's...

FTM!

Rafa had long enough to rescue us because in other seasons, with different circumstances, different players, different opposition and different requirements, different managers managed to keep up a different team. :good:

They relegated us with their win against Everton because Rafa played two defensive midfielders away to Aston Villa. :scratchchin:

Rafa is as much to blame as McClaren despite having 0 transfer windows to Steve's 2, despite having 10 games to Steves 28, despite having to undo Steve's mess. :nah:

They're livid we didn't have a melt-down upon dropping into the 2nd tier, they're livid everything is going well on Tyneside and they're livid it's all returned to shit on Wearside. 

Remember that we definitely weren't getting Rafa to join us, he definitely wouldn't stay if we went down, and of course he wouldn't be a success in that league because it's tough and he's got no experience getting teams promoted, and anyway it doesn't matter because anyone could lead an expensively assembled squad to win that tinpot league, as long as it's Newcastle's expensively assembled squad and not Aston Villa's...

FTM!

Yes, yes, yes. :lol:

FTM!

Don't forget we won relegation. 

:lol: I love that they're using it to have a pop at us, they deserve the absolute shit show that they are being served up. Keep turning up for the free tickets, keep just getting grumpy and leaving after your lot concede the 3rd goal why the fuck will Short be pressured to do anything if the fans are happy to sit on their hands simply to point score against us?

If they want to attribute Pardew being out to us protesting (I don't but they have used that to point score) then you can thank that for us having a manager of Benitez's caliber.

Edited by Howay